Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Come Monday, Thigpen Might Be Outta Work

Default Come Monday, Thigpen Might Be Outta Work

ProFootballWeekly.com - With Croyle surging, Thigpen's spot in danger

With Croyle surging, Thigpen's spot in danger

Posted By Michael Blunda- Pro Football Weekly

Just months after completing a surprising 2008 campaign in which he passed for 18 TDs and led all non-running backs in rushing yardage (386), QB Tyler Thigpen finds himself firmly on the Chiefs' roster bubble. The third-year quarterback has been outplayed during training camp by Brodie Croyle, who appears to have a firm hold on the backup job to Matt Cassel, and likely will need to finish out the preseason strong to earn a roster spot. From what we hear, Thigpen, who thrived in the gimmicky shotgun spread Kansas City utilized last season, is not an ideal fit in the team's new offense. On the other hand, Croyle, who's coming off a serious knee injury, has put together a terrific camp, quickly picking up the new scheme and even outplaying Cassel much of the time. If the Chiefs opt to enter the season with only two QBs, as has been speculated, Thigpen looks to be the odd man out.

Before Training Camp, some of you might remember that a certain somebody, said that Thigpen stood no chance against Croyle in a true QB competition. Well looks like I was right. Come on boys, add the rep!

OK, obviously we wont release him becasue we could get atleast a fifth rounder for him, but with the emergence of Gutierrez, we might keep 2 on the roster and 1 on the P Squad. either way the future doesn't look bright for Thiggy in K.C.

Croyle VS Ravens..... that doesnt even sound right.... OUCH!
    Last edited by Big Daddy Tek; 09-03-2009 at 12:05 PM.

CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

if the chiefs went 6-10 last year with thiggy's stats then ya i say keep him but we went 2-14 doesn't matter if he was better then PLAYOFF QBs....they got to the playoffs we didn't and plus we set up an offense to fit thiggy's style. Cut the guy...it was a one year stand, now we just send him home.

Thigpen just does not fit the system for todd hailey. Givein the right system Thigpen can be a good qb. But not with what Hailey wants to do.

betwwen lost and nowhere,southcentral ks.

given how he played last night, plus the week before, his chances are slim. That 5th we could have got for him(if it was true) is starting to sound better all the time.
    i can remember what a chief super bowl team looks like! ......

Illinois... No longer .. Finally back home Blue Springs MO

I am thinking the honeymoon for Pioli is over, I went to the game last night and Thiggy was really bad. But if he is going to be cut, the thought that there were teams offering a 5th and 2 weeks later we cut him and gain nothing, that is very bad judgement and looks bad on whoever is responsible for the decision. Maybe Pioli, maybe Haley.

I hope we can work this out and maybe still get something for him or even keep him so as not to lose everything. I know it was only one preseason game but it does appear that Thiggy just doesnt fit this system.

Quote Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
    I am thinking the honeymoon for Pioli is over, I went to the game last night and Thiggy was really bad. But if he is going to be cut, the thought that there were teams offering a 5th and 2 weeks later we cut him and gain nothing, that is very bad judgement and looks bad on whoever is responsible for the decision. Maybe Pioli, maybe Haley.

I hope we can work this out and maybe still get something for him or even keep him so as not to lose everything. I know it was only one preseason game but it does appear that Thiggy just doesnt fit this system.
    A bad decision? Maybe..

But that's real easy to say now.. The problem was the injury to Matt Cassel..
    If Pioli had shipped off Thigpen after the last game, he would have just sent off 1/3 of the snaps from this off-season.
    That's maybe not the best you can do when you're starting QB is hurt, and your o-line is just dreadful.
    That and they gave Thiggy a chance to improve his stock, he blew it..!

But Pioli might be able to sell him on the facts that have been flying around this past week, that he threw more TD's than Ben Roethlisberger and all that jazz.
    And maybe just play a little on his rib injury.

I'm not gonna read this whole thread.

Just gonna say we've seen that we need a 53 man QB roster.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

I say that unless ur in there snap after snap, you cant expect to be 'on target" all the time. I say keep all 3 and release gutierez.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro_Angler View Post
    I say that unless ur in there snap after snap, you cant expect to be 'on target" all the time. I say keep all 3 and release gutierez.
    I would not do that. Gutierez if nothing eles fits this system better then thigpen. You have to keep palyers that fit into your system to be a decent team. As much as i hate to say it I think the Chiefs should move thigpen. Hopefuly for at least a 6th or 7th round pick. GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!

Gutierrez would clear waivers and be able to join the practice squad. Thigpen would not, and that's why Thigpen is going to be the one who makes the 53 man roster. It's about finding a way to be able to keep both guys in some way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12