Thread: Miami edges Chiefs, but Croyle leads KC to a touchdown

Default Miami edges Chiefs, but Croyle leads KC to a touchdown

Miami edges Chiefs, but Croyle leads KC to a touchdown

By JASON KING

The Kansas City Star

Miami Dolphins quarterback Trent Green gets a hug from Chiefs head coach Herm Edwards before tonight's preseason football game at Arrowhead Stadium.

At least this time we saw a flicker.

And this time — in the Chiefs’ 11-10 preseason loss Thursday night to the Miami Dolphins — Brodie Croyle helped us better understand why his coach’s eyes twinkle when he talks about his second-year quarterback.

Just five days removed from his woeful performance at Cleveland, Croyle couldn’t have looked any more crisp and in command while leading the Chiefs on a scoring drive in his first offensive series at Arrowhead Stadium.

Croyle completed five of six passes during the march, which ended when Chris Hannon zig-zagged into the end zone after catching a short pass from Croyle at the 15. The score marked the Chiefs’ only offensive touchdown in two preseason games.

“We got some rhythm and finally got the ball moving,” Croyle said. “We got into the end zone, but then the next series I got too greedy. I tried to get another quick touchdown.”

Indeed, as quickly as he made them buzz with excitement, Croyle tempered the crowd’s enthusiasm by throwing an interception on his next series.

Making the pick even more frustrating for coach Herm Edwards was the Chiefs were in ideal scoring position after recovering a fumble on the Dolphins’ 22. But instead of capitalizing with points, Croyle lofted a high underthrown pass toward tight end Kris Wilson in the corner of the end zone.

Miami defensive back Michael Lehan easily picked off the pass.

Kansas City also missed out on scoring opportunities on two errant field-goal attempts by rookie Justin Medlock.

“We left some points on the field when Brodie threw the pick and (Justin) missed the field goal,” Edwards said. “When you get a turnover like we did, you’ve got to put points on the board. Again, we shot ourselves in the foot inside the 30-yard line — just like we did last week.”

Still, despite the interception, Croyle was clearly more effective than Damon Huard, who started the game. Huard and Croyle have been battling for the starting job all preseason, but Huard may have fallen behind in the pecking order after leading the Chiefs to just two first downs in three series against the Dolphins.

“It wasn’t all that great,” Huard said of his performance. “We couldn’t get a whole lot going. We need to make more plays. It’s the preseason, and we’re working with a lot of different players.”

Kansas City took a 10-3 lead on Medlock’s 34-yard field goal early in the fourth quarter. But Miami countered with a short touchdown run by Patrick Cobbs. Dolphins quarterback John Beck made it 11-10 when he scored on a two-point conversion.

Edwards threw the red challenge flag after Beck’s run, arguing that Beck’s knee was down before the ball crossed the goal line. But after the reviewing the play, officials deemed that the call was accurate, and Miami held on for the victory.

Now 0-2 in the preseason, the Chiefs will play host to New Orleans on Aug. 23 at Arrowhead before taking on the Rams on Aug. 30 in St. Louis.

Kansas City travels to Houston for its regular-season opener on Sept. 9.
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

Touching moment between Green and Edwards there.

yeah you know the two point conversion by miami in this game well if you go to the NFL site and then go to the game it shows you a little clip of all the ball movement on the field
    you can see that they shouldnt have won its at the last little bit of the clip where it shows the play.
    Last edited by thecrowder; 08-20-2007 at 01:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thecrowder View Post
    yeah you know the two point conversion by miami in this game well if you go to the NFL site and then go to the game it shows you a little clip of all the ball movement on the field
    you can see that they shouldnt have won its at the last little bit of the clip where it shows the play.
    I'll have to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    I'll have to check it out.
    I've seen it enough times now. Good thing it isn't regular season or that ref would have one angry drunk Canadian in his front yard!!
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

It's preseason for everyone. Maybe that ref won't make the final roster...
    You can only have one favorite team. There are no "second favorites".
    -- Chris, resident of Arrowhead East (St. Louis)

Quote Originally Posted by stlchief View Post
    knowing our luck he will be the official at all our games. Dang Zebras!
    <a href=http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg target=_blank>http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg</a>

Official thread killer I have heard.

Quote Originally Posted by stlchief View Post
    Yup; preseason for the refs too, and their bookies.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Yup; preseason for the refs too, and their bookies.
    This is the NFL, there is no gambling in the NFL, Is there Mike Vick?
    <a href=http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg target=_blank>http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg</a>

Official thread killer I have heard.

I thought that Croyle got a slight edge over Huard against Miami. The interception was certainly a rookie mistake, but there certainly was a glimmer of hope there for me. But, I'm not completely sold on Croyle as the starter yet. Let's see how he does against the Saints and the Rams.
    Keeping my britches between the ditches! :character00182: