Thread: How a Chiefs fumble changed the world.

Hybrid View

Illinois... No longer .. Finally back home Blue Springs MO

Default How a Chiefs fumble changed the world.

Found this article by Adam Schefter found it very interesting, puts a different spin on losing to the Chargers last year.

NFL.com Blogs » Blog Archive How a Chiefs fumble changed NFL history «

Adam Schefter
    How a Chiefs fumble changed NFL history

Posted: January 18th, 2009 | Adam Schefter |

Nobody ever could have, or would have, predicted that one play could cost multiple teams playoff spots and Super-Bowl winning coaches their jobs and change the course of NFL history.
    But it did.
    Go back to the San Diego Chargers-Kansas City Chiefs game on Dec. 14, and the NFL’s most significant play of the season.
    With 1:13 remaining in a game that San Diego trailed 21-16, Chargers punter Mike Scifres — did he have an incredible season or what? — attempted an onside kick. It bounced into the usually sure hands of Chiefs wide receiver Dwayne Bowe — and bounced out.
    And history changed.
    If Bowe held onto that onside kick, Kansas City would have won the game. Instead, Bowe dropped it, Chargers wide receiver Kassim Osgood recovered it and San Diego pulled out an improbable 22-21 victory.
    If Kansas City had won the game, it’s very likely that Chiefs president Carl Peterson wouldn’t have resigned the next day, opening the job that went to Scott Pioli.
    If Bowe held onto the onside kick, San Diego would have lost and Denver would have clinched the AFC West title that day, meaning Broncos coach Mike Shanahan wouldn’t have been fired and Josh McDaniels wouldn’t have been hired in his place.

Rest continued on link.

Wow! Never know how something seemingly so insignificant can change the course of what might have been.

I have read that before, maybe it is true, maybe not. I think Peterson was gone either way, I think it was a done deal after the horrible season. Edwards might have been able to squeak through another season, but with Pioli coming in, I seriously doubt even that.

The jobs in Denver though, now that is a completely different story. I don't see any scenario where Shanahan gets let go if the Broncos make the playoffs.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    I have read that before, maybe it is true, maybe not. I think Peterson was gone either way, I think it was a done deal after the horrible season. Edwards might have been able to squeak through another season, but with Pioli coming in, I seriously doubt even that.

The jobs in Denver though, now that is a completely different story. I don't see any scenario where Shanahan gets let go if the Broncos make the playoffs.
    ...Just aint it funny how that odd shaped ball bounces.

Quote Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
    Found this article by Adam Schefter found it very interesting, puts a different spin on losing to the Chargers last year.

NFL.com Blogs » Blog Archive How a Chiefs fumble changed NFL history «

Adam Schefter
    How a Chiefs fumble changed NFL history

Posted: January 18th, 2009 | Adam Schefter |

Nobody ever could have, or would have, predicted that one play could cost multiple teams playoff spots and Super-Bowl winning coaches their jobs and change the course of NFL history.
    But it did.
    Go back to the San Diego Chargers-Kansas City Chiefs game on Dec. 14, and the NFL’s most significant play of the season.
    With 1:13 remaining in a game that San Diego trailed 21-16, Chargers punter Mike Scifres — did he have an incredible season or what? — attempted an onside kick. It bounced into the usually sure hands of Chiefs wide receiver Dwayne Bowe — and bounced out.
    And history changed.
    If Bowe held onto that onside kick, Kansas City would have won the game. Instead, Bowe dropped it, Chargers wide receiver Kassim Osgood recovered it and San Diego pulled out an improbable 22-21 victory.
    If Kansas City had won the game, it’s very likely that Chiefs president Carl Peterson wouldn’t have resigned the next day, opening the job that went to Scott Pioli.
    If Bowe held onto the onside kick, San Diego would have lost and Denver would have clinched the AFC West title that day, meaning Broncos coach Mike Shanahan wouldn’t have been fired and Josh McDaniels wouldn’t have been hired in his place.

Rest continued on link.
    WOW!

so.....we thank bowe and his unsure hands for all of broncos mis fortunes this season???

Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post
    so.....we thank bowe and his unsure hands for all of broncos mis fortunes this season???
    Maybe he knew ;)

Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post
    Why not?