Biggs: Chiefs exploring trade options with Pollard | National Football Post

The Kansas City Chiefs are exploring options to trade strong safety Bernard Pollard, a move that would create an opening for veteran Mike Brown to move into the starting lineup, sources said.

The 24-year-old Pollard, a fourth-year pro from Purdue, has made 31 starts the last two seasons. He had 98 tackles and one interception last season. But Brown was signed in late June to push both Pollard and free safety Jarrad Page.

“The defensive backfield as a whole, I think, there’s excellent competition,’’ Haley said late last month when asked if Brown had pushed Pollard for the job. “I don’t think there’s anybody who feels real comfortable. Mike’s one of the reasons for that but I think that’s the way it is across the board there. Those guys know there is somebody right behind them that could be playing just as well as them. That’s how you get your team good.”

Brown spent the last nine seasons with the Chicago Bears but has been injury plagued since 2004. He held it together to start 15 games last season, but had to leave three games early down the stretch with a recurring calf muscle pull and finally missed the finale. He is an instinctive player and made 101 tackles last season, the third-highest total in his career.
I'm really surprised at this.