Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Source: Chan Gailey fired as offensive coordinator

Default Source: Chan Gailey fired as offensive coordinator

Source: Chiefs chop Chan Gailey | ProFootballTalk.com

A source within the otherwise impenetrable walls of One Arrowhead Drive advises that the Chiefs have fired this morning offensive coordinator Chan Gailey.

Gailey survived the initial purge of assistant coaches after Todd Haley was hired in February.

It's unclear what has changed between then and now.

Gailey became a star in the mid-1990s, serving as the offensive coordinator of the Steelers. After the 1997 season, he became head coach of the Cowboys, but he lasted only two years.

He then spent two years with the Dolphins before becoming head coach at Georgia Tech, where he recruited and developed receiver Calvin Johnson.

Gailey was fired after the 2007 season, and he joined the Chiefs as a member of Herm Edwards' staff.

In January 2007, former Steelers coach Bill Cowher endorsed Gailey for the job Cowher vacated, suggesting Gailey instead of Ken Whisenhunt and Russ Grimm, who served on Cowher's final staff and who were regarded as finalists for the job.

So look for Gailey to take a year off with pay and to join Cowher if/when Cowher re-enters the NFL next season.
    Let me be the first to say that I think this is a bad move if true. I consider Gailey to be a very good offensive coordinator, not to mention the timing is really odd.
    Last edited by yashi; 08-31-2009 at 11:35 AM.

It does seem really Odd!!
    **ChiefsChick**

Note this also means that we likely won't have an offensive coordinator this season and Haley will be handling play-calling duties.

im certainly not a huge Chan Gailey fan, but i think whoever replaces him at this point will be worse...the timing i definitely odd, and if Haley calls plays, he wont be able to focus on the team as a whole...coaches calling all he plays never seems to work out....where is Al Saunders : /

the timing is odd, unless haley just can't not call offensive plays. in order for the head coach to call the offense, he has to give up power over defense. oh well

betwwen lost and nowhere,southcentral ks.

i dont care if god himself takes over the play calling. until they fix the o-line the passing attack wont be more than ten yard, unless the wr can run. the qb wont have time to throw.
    Other than bowe there is no wr that can scare a high school corner.
    i can remember what a chief super bowl team looks like! ......

Haley already has admitted it is hard for him to not call the plays...it is what he does best...Arizona's offense last year was unbelievable, and it was all Haley...I am sure he will promote someone from within, and they will have an active discussion during the game...After the Seahawks game, I think Haley just couldn't take it anymore

just another reason not to buy season tickets...honestly, i don't see why Haley was hired in the first place...HE ONLY CALLED PLAYS FOR HALF A SEASON last year...the Cards were 5-3 prior and 4-4 afterwards (not taking the playoffs into account)...way better candidates out there, this guy is trash and is hated amongst players, you all shall see

Quote Originally Posted by KottkeKU View Post
    where is Al Saunders : /
    He's been with the Skins for a while now.

Gailey is being thrown under the bus for the injury to Cassel.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast