Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Case for Thigpen

Illinois... No longer .. Finally back home Blue Springs MO

Default A Case for Thigpen

NFL.com Blogs » Blog Archive A case for Tyler Thigpen «

I have a question for you guys: Name a first-year starting quarterback who accounted for more touchdowns than Super Bowl-winning veteran Ben Roethlisberger or standout rookies Joe Flacco and Matt Ryan last season? Here’s another one: Of all the players who ran the ball at least 50 times last season, who led the NFL in yards per carry?
    OK, so the title of this blog makes the answer pretty much a dead giveaway. I think we all know who I’m talking about here (for the record, he averaged 6.2 yards per carry on 62 rushes). But I’m going to say it (read: type it): I like Tyler Thigpen. I’m not afraid to admit it, and I know some savvy NFL scouts/executives who value him, too.

Like I said in another thread we can find ways to use Thigpen on offense even if he's not the starter. Tyler Thigpen brings a lot of skills and tools to the table and makes us a better football team in my opinion. He's a playmaker and he always handles himself well and plays his hardest. With our QB situation as uncertain as it is (I like Cassel, but aside from last year he hadn't started a game since high school and is still unproven.) we could use the depth.

Cassel took a ton of sacks last season and that was with a good offense line. With our O-line he could take even more hits this year and whether or not he can take all those hits is a question mark. He has yet to prove his durability and speaking of durability.... Brodie Croyle! Brodie Croyle could get injured wrestling his way out of a wet paper bag. We could very well need Thigpen to be our starter at some point in time during the season. I don't think we should just get rid of him to get rid of him. I'd reluctantly trade him for a 3rd rounder, but I wouldn't do it for anything less.

Quote Originally Posted by captainamerica View Post
    Like I said in another thread we can find ways to use Thigpen on offense even if he's not the starter. Tyler Thigpen brings a lot of skills and tools to the table and makes us a better football team in my opinion. He's a playmaker and he always handles himself well and plays his hardest. With our QB situation as uncertain as it is (I like Cassel, but aside from last year he hadn't started a game since high school and is still unproven.) we could use the depth.

Cassel took a ton of sacks last season and that was with a good offense line. With our O-line he could take even more hits this year and whether or not he can take all those hits is a question mark. He has yet to prove his durability and speaking of durability.... Brodie Croyle! Brodie Croyle could get injured wrestling his way out of a wet paper bag. We could very well need Thigpen to be our starter at some point in time during the season. I don't think we should just get rid of him to get rid of him. I'd reluctantly trade him for a 3rd rounder, but I wouldn't do it for anything less.
    Exactly! Well said.

should use him in wildcat

Quote Originally Posted by captainamerica View Post
    Cassel took a ton of sacks last season and that was with a good offense line. With our O-line he could take even more hits this year and whether or not he can take all those hits is a question mark. He has yet to prove his durability...
    How does that not prove his durability? Taking 47 sacks, even if he did hold the ball too long, last season and starting 15 (playing in 16) games and coming through without injury?

Edit: QB rushing stats are a skewed sample size of overall production.
    Last edited by DT14PRIEST; 08-27-2009 at 08:19 PM.

I think we need to keep Thiggy, he did great for what our OL was. And if we lose Cassel, he would be a good fill in.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

I have to agree. I would hate to count our chickens before they hatch with cassell. But I would also hate to watch thig walk and us get nothing. I want Pioli to have all the draft picks he can get. I could understand the dilemma they are in with him. But overall i would have to agree with the trade if the value is a fourth or higher. God forbid cassell goes down mid season... thigpen would be taking over an offense built around cassell and would take time to adapt. That sort of situation isnt going to get us to the playoffs and it sure isnt going to get us to the superbowl. Then next year he walks free when we could of added talent through the draft.

I just want what will be best for the future of the chiefs.

I have to agree. I would hate to count our chickens before they hatch with cassell. But I would also hate to watch thig walk and us get nothing. I want Pioli to have all the draft picks he can get. I could understand the dilemma they are in with him. But overall i would have to agree with the trade if the value is a fourth or higher. God forbid cassell goes down mid season... thigpen would be taking over an offense built around cassell and would take time to adapt. That sort of situation isnt going to get us to the playoffs and it sure isnt going to get us to the superbowl. Then next year he walks free when we could of added talent through the draft.

I just want what will be best for the future of the chiefs.

All of those highlights make me ask one question...Where is Mark Bradley this off-season?

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    All of those highlights make me ask one question...Where is Mark Bradley this off-season?
    he had 1 or 2 catches. i think haley likes him tho
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast