Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 112

Thread: QB battle unsettled, duh!

  1. #1
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    Location
    OKC, OK
    Posts
    3,715
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default QB battle unsettled, duh!


    0 Not allowed!
    KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Those few Kansas City fans who booed Trent Green in the first quarter Thursday were probably ready to beg him to come back in the fourth.
    Green looked sharp in his first appearance in Arrowhead Stadium since insisting on a trade to Miami during the offseason. The Chiefs, on the other hand, mostly looked lifeless for the second straight week while trying to find a new quarterback and limp along without holdout running back Larry Johnson.

    In the final minutes, Patrick Cobbs scored a touchdown and John Beck slipped into the end zone for the 2-point conversion that led the Dolphins to an 11-10 victory and made them 2-0 in the preseason for the first time since 1982.
    So did it seem weird, Green was asked, playing for a Chiefs opponent in the stadium where he starred for six years?
    "The whole thing," he said. "From traveling into the stadium, to going off to pregame warmups, to the game, looking across the sideline and seeing a lot of guys I spent a lot of time with the last six years. It was definitely different."
    Green, whose 87.3 passer rating is the best in Chiefs history, played the first two series and was 4-for-7 for 41 yards. He led one smart drive that failed when Jared Allen stopped Jesse Chatman for a 1-yard loss on fourth-and-goal from the 3.
    Beck, the third Miami quarterback to appear in the sloppily played game, hit Kerry Reed for 17 yards and Courtney Anderson for 25 in a seven-play, 73-yard scoring drive and appeared to be stopped short on his 2-point conversion. The Chiefs (0-2) challenged the call but it was upheld.
    The Chiefs have scored only one offensive touchdown in two games without Johnson, their All-Pro running back who is holding out demanding more money. Injuries to the offensive line aren't doing much good for a rushing game that netted only 61 yards.
    "The problem is we weren't physical enough," said Brian Waters, the Pro Bowl left guard. "For whatever reason, we're not knocking guys off the ball. That's something we've got to do."
    The way the line is playing, Waters said, it wouldn't make much difference if Johnson were back or not.
    "I don't care who you have back there. There's only two guys I've ever seen do it with a bad offensive line -- Barry Sanders and Jim Brown, and nobody in this league can compare to those two guys," Waters said. "Good running backs in this league have good offensive lines. We've got to do a better job no matter who's back there."
    Brodie Croyle, bidding to take Green's old job, hit his first four passes and found Chris Hannon for a 21-yard scoring play. But he also threw an ill-advised interception.

    "I started off strong, went in there and made some throws and got the ball rolling," said Croyle, who was 6-for-11 for 82 yards. "The second series, I got a little greedy and went for it all to bury them right there -- a bad decision on my part."
    Miami's retooled offensive line, a big worry all during training camp, opened hole after hole in the first quarter for Ronnie Brown, who had gains of 12 and 10 yards to get Green's long drive started.
    Green said he sees the offensive line growing.
    "I do, and that's something we touched on during the week," he said. "Practices were going better. We still have improvement to do, but from week No. 1 to week No. 2, it was a good step."
    The Dolphins' only score of the first half came with Cleo Lemon under center. He hit Chris Chambers for 12 yards on third-and-3 from the 46, and then Brown broke through a big hole in the middle of the line for 22 yards, with Ty Law pulling him down on the 16 to prevent the touchdown. After Brown was stopped for no gain on third down, Jay Feely kicked a 30-yard field goal on the second play of the second quarter.
    Kansas City's rookie kicker, Justin Medlock, missed from 37 and 42 yards before finally connecting on his third try, a 34-yarder that put the Chiefs on top 10-3 with 8:18 to go.
    Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved
    <a href=http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg target=_blank>http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg</a>

    Official thread killer I have heard.

  2. #51
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SE Kansas
    Posts
    28,043
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 246
    Given: 436

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada's #1 Chiefs Fan View Post
    Just gettin tired of the same negative things being repeated over and over and then when you try to say something positive about this team you are called a "homer" and everyone gets on your case. I think the Chiefs will do well this year. We have a young QB, great RB's a Great TE, #1 WR and a steadily improving defense, but because we no longer have Roaf and Shields we are going to be "lucky" to win 8 games. It gets really boring hearing about how bad my team is going to be every day.
    I don't think our Chiefs are bad, just a bit inexperienced offensively. We have new members on the "O" line, an unproven, thus far, QB who I fully expect to develop into our QBOTF and a rookie receiver. With all the personnel changes to the offensive side of the ball I actually think 8-8 is a positive thing. This is, IMO, a rebuilding year but rebuilding year or not I will root for my Chiefs. I started to lose faith in them once, a mistake that I will never repeat. JMHO


  3. #52
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    544
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada's #1 Chiefs Fan View Post
    Just gettin tired of the same negative things being repeated over and over and then when you try to say something positive about this team you are called a "homer" and everyone gets on your case. I think the Chiefs will do well this year. We have a young QB, great RB's a Great TE, #1 WR and a steadily improving defense, but because we no longer have Roaf and Shields we are going to be "lucky" to win 8 games. It gets really boring hearing about how bad my team is going to be every day.
    I'm not trying to be negative. I do keep saying the same thing: I think we can win more games THIS YEAR with Huard than with Croyle. (11-1 :surprise: )

    Since it now seems evident that Croyle will start the season - you will not hear anything negative from me. If he starts, I won't be yelling to bring in Huard if he loses a couple. I'll be pulling for him to get better every game, understanding that no matter what, he is the QB of 2008 / 2009 / 2010... And that will be a positive.
    You can only have one favorite team. There are no "second favorites".
    -- Chris, resident of Arrowhead East (St. Louis)

  4. #53
    Member Since
    May 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,123
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 26

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by luv View Post
    I don't think he's underestimated. Are you saying that three (soon to be four) NFL coaches have made the same mistake? If Trent had not gone down last season, would you be whistling a different tune?
    A) Pretty much, yes. Aside from the fact that Huard was quite young with the Dolphins and that the Patriots and Chiefs (With Vermiel) already had a top of the line guy.

    B) If Trent wouldn't have gotten hurt? Yeah, there might be a different tune to my outlook. And?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canada's #1 Chiefs Fan View Post
    Based on what he has done with his preseason opportunities. However few he had, he was NOT impressive. I know you think he should have the job based on what he did for half the season last year but the fact remains that he is not the better QB right now. Maybe if he had posted a TD or moved the ball in any significant way then I might think differently but h has sucked. Stop trying to make a conspiracy out of it. And is he really going to do better with the "quarter back friendly" 07 Chiefs?? Or will he just have another excuse??
    A) I wouldn't say that he should be the starter based on last year. What I would say and have been saying, is that last year, he earned the opportunity to compete for the starting job.

    B)He was last year, with I-65 "covering" his blind side. As for his time with the 'Phins, he was kinda young. Young quarterbacks tend to perform poorly, with bad offensive lines, where veterans learn to adapt to it, because of all the experience that they get with that kind of pressure. Hence: 11-1.

    Quote Originally Posted by Canada's #1 Chiefs Fan View Post
    Just gettin tired of the same negative things being repeated over and over and then when you try to say something positive about this team you are called a "homer" and everyone gets on your case. I think the Chiefs will do well this year. We have a young QB, great RB's a Great TE, #1 WR and a steadily improving defense, but because we no longer have Roaf and Shields we are going to be "lucky" to win 8 games. It gets really boring hearing about how bad my team is going to be every day.
    A) You have been the negative one. Huards 11-1 ratio is a positive. I know you liked it last year. I, for one, have not said anything negative about Croyle.

    B) As for the Roaf/Shields comment... How well did the Chicago Bulls do, when they lost Pippen and Jordan? Broncos minus Elway and Davis? Cowboys, after Irvin and Aikman? When you lose a pair of Hall of Fame guys, your gonna have problems.

    Maybe Croyle is the second coming of Peyton Manning. (A young quarterback who learns quickly how to deal with alot of pressure.) If so, then we could expect a horrible first season, as Peyton had. Either way, I see this season as dark. You don't like it? Well...sorry? Am I supposed to quit posting?

    I have an idea... Have a couple of these and call me when you reach the "I love you, man!" stage.
    Last edited by chief31; 08-23-2007 at 10:41 AM.

  5. #54
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    Location
    sw missouri
    Posts
    363
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada's #1 Chiefs Fan View Post
    Just gettin tired of the same negative things being repeated over and over and then when you try to say something positive about this team you are called a "homer" and everyone gets on your case. I think the Chiefs will do well this year. We have a young QB, great RB's a Great TE, #1 WR and a steadily improving defense, but because we no longer have Roaf and Shields we are going to be "lucky" to win 8 games. It gets really boring hearing about how bad my team is going to be every day.
    I hear that, its this way year after year.The future looks very bright though.
    The Ozarks is Chiefs Country

  6. #55
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Read the name dumbass!!
    Posts
    13,343
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 29

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    A) Pretty much, yes. Aside from the fact that Huard was quite young with the Dolphins and that the Patriots and Chiefs (With Vermiel) already had a top of the line guy.

    B) If Trent wouldn't have gotten hurt? Yeah, there might be a different tune to my outlook. And?



    A) I wouldn't say that he should be the starter based on last year. What I would say and have been saying, is that last year, he earned the opportunity to compete for the starting job.

    B)He was last year, with I-65 "covering" his blind side. As for his time with the 'Phins, he was kinda young. Young quarterbacks tend to perform poorly, with bad offensive lines, where veterans learn to adapt to it, because of all the experience that they get with that kind of pressure. Hence: 11-1.



    A) You have been the negative one. Huards 11-1 ratio is a positive. I know you liked it last year. I, for one, have not said anything negative about Croyle.

    B) As for the Roaf/Shields comment... How well did the Chicago Bulls do, when they lost Pippen and Jordan? Broncos minus Elway and Davis? Cowboys, after Irvin and Aikman? When you lose a pair of Hall of Fame guys, your gonna have problems.

    Maybe Croyle is the second coming of Peyton Manning. (A young quarterback who learns quickly how to deal with alot of pressure.) If so, then we could expect a horrible first season, as Peyton had. Either way, I see this season as dark. You don't like it? Well...sorry? Am I supposed to quit posting?

    I have an idea... Have a couple of these and call me when you reach the "I love you, man!" stage.
    Guess I would have to get pretty drunk to read all this and believe that it is not the same regurgitated posts I have read 47 other times. First you told me that Huard was bad with the Phins because they were not QB friendly, but now it is that he was young, I am sure his age will help him this year. You are basing all of this on 8 good games. You have never given another reason for Huard to start other than 11-1. I know that we all think Huard had an unfair disadvantage at camp. Who knows why? Who knows how long he has had this injury?? All I know is that when he did play in pre season this year he was not as good as Croyle. That is a fact.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

  7. #56
    Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    2,049
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada's #1 Chiefs Fan View Post
    Guess I would have to get pretty drunk to read all this and believe that it is not the same regurgitated posts I have read 47 other times. First you told me that Huard was bad with the Phins because they were not QB friendly, but now it is that he was young, I am sure his age will help him this year. You are basing all of this on 8 good games. You have never given another reason for Huard to start other than 11-1. I know that we all think Huard had an unfair disadvantage at camp. Who knows why? Who knows how long he has had this injury?? All I know is that when he did play in pre season this year he was not as good as Croyle. That is a fact.

  8. #57
    Member Since
    May 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,123
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 26

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    [quote=Canada's #1 Chiefs Fan;17930]Guess I would have to get pretty drunk to read all this and believe that it is not the same regurgitated posts I have read 47 other times. First you told me that Huard was bad with the Phins because they were not QB friendly, but now it is that he was young, I am sure his age will help him this year. You are basing all of this on 8 good games. You have never given another reason for Huard to start other than 11-1. I know that we all think Huard had an unfair disadvantage at camp. Who knows why? Who knows how long he has had this injury?? All I know is that when he did play in pre season this year he was not as good as Croyle. That is a fact.[/quote]

    I can't even agree with that. It's like saying that JohnDoeQuarterback threw a pass that was incomplete, in his one attempt and that means that he has done a poor job, by comparison to JohnQPublicQuarterback, who completed one of his two passes. Besides, Croyle has been equally as pedestrian as Huard, in my opinion.

  9. #58
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Read the name dumbass!!
    Posts
    13,343
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 29

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Where did I disagree with that? When did I say Croyle was great. I don't think he has been fantastic but he has been better.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

  10. #59
    Member Since
    May 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,123
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 26

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada's #1 Chiefs Fan View Post
    Where did I disagree with that? When did I say Croyle was great. I don't think he has been fantastic but he has been better.
    Yeah, it's kind of like saying that the flavor of one glass of piss is better than another. (This is not an attack on Corona)

  11. #60
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Read the name dumbass!!
    Posts
    13,343
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 29

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Yeah, it's kind of like saying that the flavor of one glass of piss is better than another. (This is not an attack on Corona)
    You can attack Corona when ever you want!
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •