Thread: Practice Update 8/25 A.M. - New Lineman Workout and Leggett Good as Usual

Default Practice Update 8/25 A.M. - New Lineman Workout and Leggett Good as Usual

Practice Update 8/25 A.M. - Chiefs News Chiefs Update | Chiefs Football at BobGretz.com

August 25, 2009 - Bob Gretz | Comments (44)
    From the Truman Sports Complex- Bob Gretz

It was a hot, steamy morning for the Chiefs practice session Tuesday. And there were times during the two-hour session when the attitudes were hot and steamy as well.
    At one point, LB Monty Beisel carried on an animated conversation with one of the coaches that got heated. Head coach Todd Haley jumped in and added his two cents as well. It was that kind of day.
    But there was a lot of work that got done, although it was another tough day at times for the offense.
    QB Matt Cassel led the first-team offense to a FG in the two-minute drill, orchestrating the drive perfectly as he hit four of six passes, including a big catch by WR Dwayne Bowe on the sideline against a blitz. Earlier in a blitz period, Cassel and the other Chiefs quarterbacks struggled going seven of 13 with several dropped interceptions. Things weren’t much better in the seven-on-seven drill in the scoring zone. The offense did have some success running the ball against the No. 1 defense.
    New offensive linemen Andy Alleman and Ikechuku Ndukwe were part of the practice session. Alleman worked at right guard with the backups, while Ndukwe was playing at right tackle. Haley said he expects both to play on Saturday against Seattle.
    Some other stuff from the practice:

– Haley spent a lot of time with the wide receivers and quarterbacks during the workout. He’s done that a lot since the start of practices, but there was extra time on Tuesday with the pitchers and the catchers. Haley said there was a new concept being put into the offense and he wanted to make sure the players understood what needed to get done.

– RB Larry Johnson was back and working with the team, after sitting out Monday afternoon’s practice with a sore neck.

– Out of the practice and working in the rehab area were ILB Zach Thomas and RB Kolby Smith.

– During the practice, rookie TE Jake O’Connell injured his left ankle and had to be helped off the field. He was then taken by cart to the locker room. O’Connell was walking around in the locker room afterwards, so it does not appear to be a serious injury.

– K Ryan Succop was four of five on FGs during the practice. He missed from 37 yards, but then hit from 42, 46 and 49 yards. In the two-minute drill, he hit a 35-yard FG.

– Some players still don’t get it. For the second day in a row, NT Tank Tyler had to take a penalty run for jumping offsides. And rookie WR Quinten Lawrence was sent on a long run by Haley for not reacting to an interception while he was on the field.

CB Maurice Leggett had another INT during the practice, grabbing QB Tyler Thigpen’s throw. Leggett with the ball is something that seems almost a daily occurrance. Also rookie CB Jackie Bates picked off QB Matt Gutierrez.

Yeah! My boy Leggett, gettin it done!

CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

Gretz is the man.

I really hope Leggett winds up being our nickel back. That guy may be the biggest playmaker we have on defense and doesn't get enough credit.

If I have followed training camp closely enough which I have, it seems EVERYONE is talking about Leggett..i.e..Mitch Holthus, Josh Looney, Kent Babb, Adam Teicher, etc...they are all saying how good he looks. If they are saying that, I am sure Haley has noticed, and as Haley has said over and over, he is looking for guys who are consistent day in and day out, doing the same thing, so I would be surprised if Leggett ISN"T the starter

Quote Originally Posted by KCINNYC View Post
    If I have followed training camp closely enough which I have, it seems EVERYONE is talking about Leggett..i.e..Mitch Holthus, Josh Looney, Kent Babb, Adam Teicher, etc...they are all saying how good he looks. If they are saying that, I am sure Haley has noticed, and as Haley has said over and over, he is looking for guys who are consistent day in and day out, doing the same thing, so I would be surprised if Leggett ISN"T the starter
    I've loved Leggett since last year... on special teams he returned a blocked field goal like 70 yards for a TD. I think it was a blocked field goal anyway. He also had an INT return for a TD.

He won the Mack Lee Hill Award for best Chiefs rookie last season, joining company like Jared Allen, DJ, Bowe, TG, Shields, and the late great 58.

Note he was burned as a CB though several times.. I can't remember what game it was but he gave up a game winning TD in one game.

Guy is a game changer. His coverage ability is probably not good enough to be a starter, but he's a perfect nickel back and special teams guy.
    Last edited by yashi; 08-26-2009 at 12:48 PM.

Yeah, Leggett is pretty awesome. He can play CB or FS, and he's a special teams ace.

The only surprise above is that Alleman isn't taking over at C. My first thought after the trade was that he'd be replacing Niswanger ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    Yeah, Leggett is pretty awesome. He can play CB or FS, and he's a special teams ace.

The only surprise above is that Alleman isn't taking over at C. My first thought after the trade was that he'd be replacing Niswanger ASAP.
    I kind of figured it would be a fight for the center spot. It's quite possible that Niswanger and Alleman are pretty equal. So whoever plays the best the next 2 games will probably get that job.

Hell their overall ratings in Madden are only 2 points apart, for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post

They don't even know all the calls yet. They will be eased in. I still feel that the Chiefs improved by the trades.

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    I've loved Leggett since last year... on special teams he returned a blocked field goal like 70 yards for a TD. I think it was a blocked field goal anyway. He also had an INT return for a TD.

He won the Mack Lee Hill Award for best Chiefs rookie last season, joining company like Jared Allen, DJ, Bowe, TG, Shields, and the late great 58.

Note he was burned as a CB though several times.. I can't remember what game it was but he gave up a game winning TD in one game.

Guy is a game changer. His coverage ability is probably not good enough to be a starter, but he's a perfect nickel back and special teams guy.

The game winning touchdown was given up by Tyrone Brackenridge. That was the last play he had in a Chiefs uniform. Leggett didnt give up a game winner last year.

CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post

The field goal TD return was against the Raiders, and they botched it like everything else they do, wasn't blocked.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy Tek View Post

The game winning touchdown was given up by Tyrone Brackenridge. That was the last play he had in a Chiefs uniform. Leggett didnt give up a game winner last year.
    was not a game winning but a game tying after the two point conversion against Tampa-just rookie mistake that I'm sure he has learned from