Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Source: Chan Gailey fired as offensive coordinator

Default Source: Chan Gailey fired as offensive coordinator

Source: Chiefs chop Chan Gailey | ProFootballTalk.com

A source within the otherwise impenetrable walls of One Arrowhead Drive advises that the Chiefs have fired this morning offensive coordinator Chan Gailey.

Gailey survived the initial purge of assistant coaches after Todd Haley was hired in February.

It's unclear what has changed between then and now.

Gailey became a star in the mid-1990s, serving as the offensive coordinator of the Steelers. After the 1997 season, he became head coach of the Cowboys, but he lasted only two years.

He then spent two years with the Dolphins before becoming head coach at Georgia Tech, where he recruited and developed receiver Calvin Johnson.

Gailey was fired after the 2007 season, and he joined the Chiefs as a member of Herm Edwards' staff.

In January 2007, former Steelers coach Bill Cowher endorsed Gailey for the job Cowher vacated, suggesting Gailey instead of Ken Whisenhunt and Russ Grimm, who served on Cowher's final staff and who were regarded as finalists for the job.

So look for Gailey to take a year off with pay and to join Cowher if/when Cowher re-enters the NFL next season.
    Let me be the first to say that I think this is a bad move if true. I consider Gailey to be a very good offensive coordinator, not to mention the timing is really odd.
    Last edited by yashi; 08-31-2009 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    I really think this OL will improve. (can't get much worse). The Goff, Allerman, Ndukwe, and Brown signings gotta help - right? As these guys learn each other tendencies they will improve to at least average hopefully before the bye week...
    Is T.J. really contributing to this team more than a high OL pick would? How bout Magee? I understand DL players take a while to develop, but this line needs help RIGHT NOW and O-linemen take a lot less time to contribute than a D-lineman would. If we take TJ, great. Then we should've taken a stud OG or RT in the 3rd. It pisses me off even more that neither of the DEs that we drafted because "we didn't have a 3-4 DE" have YET to unseat either of the DLinemen we already had. ESPECIALLY because "Dorsey can't play 3-4 DE." The longer TJ and Magee run with the 2nd defense, the more upset I get about the O-line.

YOU got that right Wolf if the "O" line does not greatly improve we are toast and maybe brunt toast.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Is T.J. really contributing to this team more than a high OL pick would? How bout Magee? I understand DL players take a while to develop, but this line needs help RIGHT NOW and O-linemen take a lot less time to contribute than a D-lineman would. If we take TJ, great. Then we should've taken a stud OG or RT in the 3rd. It pisses me of even more that neither of the DEs that we drafted because "we didn't have a 3-4 DE" have YET to unseat either of the DLinemen we already had. ESPECIALLY because "Dorsey can't play 3-4 DE." The longer TJ and Magee run with the 2nd defense, the more upset I get about the O-line.
    Rome wasn't built in a day. With the leagues worse defense and a record low sack total we needed drastic help on our defensive front seven. I'm sure Haley is planning to address the offense in the next draft...
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    Source: Chiefs chop Chan Gailey | ProFootballTalk.com

Let me be the first to say that I think this is a bad move if true. I consider Gailey to be a very good offensive coordinator, not to mention the timing is really odd.
    I totally agree!

Quote Originally Posted by lucky_lefty View Post
    just another reason not to buy season tickets...honestly, i don't see why Haley was hired in the first place...HE ONLY CALLED PLAYS FOR HALF A SEASON last year...the Cards were 5-3 prior and 4-4 afterwards (not taking the playoffs into account)...way better candidates out there, this guy is trash and is hated amongst players, you all shall see
    Well i am undecided about Hailey but I like what i have seen so far. Hes brought displine to this team. Something that has been realy lacking the past few years. Hes not allowing fat out of shape football players on the field. Hes makeing them get in shape to be able to play. Something that he should not be fighting seeing that this is a PRO FOOTBALL team. But its been something that has been allowed over the last few years so the young players thought that they could get away with it. D Bowe came in thinking he could just do enough to get buy like hes been able to do what happend he got put with the 3rd team to light a fire under his rear and it has seemed to work so far. Thats something new for this team and its something that MOST great coaches have in common. Theres teams are not fat and out of shape and they Have DISPLINE. So far i have to like what I have seen. But the fact that he has not yet coached in a REAL GAME always leaves you with questions. Time will tell but so far Hailey gets a passing grade from me.

So Haley calls the plays?

I could see this coming. It seems as I watched this preseason that there were alot of plays called that didn't make sense. Is he also in charge of the OL?

Either way, you don't call a fade route from the 1 yard line. Should have been a shallow cross or a slant.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

just another reason not to buy season tickets...honestly, i don't see why Haley was hired in the first place...HE ONLY CALLED PLAYS FOR HALF A SEASON last year...the Cards were 5-3 prior and 4-4 afterwards (not taking the playoffs into account)...way better candidates out there, this guy is trash and is hated amongst players, you all shall see
    Sorry, there is a fact in here somewhere? Oh the record (not including the playoffs and the SB appearance) Yeah, pretty easy to say he sucks
    if you dont count all the good things he did. Great argument.

Total Yards Rank TotYds PassComp PassAtt PassYds PassYPA PassTds PassInts RushAtt RushYds RushYPA RushTds 5 5979 418 630 4801 7.62 31 15 340 1178 3.46 14

Yeah, he's sh!t. We should all listen to Lucky Lucy here!!

u go for fukk yourself f@g....but i see u didn't dispute my facts though....stop being so homotional when someones opinion is given...u must be one of those teabaggers

Do you start out all you posts by trolling for a boyfriend? I said f**k off because your post is retarded. Kinda like using the word "homotional" to insult someone.

....i'm not a chiefs fan by far....
    Oh OK good, so your trolling will be over soon!! Great, thanks for stopping by.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

wow these guys need to be banned!!!
    I would love to see what Hailey can do running this offfense.

Wonder what kind of use they will make of Bill Muir - He has a lot of history working with successful offenses both as a line coach and coordinator. Even young teams. I am thinking this will be the staff member that haley turns to.

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    Rome wasn't built in a day. With the leagues worse defense and a record low sack total we needed drastic help on our defensive front seven. I'm sure Haley is planning to address the offense in the next draft...
    but one day they got started..j/k yeah hopefully this next draft they address, finally, the o line.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast