Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2008 v. 2009

Default 2008 v. 2009

I started a thread a while back comparing our 2008 and 2009 opening day rosters. Here's an updated version. As you can see, our team is looking massively improved over where we were in 2008:

Starting QB:
    2008 - Thigpen/Huard/Croyle
    2009 - Cassel

Cassel won 11 games in 2008. Thigpen and Huard won 1 apiece. Cassel is bigger, has a better arm, and is more accurate. Easy call.

Edge: 2009

FB:

Mike Cox is a good enough FB who shouldn't see a ton of work this year.

Edge: Even

RBs:
    2008 - LJ/Battle/Charles/Savage
    2009 - LJ/Battle/Charles/Williams

Basically the same. I think the big difference between 2008 and 2009 will be the level of LJ's effort. Now that he has a real HC and his contract isn't guarenteed, expect a Cory Dillon in NE-style rebirth.

Edge: Even

WRs:
    2008 - Bowe/Bradley/Franklin/Webb
    2009 - Bowe/Toomer/Engram/Bradley/Lelie

One of only compaints I've had this offseason is that we never really seemed to figure out what we're doing with out WR corps. It's better than 2008 corps, and I think Toomer and Engram are much needed sure hands, but it's still an area of concern.

TE:
    2008 - Gonzalez
    2009 - Ryan/Cottam/O'Connell

Our most obvious drop off in talent. Tony G. will be very missed. Ryan will beat out Cottam, I think, due to his experience, health, and blocking skills.

Edge: 2008

OL:
    2008 - Albert/Waters/Niswanger/Jones/McIntosh
    2009 - Albert/Waters/Alleman/Goff/Ndukwe

I'm assuming Alleman and Ndukwe end up beating out Niswanger, Richardson, and McIntosh (a safe bet). No question, the 2009 OL is better. I still think were a ways away from "good" though.

DL:
    2008 - Boone/Dorsey/Tank/Hali
    2009 - Dorsey/Edwards/Jackson/Magee

I'm guessing Edwards beats out Tank at NT, and that we have a pretty consistent rotation between Jackson, Dorsey, and Magee at DE. We aren't going to get a ton of sacks from our DL, but they at least won't be a sieve against the run.

LB:
    2008 - DJ/Pat Thomas/Donnie
    2009 - Hali/DJ/Zach Thomas/Vrabel

Big edge to 2009. Vrabel and Zach Thomas are a bit past their primes, but they're massive upgrades over Pat Thomas and the corpse of Donnie Edwards. Our reserves in Mays and Beisel are far better than D. Williams and Boiman.

DBs:
    2008 - Flowers/Carr/Page/Pollard
    2009 - Flowers/Carr/Brown/Pollard

Not much of a change. I still think Brown beats out Page at FS (how can he not?!). Leggett and Page should be our main reserves.

Edge: Slight edge to 2009

PR/KR:
    2009 - Robinson/Charles
    2009 - Unknown

I don't know who will win the starting KR or PR job, but they have to be better than Robinson/Charles at PR/KR.

Edge: Probably 2009

K/P:
    2008 - Barth/Colquitt
    2009 - Succop/Colquitt

Barth wasn't bad at field goals shorter than 40 yards. But he had no range was bad at kickoffs. Succop gives us improvement there, and can at least attempt 45-50 yarders.

HC/OC/DC:
    2008 - Herm/Gailey/Gunther
    2009 - Haley/Gailey/Pendergast

Do you even have to ask?

Big Edge: 2009

We are a worse team at TE.

We remain unchanged at LT, LG, 1WR, HB, FB, and NT.

We have upgraded at QB, C, RG, RT, 2WR, OLB, LDE, ILB, FS, and K. Not to mention that Hali and Dorsey should improve in their new positions. And that our special teams have massively improved.

I still see us at 6-8 wins this season. Which is pretty good. Another great offseason, and we should be (at the minimum) contending for a playoff spot.

Quote Originally Posted by pbatrucker View Post
    I believe Nudkwe started for the Phins last year after thier RG was injured. Alleman also played LG afterr a injury there.
    Yup, that would be correct. Ndukwe started after week 1 when Donald Thomas hurt his foot, and Alleman played a lot after Justin Smiley went on IR.

Quote Originally Posted by pbatrucker View Post
    I believe Nudkwe started for the Phins last year after thier RG was injured. Alleman also played LG afterr a injury there.
    Nothing found for Chiefs-football Tuesday-cup-o%e2%80%99chiefs-2 #more-10119

CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

Quote Originally Posted by skp View Post
    Yup, that would be correct. Ndukwe started after week 1 when Donald Thomas hurt his foot, and Alleman played a lot after Justin Smiley went on IR.
    Alleman played 4 games (not alot) and was 3rd string in training camp 2 days ago and Ndukwe shared time when Thomas went down but hadnt played before that since special teams action in 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy Tek View Post
    Alleman played 4 games (not alot) and was 3rd string in training camp 2 days ago and Ndukwe shared time when Thomas went down but hadnt played before that since special teams action in 2006.
    You're shorting Ndukwe. He started 15 games last season for the Dolphins. He didn't "share time." Sure that was his first starting job, but so what? He was a starting lineman for a playoff team in 2008. We're lucky to get him for a 6th rounder, given the overal patheticness of out current RTs.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    You're shorting Ndukwe. He started 15 games last season for the Dolphins. He didn't "share time." Sure that was his first starting job, but so what? He was a starting lineman for a playoff team in 2008. We're lucky to get him for a 6th rounder, given the overal patheticness of out current RTs.
    He's still backup caliber though, don't expect a miracle.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Ill give you that.

Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post
    He's still backup caliber though, don't expect a miracle.
    I'm not expecting him to be a great RT, especially in the run game. All I really expect is that he'll be better than what we've got and that he'll keep Cassel upright. If that's all he is, isn't that enough for 2009?

I'm not expecting him to be a great RT, especially in the run game. All I really expect is that he'll be better than what we've got and that he'll keep Cassel upright. If that's all he is, isn't that enough for 2009?
    that would be huge

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12