Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cassel not the best QB at camp?

Default Cassel not the best QB at camp?

Chiefs camp buzz: Haley not talking about Cassel’s play - Kansas City Star

Matt Cassel’s play has slipped since the early portion of training camp, and Tuesday’s practice wasn’t his best. He missed some throws, including one when he had Quinten Lawrence open deep. The ball was slightly underthrown and intercepted by Brandon Flowers.

Cassel’s struggles began during an intrasquad scrimmage two weeks ago when he committed three turnovers. He has had a problem with turnovers since and lost a fumble during last week’s preseason opener against Houston.

Asked whether Cassel has been the best quarterback in camp, coach Todd Haley deferred.

“I think I’ll hold out on answering that right now,” he said.
    Kind of sickening in a way. I didn't expect to see any question that Cassel was the best QB on the team after giving him the monster contract. Hopefully things get better in the next few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by captainamerica View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if Croyle starts the next game in a couple days against the Vikes. That doesn't mean I think he'll be the starter at the regular season or that Cassel won't see significant playing time against the Vikes. I just wouldn't be surprised to see this happen. It'd give both Cassel and Croyle extra incentive to play and train harder and would be a play right out of the Todd Haley coaching book.
    Based on Croyles play against Minnesota, I think it is up to him and Thigpen for the 3rd position. Frankly, I would rather keep Thigpen.

At least he took a hard shot to the Chin and still got up and played. Thats a plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    Based on Croyles play against Minnesota, I think it is up to him and Thigpen for the 3rd position. Frankly, I would rather keep Thigpen.

At least he took a hard shot to the Chin and still got up and played. Thats a plus.
    You're saying Gutierrez is going to be 2nd string?

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    You're saying Gutierrez is going to be 2nd string?
    Based on the play of Croyle VS Gutie... I wouldn't be suprised.

I saw the same old Croyle that I have watched the last three years. He has shown me absolutely nothing to think he is an NFL QB. He may practice better, but every time he is on the field, crap happens.

I wouldn't be upset if Croyle was cut. Unless you count handing off balls, in which I think he was part of a fumble Friday night.

Matt Gutierrez will be on the practice squad or cut by the start of the season. You can quote me on that.

I thought we were putting Cassel on the practice squad according to some of the posts I read. Are we all jumping on the Cassel bandwagon now.

Quote Originally Posted by billb40 View Post
    I thought we were putting Cassel on the practice squad according to some of the posts I read. Are we all jumping on the Cassel bandwagon now.
    I was very skeptical of him before we traded for him. Once they traded, I was kind of Uh, we will see, but still skeptical.

After the one game last Friday. Against a very good Defense, I was impressed and some what relieved. I didn't know he was was mobile as he is, nor good throwing the ball on the run.

Based on that one gam, I am abl to make the assumption that he will be a good QB for us, but will still have bad games, but he is a drastic improvement over Croyle and Thigpen, and I LOVED Thigpen.

Gutierrez was going against practice squad guys and Croyle was facing 2nd team NFL players.

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    Gutierrez was going against practice squad guys and Croyle was facing 2nd team NFL players.
    And Croyle looked like crap as usual and Gutie looked good. Promote and demote. You can alwasy move them back later.

Quote Originally Posted by captainamerica View Post
    I disagree. I know it's been said before, but it bears repeating. Thigpen put up numbers that were just as good as Cassel's and he did so with a lot less talent around him. I think the QB position should be up for grabs. If Thigpen or Croyle outplay Cassel than they deserve to be given the opportunity for the starting job.
    Actually he did better than both of them in that first game in the rain. And if given the opportunity to work with real talent, then I think we will all be suprised!

i say just wait til week one and we'll see how everything unfolds

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast