Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Question (L. Johnson)

Default Fantasy Question (L. Johnson)

Hey guys. In the interest of full disclosure, I am a Saints fan. Which I hope means that you are agnostic toward me--as opposed to having Raiders/Broncos fan level hate.

Anyway, I'm finishing up my fantasy roster, and I am trying to figure out who to put in my 3rdRB/Flex spot. I have it down to Derrick Ward (Tampa Bay) or Larry Johnson.

The sense I get from the national media is that Johnson is still the nominal starter in KC, but (1) he may never get back the step he lost over the last couple of years (2) the O-line needs a lot of help, and (3) he probably does not fit the new offense and so may not see as many plays on the field as in the past.

Now, that's all just guesses and speculation by national people who don't know much of anything. I figure that you guys will have the best read on the situation.

What does Johnson look like this season? Thoughts? And, for week 1, would you start him or one of Tampa's 3 headed monster at RB?

Thanks for your insight and help.
    Last edited by albionmoonlight; 09-08-2009 at 10:11 AM.

Illinois... No longer .. Finally back home Blue Springs MO

I am a homer but LJ would not be my 3rd Flex back, he would be my #1 back. In the years that I have had him on my fantasy teams he has never disappointed when he was able to play.

First off, Drew Brees is the man and will carry me to greatness in my money league this year.

If your league awards a point per reception, the obvious choice is Ward because Charles will be the 3rd down back and catch most of the passes out of the backfield.

If not, I'd personally play it week to week based on the matchup. Week 1 is an obvious bench since we play the Ravens.

LJ has looked like a guy fighting to keep his contract in the preseason, struggling for every possible yard. He broke off a huge one last week which would have been a TD but he barely touched out of bounds at the 6 yard line.

He looks pretty good. I think he'll have a 1000-1100 yard season with probably 7-8 touchdowns, but not a lot of receptions. Ward will have less rushing yards, but more catches and probably about the same number of touchdowns.

I would go with LJ early at least he has a higher chance of being good for fantasy then ward IMO

I would take Reggie Bush over LJ. LJ is washed out now, and occasionally he will break into a big run. I would go with Derrick Ward in Tampa. There is a QB controversy down there and they probably wont be winning many games. The will run the ball alot and I like Derrick Wards speed and strength.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

I think overall LJ's the much better option for you this season, but I think for this week the safer bet might be starting Ward. Ward has a much easier matchup this week. I think LJ has a lot of potential to put up more points than Ward, but he also has a lot of potential to have a bad game.

I picked up LJ in my money league.

I intend to start him pretty regularly, based on the notion that I am not trusting our passing game, because we seem to have five OGs on our O-line. And the fact that we have five OGs on our O-line also suggests that we should be able to get a strong push up front, for the running game.

However, I am not real confident that we will be doing alot of scoring. So he is not gonna be a 'must start' all that often.

Actually I would probably go with LJ this week if I were you after all. Ward's not even listed as the Bucs starter (Cadillac is).

Hey Saints Fan! (I love the Saints!) I would go with Ward wk.1 personally, only because LJ is playing AT Baltimore...if it were at home i would go with LJ....expect LJ to put up better numbers as the season goes on, and the line and new QB, and alsonew offense have time to gel....but coupled with a legit QB, LJ will for sure post better numbers than 2008...i think he is a good pickup rounds 4-6 in most drafts..

my SAINTS fantasy question for YOU...i picked up Lance Moore in my money league in the 8th or 9th round...he is my 2nd WR option...what can you tell me about him? I didnt really know much about him to be honest, ut he was the highest ranked WR on my board at the time...from what i understand Brees likes to spread it around alot, and not really focus on one receiver....but Lance Moore posted excellent nmbers last season...what are you guys expecting from him? better or worse than 2008? I know Colston was hurt, but i thought he had most of his TD's when Colston was actually in the lineup...hmm...

Thanks and good luck this year! LJ could post >12 TD's, however he could also post pretty weak numbers, but the new staff has his head in the game...finally...LJ had numerous spats with Herman Edwards, and how they never tweaked the offense as the season went on...so i would expect nothing but postives from LJ this year...

The Saints run a system offense, and Brees is really really good at it. So, if the #2TE is the guy open on the play, Brees will throw it to him. You rarely see Brees try to force it into someone. For that reason, I think that the Saints receivers are tough fantasy plays b/c their performace can be so erratic.

That said, Moore is the perfect receiver for the Saints offense. Brees has said that Moore is the best route runner that he has ever worked with. Which means that if Moore can get open, then he will. And, as noted above, Brees will throw it to an open Moore before he will try to force it into a covered Colston or Shockey, even if those guys have better after the catch ability.

I think that the Saints will try and have some level of run balance this season, which will cut down their passing numbers a bit. But there will still be lots of opportunity for guys to catch the ball.

Basically, I think that Moore will give you what you want out of a 8th round guy--he'll see a few targets every game, and has the chance to get a touchdown. We run a bunch of 3+WR sets, so he will always be on the field.

I would not get too happy or sad about him after one week. He might catch two touchdowns in week one, or he might catch one pass. In a perfect world, you would have a better #2 fantasy WR. But my #2 fantasy WR is Bernard Berrian, so you are doing better than I am on that score.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast