Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sharing pics of my trip to Canton for DT's Induction...

Hybrid View

Default Sharing pics of my trip to Canton for DT's Induction...

Prior to sharing my pics, I'd like to share first a bit of a personal story. I've been a Chiefs fan since I was a kid, my dad becoming a fan in '63 when they moved to KC...I was raised with Red & Gold blood, haha.

As with many Chiefs fans, DT became my all time favorite Chief...not only as a result of his obvious talent as an athelete, but for who he was as a human being...his huge heart & compassion towards helping others.

I can honestly state, that although I didn't know DT personally, I felt much love for him as a Chief on field, & for the person he was off field. I never visited DT's modest home in suburban KC, but he visited mine weekly. I knew him, though he didn't know me.

When DT tragically lost his life, at some point amidst my tears, shock, & sadness...it occurred to me that someday DT would be inducted into the NFL HOF. I considered the thought of DT's future Induction, from that point forward as being his final big play in the NFL. I made myself a promise, that come hell or high water I would be there personally to witness DT's Induction Ceremony. I saw my presence there being my way of honoring and thanking DT for all he gave from his body, heart & soul as a Chief to his team and fans, as well as his contributions to the Kansas City community.

I miss Derrick, and to this day still find myself at times looking for the #58 on the field of play. Derrick is on God's Pro-Bowl team now, and no doubt is smiling down upon Arrowhead each & every game day. :)

This is me early Thursday morning meeting my daughter to say goodbye. Although I have two DT's jerseys, one autographed & one to wear...the DT #58 jersey I'm holding is my brother Ricky's. DT was Ricky's favorite Chief too, & this jersey was his favorite piece of Chiefs gear. Ricky passed away in Feb. 2008 of kidney disease, but had he lived, without doubt would've been beside me in Canton for DT's induction. I chose to take & wear Ricky's jersey to DT's Induction Ceremony...representing Ricky being present in spirit. :)

Once in Canton, Cindy & I met up with a friend, Kelly, from Wisconsin, who is also an avid Chiefs fan. He drove to Canton with his son Brett, son's friend Brian, and met his brother, Chad, there also, who lives in Ohio. In this pic from left to right are my friend Cindy, Brian, Kelly, me, Chad, and Brett is in front. We tailgated in a nearby parking lot Saturday, inbetween visiting the HOF, mingling with fellow Chiefs fans.

Awesome pics. Looks like a happy group

Resident Celebrity

The pics are too big, oops! Sorry, haha...I've reduced the remaining. :)

X-Factor was also in Canton, mingling among fans inside the HOF along with Superfans from other NFL teams. He later joined our tailgating group.

I have a DT #58 Tattoo on my ankle, which seemed to be appreciated by fellow Chiefs fans spotting it, including X-Factor, and he is taking a pic of my #58 tattoo in this photo.

Me talking to other fellow Chiefs fans arriving in the parking lot near the HOF. Our group was the only group I saw tailgating, and we shared our food with all passer byers, including fellow Chiefs fans of course. :)

Me, X-Factor, and a couple from Oregon attending DT's Induction Ceremony.

Remembering DT in discussion & thought...

Several former Chief players & other NFL personalities were mingling among the fans outside of the HOF. Former Chief Kevin Ross admiring my DT #58 tattoo, also in the pic are former Chief Martin Bayless. I'm sorry, but I'm not sure who the gentleman in the Ohio State Coach jacket is, although he looks familiar & did have a security clearance tag. Ross & Bayless knew him, but only called him by the name of "Coach"...can any one identify him?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast