Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: QB battle unsettled, duh!

Default QB battle unsettled, duh!

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Those few Kansas City fans who booed Trent Green in the first quarter Thursday were probably ready to beg him to come back in the fourth.
    Green looked sharp in his first appearance in Arrowhead Stadium since insisting on a trade to Miami during the offseason. The Chiefs, on the other hand, mostly looked lifeless for the second straight week while trying to find a new quarterback and limp along without holdout running back Larry Johnson.

In the final minutes, Patrick Cobbs scored a touchdown and John Beck slipped into the end zone for the 2-point conversion that led the Dolphins to an 11-10 victory and made them 2-0 in the preseason for the first time since 1982.
    So did it seem weird, Green was asked, playing for a Chiefs opponent in the stadium where he starred for six years?
    "The whole thing," he said. "From traveling into the stadium, to going off to pregame warmups, to the game, looking across the sideline and seeing a lot of guys I spent a lot of time with the last six years. It was definitely different."
    Green, whose 87.3 passer rating is the best in Chiefs history, played the first two series and was 4-for-7 for 41 yards. He led one smart drive that failed when Jared Allen stopped Jesse Chatman for a 1-yard loss on fourth-and-goal from the 3.
    Beck, the third Miami quarterback to appear in the sloppily played game, hit Kerry Reed for 17 yards and Courtney Anderson for 25 in a seven-play, 73-yard scoring drive and appeared to be stopped short on his 2-point conversion. The Chiefs (0-2) challenged the call but it was upheld.
    The Chiefs have scored only one offensive touchdown in two games without Johnson, their All-Pro running back who is holding out demanding more money. Injuries to the offensive line aren't doing much good for a rushing game that netted only 61 yards.
    "The problem is we weren't physical enough," said Brian Waters, the Pro Bowl left guard. "For whatever reason, we're not knocking guys off the ball. That's something we've got to do."
    The way the line is playing, Waters said, it wouldn't make much difference if Johnson were back or not.
    "I don't care who you have back there. There's only two guys I've ever seen do it with a bad offensive line -- Barry Sanders and Jim Brown, and nobody in this league can compare to those two guys," Waters said. "Good running backs in this league have good offensive lines. We've got to do a better job no matter who's back there."
    Brodie Croyle, bidding to take Green's old job, hit his first four passes and found Chris Hannon for a 21-yard scoring play. But he also threw an ill-advised interception.

"I started off strong, went in there and made some throws and got the ball rolling," said Croyle, who was 6-for-11 for 82 yards. "The second series, I got a little greedy and went for it all to bury them right there -- a bad decision on my part."
    Miami's retooled offensive line, a big worry all during training camp, opened hole after hole in the first quarter for Ronnie Brown, who had gains of 12 and 10 yards to get Green's long drive started.
    Green said he sees the offensive line growing.
    "I do, and that's something we touched on during the week," he said. "Practices were going better. We still have improvement to do, but from week No. 1 to week No. 2, it was a good step."
    The Dolphins' only score of the first half came with Cleo Lemon under center. He hit Chris Chambers for 12 yards on third-and-3 from the 46, and then Brown broke through a big hole in the middle of the line for 22 yards, with Ty Law pulling him down on the 16 to prevent the touchdown. After Brown was stopped for no gain on third down, Jay Feely kicked a 30-yard field goal on the second play of the second quarter.
    Kansas City's rookie kicker, Justin Medlock, missed from 37 and 42 yards before finally connecting on his third try, a 34-yarder that put the Chiefs on top 10-3 with 8:18 to go.
    Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved
    <a href=http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg target=_blank>http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg</a>

Official thread killer I have heard.

Quote Originally Posted by stlchief View Post
    ouch. I thought the 20/9 was before the 11-1. Hmmm. the numbers don't look so good. let's take this offline.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada's #1 Chiefs Fan View Post
    I have still never said that Huard is not good, I said he is average. 20/9 looks awfully good...take away the
    11-1 last year and he is 9-8. Average is it not??
    We don't have to take it away, you and all of the other "My mind is made up on Huard" bunch have already taken it away.

And 9-8 looks better than average for a guy who has had as few opportunities as he had, with most of them coming with the "quarterback-friendly" offense of the Dolphins.

Again... just because someone has been a career backup doesn't mean that there is a "darn good reason" for that. Steve Young, Trent Green, Rich Gannon. Occaisionally, NFL coaches make mistakes, underestimate players and even try to force a guy to be better than another, by giving him a starting job, without fair competition.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    We don't have to take it away, you and all of the other "My mind is made up on Huard" bunch have already taken it away.

And 9-8 looks better than average for a guy who has had as few opportunities as he had, with most of them coming with the "quarterback-friendly" offense of the Dolphins.

Again... just because someone has been a career backup doesn't mean that there is a "darn good reason" for that. Steve Young, Trent Green, Rich Gannon. Occaisionally, NFL coaches make mistakes, underestimate players and even try to force a guy to be better than another, by giving him a starting job, without fair competition.
    I don't think he's underestimated. Are you saying that three (soon to be four) NFL coaches have made the same mistake? If Trent had not gone down last season, would you be whistling a different tune?

No doubt, if Green wouldn't have gone down (Huard who).However he was impressive, probably the only reason we made it to the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by swmochiefsfan View Post
    No doubt, if Green wouldn't have gone down (Huard who).However he was impressive, probably the only reason we made it to the playoffs.

Who's the ? I am pretty sure a guy named Larry something carried the ball 416 times last year. I am gonna give him a bit of the credit for out playoff appearance!!
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post

Based on what he has done with his preseason opportunities. However few he had, he was NOT impressive. I know you think he should have the job based on what he did for half the season last year but the fact remains that he is not the better QB right now. Maybe if he had posted a TD or moved the ball in any significant way then I might think differently but h has sucked. Stop trying to make a conspiracy out of it. And is he really going to do better with the "quarter back friendly" 07 Chiefs?? Or will he just have another excuse??

It looks like it doesn't matter now, since Huard has come up lame with a lingering calf injury.
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

Who's the ? I am pretty sure a guy named Larry something carried the ball 416 times last year. I am gonna give him a bit of the credit for out playoff appearance!!
    yes yes, just making a point, well aware of what larry can do.Id rather see croyle in there any way
    Last edited by swmochiefsfan; 08-21-2007 at 03:58 PM.

Based on what he has done with his preseason opportunities. However few he had, he was NOT impressive. I know you think he should have the job based on what he did for half the season last year but the fact remains that he is not the better QB right now. Maybe if he had posted a TD or moved the ball in any significant way then I might think differently but h has sucked. Stop trying to make a conspiracy out of it. And is he really going to do better with the "quarter back friendly" 07 Chiefs?? Or will he just have another excuse??
    With the "O" line we currently have I'm not sure that the "07" Chiefs will be all that QB friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    With the "O" line we currently have I'm not sure that the "07" Chiefs will be all that QB friendly.
    Exactly my point...I was told that Huard did not do well with the "qb friendly" Dolphins. This is the same situation

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast