Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Larry Johnson to Play In Final Preseason Game

Sweets Guest

Default Larry Johnson to Play In Final Preseason Game

Chiefs fans anxious for the 2007 debut of running back Larry Johnson may not have to wait until the regular-season opener Sept. 9.Johnson said after Sunday’s workout that he intends to play in Thursday’s preseason finale against St. Louis at the Edward Jones Dome.
    “If it was up to me, I’d play the whole game,” Johnson said. “But they’re not going to let that happen.”
    The more likely scenario, coach Herm Edwards hinted, is that Johnson will only be in for a few series.
    “It will be real fast,” Edwards said. “Don’t blink.”
    Johnson missed training camp in River Falls, Wis., while his representatives attempted to work out a new contract with the Chiefs. He rejoined his teammates Tuesday — just minutes after signing a five-year extension for $43.2 million.
    Although he spent the first half of August working out at an Arizona training facility, Johnson realizes he’s not in “football shape.” He said he may not be ready to handle his normal workload until the third or fourth game of the season.
    “You can run sprints all day,” Johnson said. “But if you’re not out there running plays, cutting and dodging and accelerating … that stuff can tire you out quickly.
    “I’m really going to push myself this next week and see where my body is after that.”
    Johnson said he hadn’t discussed his status for Thursday’s game with his head coach — “If I’m suiting up, I’m playing,” he said — but Edwards seemed to understand the Pro Bowler’s desire to get back onto the field.
    Edwards pointed out the need for Johnson to be tackled a couple of times before the regular-season opener on Sept. 9 at Houston. Edwards said his main goal is not to overuse Johnson — in the preseason or the regular season — while he’s still attempting to get into playing shape.
    “When (running backs) get fatigued and tired, they get loose with the ball,” Edwards said. “The ball comes out, and all of a sudden they fumble. We’re not going to put him in that position. We’re going to be careful with him and bring him along.
    “It’s a 16-game season. He’s not going to carry the ball as much the first three or four games. He’ll get a feel for where he’s at, and so will I.”
    Even though he knows his role will be limited, Johnson is hoping to spark some life into the Chiefs’ offense in Thursday’s preseason finale. Kansas City’s first- and second-team units have produced just one touchdown in three games. Mounting an impressive first-quarter drive against the Rams could do wonders in terms of confidence heading into September.
    “We need a spark,” Edwards said.
    Johnson is certainly the player who can provide it. He said Sunday that his presence will improve the effectiveness of an offensive line that has looked inconsistent this preseason.
    “A lot of guys running behind them don’t understand the ins and outs,” Johnson said. “It’s like I told Brian Waters the other day: If I was back there, I know what’s going to happen. I know how to react on certain plays to help the offensive linemen out.”
    Johnson also seemed indifferent to Edwards’ decision to name veteran Damon Huard the starting quarterback over Brodie Croyle.
    “It doesn’t matter to me,” Johnson said. “It doesn’t matter who’s handing the ball off. We’ve just got to be able to stay together and be consistent. We’ll complement each other as far as the offense goes.”

Source: Jason King, Kansas City Star

I just hope he doesn't get hurt in preseason like Portis did with the Redskins last year. We will need LJ this year.
    <a href=http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg target=_blank>http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg</a>

Official thread killer I have heard.

Quote Originally Posted by sling58 View Post
    I just hope he doesn't get hurt in preseason like Portis did with the Redskins last year. We will need LJ this year.
    Quick - everyone throw salt over their shoulder and make the sign to protect from the evil eye.

Why anyone would ever type something like this....

You can only have one favorite team. There are no "second favorites".
    -- Chris, resident of Arrowhead East (St. Louis)

betwwen lost and nowhere,southcentral ks.

Quote Originally Posted by sling58 View Post
    we`ve seen what they look like without him so it cant get any sorrier looking. but i also dont want him hurt.
    i can remember what a chief super bowl team looks like! ......

I planted a small explosive device in Herm's head and told him if LJ plays more than one series I will push the button.
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

Quote Originally Posted by m0ef0e View Post
    I planted a small explosive device in Herm's head and told him if LJ plays more than one series I will push the button.
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

LOL! Sweet.
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

I figure the plan is for 1-2 series...if they go 3 and out, he'll probably get the 2nd series...if they get a first down or more he'll just play the one series. Ideally get 3-5 carries and call it a night.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

Quote Originally Posted by rbedgood View Post
    I figure the plan is for 1-2 series...if they go 3 and out, he'll probably get the 2nd series...if they get a first down or more he'll just play the one series. Ideally get 3-5 carries and call it a night.
    Id say your dead on, any more than that and id really start doubting herm's intellect.
    The Ozarks is Chiefs Country

betwwen lost and nowhere,southcentral ks.

i figure he runs alot the first series. the second series he just stands back there and we throw. not much different than his pass blocking before. also he wont get hurt with his style of pass blocking.
    i can remember what a chief super bowl team looks like! ......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast