Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This is so sad

Default This is so sad

Teen Dead after Hot
    Football Practice

Published : Wednesday, 26 Aug 2009, 3:16 PM CDT
    VERNON, Texas - Officials say a northern Texas middle school student was found unresponsive at home and pronounced dead the morning after going through football practice in triple-digit heat.
    Wilbarger County Justice of the Peace Lewis Templeton said Wednesday a toxicology report should determine whether the death of 13-year-old Brent Shinn was heat-related. Foul play has been ruled out.
    The 13-year-old from Vernon Middle School was found unresponsive Tuesday morning and later pronounced dead at a hospital.
    Vernon schools Superintendent Tom Woody said practice lasted a little more than an hour Monday afternoon. The temperature was about 105, according to the National Weather Service.
    Vernon is located about 150 miles northwest of Fort Worth.

There's been a lot of new rules set in place this year in regards to the extreme heat in Texas, and 2 a day practice guidelines.
    I can not begin to imagine what the parents must be going through.
    So very sad!
    **ChiefsChick**

That is sad, my heart goes out to all effected by this tragedy, family, friends, team and school.

If his death was heat related then the coaching staff needs to be held accountable. Football isn't that important that teenagers need to die after a practice. Common sense needs to be used.

Women who behave,rarely make history.

Default a little more info..

Since 1995, at least 39 football players across all levels have died from heat-related causes and most of those cases happened in early August.
    In the excitement of getting their teams physically fit for a new season, coaches can wrongly assume a fatigued player is out of shape or being lazy.
    When coaches fail to recognize the warning signs of heat-related diseases, it can stimulate the progression from dehydration to heat cramps to heat exhaustion and eventually heat stroke.
    Of particular concern are those coaching in programs not supervised by schools, such as youth league programs, where there may be little or no safety training of volunteer coaches.
    It behooves parents to also pay close attention to their child’s behavior following a practice. Common symptoms to watch are nausea, incoherence, fatigue, weakness, vomiting and muscle cramps.
    Professional coaches associations urge coaches and parents to make sure athletes are properly hydrated. This means athletes drinking water when they may not be thirsty and avoiding carbonated or sugar-laden beverages.
    Responsible coaches also offer breaks during practices on especially hot days.
    Avoiding severe cases of heat illness should be a prime concern of coaches and parents as the severe heat settles over eastern New Mexico and the Texas Panhandle.
    There’s no excuse for heat-stroke deaths, since all are preventable with the proper precautions.
    **ChiefsChick**

I can see alot of people blaming the coach, but I think its just as much as the players fault. If your over heating refuse to go any longer. Drink some water until you cool off.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

Default well...

Quote Originally Posted by honda522 View Post
    I can see alot of people blaming the coach, but I think its just as much as the players fault. If your over heating refuse to go any longer. Drink some water until you cool off.

I would LOVE to agree...however...how many boys at 13 have REALLY GOOD COMMON SENSE! LOL!!

I have a 13 yr old son at home, and sometimes we need to help him find his. LOL!
    **ChiefsChick**

Quote Originally Posted by tornadospotter View Post
    That is sad, my heart goes out to all effected by this tragedy, family, friends, team and school.
    Same here; I cannot imagine having to bury my child.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweets View Post
    If his death was heat related then the coaching staff needs to be held accountable. Football isn't that important that teenagers need to die after a practice. Common sense needs to be used.
    Agreed, it is the coaches responsibility to ensure that all players are adequately hydrated.

Mere words simply fall short of expressing just how sad this really is.

We had a death like that out here last year. It is tragic and totally preventable. Guys, there is no reason to have to work kids this hard this early in the season.

Someone needs to be held accountable when these things happen.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    We had a death like that out here last year. It is tragic and totally preventable. Guys, there is no reason to have to work kids this hard this early in the season.

Someone needs to be held accountable when these things happen.

Very well put.

Thats why Canadians play hockey. Never gets too hot!!
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast