Thread: Chiefs camp buzz: Decision looming on starting quarterback

Default Chiefs camp buzz: Decision looming on starting quarterback

Chiefs camp buzz: Decision looming on starting quarterback

QB decision loomingCoach Herm Edwards said before the start of training camp he wanted to choose a starting quarterback halfway through the preseason. The midway point comes after Thursday night’s game against Miami, but it may take another game before Edwards is ready to decide between Brodie Croyle and Damon Huard.

“We’ll make a decision and if it’s this week, it’s this week and if it’s not, it’s not,” Edwards said. “You want to make sure whoever you decide to go with, you’ve given him the opportunity to be the starter and you’ve given him enough snaps to prove he can be the starter.”

Huard will start against the Dolphins and Croyle will replace him during the second quarter. Edwards would like to see both players lead sustained drives, manage the game well and not commit turnovers.

Neither player accomplished all of that in limited playing time in last week’s loss to the Browns in Cleveland.

“The first game, when you talk about the number of plays both of them had, it really wasn’t fair,” Edwards said. “They only had 11 or 12 plays and they were out.
    This game is big for both of them. There’s no doubt about it. If one surfaces, obviously you start leaning, ‘Maybe that’s the guy.’

“There are some things we still have to see. If it comes to fruition (after the Miami game), that would be great. If it doesn’t, then you have to wait one more week. That’s OK, too.”

Colquitt’s hot start
    The Chiefs’ best offensive weapon in last week’s game might have been punter Dustin Colquitt. He dropped four of his eight punts inside the 20.

One of them was downed at the 1 and set up a safety that allowed the Chiefs to tie the game in the fourth quarter.

“It’s always good to get started off this way,” Colquitt said. “There are two punts I wish I could have back.
    I’d hit them a lot better. I made a rookie mistake on one of them. I kind of changed my mind right at the end. But it’s the preseason. This is the time of year you want to do that.

“If I can do that week in and week out, it really sets up the defense. That’s what we’re trying to do.”

What you need to know about . . . THE OFFENSE
    Kicker Justin Medlock once again was perfect during field-goal practice. He made kicks from 32, 34, 37 and 39 yards. … The Chiefs could only hold their tempers for so long. Offensive tackle Kyle Turley and defensive end Chris Harris engaged in one of the better fights in camp. No punches were thrown, but they shoved each other and wound up grappling on the ground before they were pried apart. … Shades of the Cleveland finish: The Croyle-led offense moved to the 1-yard line in a 2-minute drill. But the offense was penalized for a false start and since fewer than 10 seconds remained, the Chiefs shouldn’t have been able to run a play because of the 10-second runoff rule. Feeling charitable, Edwards allowed the offense one more play. Croyle fired a pass toward the corner of the end zone but it was deflected and bounced right to wide receiver Brad Ekwerekwu in the back of the end zone for a touchdown. And that play ended training camp.

THE DEFENSE
    Rookie Tyron Brackenridge was back as the first-team nickel back. … The Chiefs were impressed in Cleveland by reserve cornerback Dimitri Patterson. He could play himself into contention for a roster spot if he plays that well against the Dolphins.

INJURY REPORT
    Running backs Priest Holmes (conditioning) and Boomer Grigsby (rib), wide receivers Rod Gardner (groin) and Maurice Price (shoulder), tight end Jason Dunn (back), offensive linemen Damion McIntosh (knee), Chris Terry (shoulder), Chris Bober (hip) and George Batiste (knee) and linebackers Kendrell Bell (back) and David Hicks (knee) did not practice. Only Terry is likely to play against Miami.

CONTRACT WATCH
    Running back Larry Johnson continued his holdout and is not in camp.

TODAY’S SCHEDULE
    The Chiefs will break training camp in River Falls, Wis., and return to Kansas City, where they will continue the preseason with Thursday night’s game against Miami.
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

Huard will start against the Dolphins and Croyle will replace him during the second quarter. Edwards would like to see both players lead sustained drives, manage the game well and not commit turnovers.
    Could be a tall order with our "O" line.