Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: QB battle unsettled, duh!

Default QB battle unsettled, duh!

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Those few Kansas City fans who booed Trent Green in the first quarter Thursday were probably ready to beg him to come back in the fourth.
    Green looked sharp in his first appearance in Arrowhead Stadium since insisting on a trade to Miami during the offseason. The Chiefs, on the other hand, mostly looked lifeless for the second straight week while trying to find a new quarterback and limp along without holdout running back Larry Johnson.

In the final minutes, Patrick Cobbs scored a touchdown and John Beck slipped into the end zone for the 2-point conversion that led the Dolphins to an 11-10 victory and made them 2-0 in the preseason for the first time since 1982.
    So did it seem weird, Green was asked, playing for a Chiefs opponent in the stadium where he starred for six years?
    "The whole thing," he said. "From traveling into the stadium, to going off to pregame warmups, to the game, looking across the sideline and seeing a lot of guys I spent a lot of time with the last six years. It was definitely different."
    Green, whose 87.3 passer rating is the best in Chiefs history, played the first two series and was 4-for-7 for 41 yards. He led one smart drive that failed when Jared Allen stopped Jesse Chatman for a 1-yard loss on fourth-and-goal from the 3.
    Beck, the third Miami quarterback to appear in the sloppily played game, hit Kerry Reed for 17 yards and Courtney Anderson for 25 in a seven-play, 73-yard scoring drive and appeared to be stopped short on his 2-point conversion. The Chiefs (0-2) challenged the call but it was upheld.
    The Chiefs have scored only one offensive touchdown in two games without Johnson, their All-Pro running back who is holding out demanding more money. Injuries to the offensive line aren't doing much good for a rushing game that netted only 61 yards.
    "The problem is we weren't physical enough," said Brian Waters, the Pro Bowl left guard. "For whatever reason, we're not knocking guys off the ball. That's something we've got to do."
    The way the line is playing, Waters said, it wouldn't make much difference if Johnson were back or not.
    "I don't care who you have back there. There's only two guys I've ever seen do it with a bad offensive line -- Barry Sanders and Jim Brown, and nobody in this league can compare to those two guys," Waters said. "Good running backs in this league have good offensive lines. We've got to do a better job no matter who's back there."
    Brodie Croyle, bidding to take Green's old job, hit his first four passes and found Chris Hannon for a 21-yard scoring play. But he also threw an ill-advised interception.

"I started off strong, went in there and made some throws and got the ball rolling," said Croyle, who was 6-for-11 for 82 yards. "The second series, I got a little greedy and went for it all to bury them right there -- a bad decision on my part."
    Miami's retooled offensive line, a big worry all during training camp, opened hole after hole in the first quarter for Ronnie Brown, who had gains of 12 and 10 yards to get Green's long drive started.
    Green said he sees the offensive line growing.
    "I do, and that's something we touched on during the week," he said. "Practices were going better. We still have improvement to do, but from week No. 1 to week No. 2, it was a good step."
    The Dolphins' only score of the first half came with Cleo Lemon under center. He hit Chris Chambers for 12 yards on third-and-3 from the 46, and then Brown broke through a big hole in the middle of the line for 22 yards, with Ty Law pulling him down on the 16 to prevent the touchdown. After Brown was stopped for no gain on third down, Jay Feely kicked a 30-yard field goal on the second play of the second quarter.
    Kansas City's rookie kicker, Justin Medlock, missed from 37 and 42 yards before finally connecting on his third try, a 34-yarder that put the Chiefs on top 10-3 with 8:18 to go.
    Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved
    <a href=http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg target=_blank>http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg</a>

Official thread killer I have heard.

Croyle sucks!!! Yes his line is terrible but he looks so confused it's unbelievable! Yea, he threw it away a couple times but how about the over throws? His accuracy is terrible and it is so because of his baaaaaad footwork! His feet aren't set EVER! Hope there's another QB available in some upcoming drafts because this kid might not even be a career back up! Huard needs to start and if the team starts 0-5 or 1-6, then we bring Croyle in. I haven't thought a season was going to suck in a long time but this year is going to suck! Man I'm disappointed!

Quote Originally Posted by sling58 View Post
    I agree with Canada. We are fans of the Chiefs and should be positive about our team. I guess it's easier to complain rather than look at the positive side. We have LJ back now and Croyle looks better and will continue to improve. Who cares about our preseason record, it's just a glorified scrimmage anyway.
    I agree with you to a point, at some time though you have to feel good about both sides of the ball, especially after the third game!!! you would think that things would be coming together. I will remain ever hopeful things will get better-can they get worse?I feel myself teetering on the fence here a bit - I know it's just a pre-season game, Last night was very ugly.... I could never do it but I felt like competeing with Canada after that performance!!

Quote Originally Posted by AkChief49 View Post
    I agree with you to a point, at some time though you have to feel good about both sides of the ball, especially after the third game!!! you would think that things would be coming together. I will remain ever hopeful things will get better-can they get worse?I feel myself teetering on the fence here a bit - I know it's just a pre-season game, Last night was very ugly.... I could never do it but I felt like competeing with Canada after that performance!!
    I just call it how I see it. We will do ok this year. I have faith that the light bulb will turn on before the regular season. We might even be bluffing to make the other teams think we are rebuilding (nah, I don't believe that either!) and come out firing! I hope that happens though.
    <a href=http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg target=_blank>http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg</a>

Man.... so much bashing and we still have a perfect record! Preseason is NOTHING!!! You may get a glance at a few things, but no one is up to par here, not on our team not on any team. We have two weeks before anything really matters, and all its gonna take is for us to click, once we do that, we'll be ok. We have seen a few good signs and a few bad signs, albeit more bad than good, but it doesnt matter right now. All that matters is that we are learning in these four games and getting ourselves in regular season shape! I'm a huge homer obviously, but I can't get mad yet!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RednGold99 View Post
    Man.... so much bashing and we still have a perfect record! Preseason is NOTHING!!! You may get a glance at a few things, but no one is up to par here, not on our team not on any team. We have two weeks before anything really matters, and all its gonna take is for us to click, once we do that, we'll be ok. We have seen a few good signs and a few bad signs, albeit more bad than good, but it doesnt matter right now. All that matters is that we are learning in these four games and getting ourselves in regular season shape! I'm a huge homer obviously, but I can't get mad yet!!!!
    See I'm not the only one that thinks preseason is a j-o-k-e!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AkChief49 View Post
    Things can always get worse; just speaking from experience here.

Did anyone see Jeff Terrell at the end of the game? This kid is a gamer. He may have come from Princeton, but he knows how to play football. I suggest we look toward him as the future QB and not Brodie. Jeff Terrell for Kansas City QB Campaign has begun right here and now.

Quote Originally Posted by tflradio View Post
    Did anyone see Jeff Terrell at the end of the game? This kid is a gamer. He may have come from Princeton, but he knows how to play football. I suggest we look toward him as the future QB and not Brodie. Jeff Terrell for Kansas City QB Campaign has begun right here and now.
    Yea!!!! and we could get rid of LJ while we are at it. Give Brodie the chance. I was the biggest skeptic but now I can see that he does have talent. Let him get comfortable and we will see where it goes. If he had the worst rating of all QB's at the end of the season then I say can him. But give the kid a chance. He's doing better than I am out there.

Quote Originally Posted by sling58 View Post
    I agree with Canada. We are fans of the Chiefs and should be positive about our team. I guess it's easier to complain rather than look at the positive side. We have LJ back now and Croyle looks better and will continue to improve. Who cares about our preseason record, it's just a glorified scrimmage anyway.
    As a Cub fan, I can tell you that being positive about a bad team gives you more years of being positive about a bad team. Yell about it. Scream about it. Complain and b***h about it. Not that it is going to make things change, but if enough fans are pi55ed off, then eventually, something will be changed. Don't take a beating, from your own team, lying down.

Or at least, that's how I handle it. Then I cheer like mad when my team is playing. Quite hypocritical, I know.

But, if you want to look for a positive, in what has been a horrible preseason, then look no further than the possible return of Damien Macintosh. While I am far from impressed with his ability, he is, by far, the most capable offensive tackle that we have. If he should come back and provide any extra comfort for Huard, ( or Croyle) then perhaps there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

But, don't expect to hear anything else positive from me, until there is something positive shown to me, by the Chiefs.

Brody may have potential talent but it is not right now!! We can not go into the season with him as the starter. He may have more arm strength & faster legs than Damon but he is not ready.

Damon needs to be the starter plain and simple. He is smarter, & I will take that over a rocket arm. We need to start off on a good foot. Damon has the ability to make big plays also. If we start off crappy & the season is a wash then bring in Brody to get the experience.

I'm not bashing on Brody, I think he can be good. It just isn't right now. He had every opportunity to showcase himself last night & he failed miserably. Our line & receivers didn't help much, but he looked confused.
    ZONA

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast