Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Source: Chan Gailey fired as offensive coordinator

Default Source: Chan Gailey fired as offensive coordinator

Source: Chiefs chop Chan Gailey | ProFootballTalk.com

A source within the otherwise impenetrable walls of One Arrowhead Drive advises that the Chiefs have fired this morning offensive coordinator Chan Gailey.

Gailey survived the initial purge of assistant coaches after Todd Haley was hired in February.

It's unclear what has changed between then and now.

Gailey became a star in the mid-1990s, serving as the offensive coordinator of the Steelers. After the 1997 season, he became head coach of the Cowboys, but he lasted only two years.

He then spent two years with the Dolphins before becoming head coach at Georgia Tech, where he recruited and developed receiver Calvin Johnson.

Gailey was fired after the 2007 season, and he joined the Chiefs as a member of Herm Edwards' staff.

In January 2007, former Steelers coach Bill Cowher endorsed Gailey for the job Cowher vacated, suggesting Gailey instead of Ken Whisenhunt and Russ Grimm, who served on Cowher's final staff and who were regarded as finalists for the job.

So look for Gailey to take a year off with pay and to join Cowher if/when Cowher re-enters the NFL next season.
    Let me be the first to say that I think this is a bad move if true. I consider Gailey to be a very good offensive coordinator, not to mention the timing is really odd.
    Last edited by yashi; 08-31-2009 at 11:35 AM.

worst timing evar.

I hate Gailey's play calling, but I hate them firing him this close to the season even more

Quote Originally Posted by captainamerica View Post
    He's been with the Skins for a while now.
    Actually he was fired when Gibbs retired, then he went to the Rams, who also fired him. He's probably unofficially retired at this point.

This is a surprise move. I think Haley would open up the offense but if its at the coast of the D then its a bad move. I will wait and see before i call it a bad move. But wow this is a surprise. I thought it would happen at the end of the season not now.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    This is a surprise move. I think Haley would open up the offense but if its at the coast of the D then its a bad move. I will wait and see before i call it a bad move. But wow this is a surprise. I thought it would happen at the end of the season not now.
    I don't think Pioli/Haley are the type to 'wait around'. Either you perform - or you're out.
    SHUT IT

Whisenhunt called offense for PIT, won superbowl, goes to Arizona, calls offense...finds out it isnt working, so he gets Haley to do it....my point being the head coach should not call the plays, it should be up to the Offensive Coordinator...an extremely important staff position...i have a feeling Haley is biting off a little more than he can handle with this one...Its one thing to run a team operation in all three phases, but to do that AND develop offensice schemes against defenses is going to make Haley's head spin...i hope he is up for all the work, and challenge...my question is why didnt they get rid of Gailey earlier....do you really think they flamed him just bc Cassel got hurt? There HAS to be more to it than that...doesnt there? lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    I don't think Pioli/Haley are the type to 'wait around'. Either you perform - or you're out.
    They are that i agree with that but i still am surprised. I mean we are less then 2 weeks away from the season starting and now theres going to be yet anther change for this team. I like the fact that they are not wait around but at times i think that can hurt you. We will just have to see how this works out. GO CHIEFS

Quote Originally Posted by KottkeKU View Post
    Whisenhunt called offense for PIT, won superbowl, goes to Arizona, calls offense...finds out it isnt working, so he gets Haley to do it....my point being the head coach should not call the plays, it should be up to the Offensive Coordinator...an extremely important staff position...i have a feeling Haley is biting off a little more than he can handle with this one...Its one thing to run a team operation in all three phases, but to do that AND develop offensice schemes against defenses is going to make Haley's head spin...i hope he is up for all the work, and challenge...my question is why didnt they get rid of Gailey earlier....do you really think they flamed him just bc Cassel got hurt? There HAS to be more to it than that...doesnt there? lol...
    Maybe. Could be Haley and Gaily just didn't click. Or the fact that his play-calling contributed to Cassel getting hurt. Or more likely a mixture of both...
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    Maybe. Could be Haley and Gaily just didn't click. Or the fact that his play-calling contributed to Cassel getting hurt. Or more likely a mixture of both...
    Ding ding.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

I liked Gailey. But, there are some coaches around the league who call plays successfully. Andy Reid, Mike Holmgren, and Brian Billick come to mind immediately.

There's no real good timing for this, but if it were going to happen, it might as well happen before the season starts. I wonder if Haley isn't already feeling some pressure to show results. This move was made by Billick in the middle of the season and it showed immediate, positive results. Haley DOES have experience at OC, but it kinda bothers me that he's ALSO going to be the QBs coach.

Haley is beginning to micromanage and that USUALLY isn't a good thing for a head coach to do. A head coach taking over the OC spot HAS worked before, just not very often. I hope he's an exception instead of the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    f**k off
    In his defense.... he's right about Haley. I think KC needs to still buy tix. I HATE bandwagon jumpers. If you're going to be a fan, you should be a fan thru thick and thin. If I lived there, I'd buy season tix EVERY SEASON, no matter what. Cutting the revenue stream is only going to hurt what the franchise can do to improve the team in the future.

But as for Haley, I think he was a poor choice. But I didn't know much about him other than he didn't have a long track record with any one team or coaching staff. He fights with his players. Now, he's starting to micromanage. I think Haley's tactics are good for a young team. His hard-nosed approach is something I like, especially because our team is so young and it shows the young players exactly what is expected of them in the NFL. The problem comes when we're trying to attract free agents or keep the studs we've drafted and developed. By the time this team is mature enough to compete, they're all going to want out if their head coach keeps calling them out and embarrassing them on the sidelines.

I like the approach Haley is taking with this team, but I doubt he's going to be the long-term answer at head coach. Maybe his move to be the OC is just a step toward his permanent position with this team. I have a feeling we're going to be looking for one of those big name head coaches like Cowher this next winter.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast