Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Source: Chan Gailey fired as offensive coordinator

Default Source: Chan Gailey fired as offensive coordinator

Source: Chiefs chop Chan Gailey | ProFootballTalk.com

A source within the otherwise impenetrable walls of One Arrowhead Drive advises that the Chiefs have fired this morning offensive coordinator Chan Gailey.

Gailey survived the initial purge of assistant coaches after Todd Haley was hired in February.

It's unclear what has changed between then and now.

Gailey became a star in the mid-1990s, serving as the offensive coordinator of the Steelers. After the 1997 season, he became head coach of the Cowboys, but he lasted only two years.

He then spent two years with the Dolphins before becoming head coach at Georgia Tech, where he recruited and developed receiver Calvin Johnson.

Gailey was fired after the 2007 season, and he joined the Chiefs as a member of Herm Edwards' staff.

In January 2007, former Steelers coach Bill Cowher endorsed Gailey for the job Cowher vacated, suggesting Gailey instead of Ken Whisenhunt and Russ Grimm, who served on Cowher's final staff and who were regarded as finalists for the job.

So look for Gailey to take a year off with pay and to join Cowher if/when Cowher re-enters the NFL next season.
    Let me be the first to say that I think this is a bad move if true. I consider Gailey to be a very good offensive coordinator, not to mention the timing is really odd.
    Last edited by yashi; 08-31-2009 at 11:35 AM.

lucky_lefty: We welcome everyone here weather they are Chiefs fans or not. However, what will not be tolerated is trolling and general disregard for board rules. If you're here to troll, as has been suggested, then please feel free to move on; if not then abide by the rules and feel free to post whatever your opinions are. If you find that you simply cannot do one without the other then this probably is not the place for you.

-Chiefster

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Well i am undecided about Hailey but I like what i have seen so far. Hes brought displine to this team. Something that has been realy lacking the past few years. Hes not allowing fat out of shape football players on the field. Hes makeing them get in shape to be able to play. Something that he should not be fighting seeing that this is a PRO FOOTBALL team. But its been something that has been allowed over the last few years so the young players thought that they could get away with it. D Bowe came in thinking he could just do enough to get buy like hes been able to do what happend he got put with the 3rd team to light a fire under his rear and it has seemed to work so far. Thats something new for this team and its something that MOST great coaches have in common. Theres teams are not fat and out of shape and they Have DISPLINE. So far i have to like what I have seen. But the fact that he has not yet coached in a REAL GAME always leaves you with questions. Time will tell but so far Hailey gets a passing grade from me.

Very good point, I like Haley for all those reason also and as for Chan, he plays Marty Ball and Haley has shown with the Cards he likes to play football to Win Games.

I think this is a bad move on the part of Haley. This is his first year ever as a head coach and I don't think he quite knows what he is in for.

I think I would feel a lot better if we had someone else making the calls as two heads in a game that moves as fast as this one does is better than one which is splitting duties.

I hope I am wrong, but when we start seeing a lot of timeouts being called early in the game I think that will be an indication of a problem in coaching.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Why was Gailey even retained to begin with? Haley was hired because of his "offensive expertise" so he should call plays or at least bring in a guy who knows his system.

Bad timing??

I'd rather that Haley do it now than later this year.. The sooner he gets it like he wants it, the sooner we can move forward with "the new chiefs".

Besides in my mind Haley is a bit of a quiet superstar when it comes to play calling and making adjustments. I've watched a few of Arizona's games from last year, and obviously the superbowl.
    They made it to the superbowl with a mediocre D (they did improve massively in the offseason though), and a pretty one dimensional offense (Arizona's "Luftwaffe" if you will :P)
    Yet they still managed to beat some of the best defences out there..

One thing immediately springs to mind, the "resurrection" of Fitzgerald in the superbowl. He was completely non-existant the entire first half. The halftime corrections that Haley dished out clearly worked, and got their offense rolling again.
    I specifically remember Haley talking (very animated) to Fitzgerald about something (im guessing he saw a chink in the steel armor), and on the very next play Fitzgerald splits Pittsburgs D down the middle for a huge gain.

Chan Gailey is a very good coach, he showed that last year, he had grapes yet he still made limonade.
    He is however quite conservative, where Haley is very aggressive. This is probably why Herm (also very conservative) hired him.

Our new defence is going to be alot more aggressive, because that is how Haley likes it, so why shouldn't our offense be so too.
    That doesn't mean we have the talent or weapons to do it perfectly at this point in time. But why put off until tomorrow what you can do today?

My biggest concern is that Haley can't handle it all, and burns out or something.. But he has a lot of experience around him, so I think it will work out.

Man what a wall of text that became..

Go Chiefs!

DON'T BE SURPRISED IF THEY DON'T HAVE SOMEONE LINED UP...u HEARD IT HEERE FROM ME 1ST...

I don't see why so many people are shocked by this news. Haley said when Chan was given the OC position that it was basically a "for now" type of deal. Obviously Haley didn't like the playcalling and decided to go a different route. Also according to LJ the two were constantly arguing during practice about how the offense was going to be ran.
    Gailey did an admirable job last year and has earned a ton of respect over his whole career but Haley just wanted to go a different direction.
    As far as the timing of it. WHO CARES? It isn't like the playbook has changed only who is calling the plays. They aren't going to have to learn a whole new system or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro_Angler View Post
    DON'T BE SURPRISED IF THEY DON'T HAVE SOMEONE LINED UP...u HEARD IT HEERE FROM ME 1ST...
    His name is Todd Haley.
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    I like the approach Haley is taking with this team, but I doubt he's going to be the long-term answer at head coach. Maybe his move to be the OC is just a step toward his permanent position with this team. I have a feeling we're going to be looking for one of those big name head coaches like Cowher this next winter.
    I was thinking the same thing. I don't like this move. This team is in complete disarray right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. I don't like this move. This team is in complete disarray right now.

Kinda like the "94" Donks when, then, head coach Wade Phillips took over calling the defensive plays.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast