Thread: Edwards will wait on QB decision

Default Edwards will wait on QB decision

Edwards will wait on QB decision

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

Brodie Croyle tossed an interception one series after throwing a touchdown pass.

Herm Edwards faces a quarterback decision that might not be simple, but he couldn’t ask for it to be better defined.

On the one hand he has veteran Damon Huard, the reliable option because he will do as he’s coached.
    On the other, he has a largely unknown quantity in young Brodie Croyle, who gives the Chiefs greater offensive capability because of his superior passing skills. Croyle has also shown the disturbing habit of throwing senseless interceptions in two preseason games.

“That’s how it shapes up,” Edwards said. “That’s the decision you’ve got to make. There’s a difference between those guys. There’s no doubt.”

Edwards said he will wait until after Thursday night’s game against New Orleans at Arrowhead Stadium to declare a starter for the regular season. He indicated Croyle would start against the Saints and play the first half and possibly a possession in the third before being replaced by Huard.

Croyle could conceivably seize the job by playing as he did on his first drive of Thursday night’s game against the Dolphins. He hit on five of his six pass attempts, including a 21-yard touchdown pass to Chris Hannon on third down.

He might forfeit the job to Huard with another interception like the one he threw on the next series. He forced a pass for Kris Wilson into the end zone and it was intercepted.

He threw a similarly foolish interception the week before in Cleveland.

“I can live with those (mistakes) if you learn from them and they don’t become who you are,” Edwards said. “If you’re one of those guys who turns the ball over every game, that’s not good. You can’t have that.

“If you turn it over, you’ve got to have a good enough defense to bail you out. You need your defense to bail you out, to protect you and in the worst-case scenario, you might give up three points.”

Judging from the two preseason games, the Chiefs might have that kind of defense. The starters have yet to yield a touchdown even after Croyle and Huard compromised field position with interceptions.

Neither the Browns nor the Dolphins have a powerful offensive team. The Chiefs will face a better defensive test against quarterback Drew Brees and the Saints.

If Edwards is convinced his defense is capable of continually digging the Chiefs out of trouble caused by turnovers, that might be a factor weighing in Croyle’s favor.

“When they turn it over, you can’t let them score,” he said. “I don’t care who your quarterback is. Every once in a while, you’re going to turn the ball over. That happens in football. When it does, can you put the fire out? It’s a little brush fire now. Keep it a brush fire.
    Don’t let the thing turn into an inferno. You stop them and you hold them to three and you take your medicine, but you don’t give them seven points.

“You can survive two of those and it’s only six points.
    You’re still OK. But it’s catastrophic if you turn it over and they score seven and then turn it over again and allow them to score again. That’s how you get into trouble.”
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Guru View Post
    Edwards will wait on QB decision

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

Brodie Croyle tossed an interception one series after throwing a touchdown pass.

Herm Edwards faces a quarterback decision that might not be simple, but he couldn’t ask for it to be better defined.

On the one hand he has veteran Damon Huard, the reliable option because he will do as he’s coached.
    On the other, he has a largely unknown quantity in young Brodie Croyle, who gives the Chiefs greater offensive capability because of his superior passing skills. Croyle has also shown the disturbing habit of throwing senseless interceptions in two preseason games.

“That’s how it shapes up,” Edwards said. “That’s the decision you’ve got to make. There’s a difference between those guys. There’s no doubt.”

Edwards said he will wait until after Thursday night’s game against New Orleans at Arrowhead Stadium to declare a starter for the regular season. He indicated Croyle would start against the Saints and play the first half and possibly a possession in the third before being replaced by Huard.

Croyle could conceivably seize the job by playing as he did on his first drive of Thursday night’s game against the Dolphins. He hit on five of his six pass attempts, including a 21-yard touchdown pass to Chris Hannon on third down.

He might forfeit the job to Huard with another interception like the one he threw on the next series. He forced a pass for Kris Wilson into the end zone and it was intercepted.

He threw a similarly foolish interception the week before in Cleveland.

“I can live with those (mistakes) if you learn from them and they don’t become who you are,” Edwards said. “If you’re one of those guys who turns the ball over every game, that’s not good. You can’t have that.

“If you turn it over, you’ve got to have a good enough defense to bail you out. You need your defense to bail you out, to protect you and in the worst-case scenario, you might give up three points.”

Judging from the two preseason games, the Chiefs might have that kind of defense. The starters have yet to yield a touchdown even after Croyle and Huard compromised field position with interceptions.

Neither the Browns nor the Dolphins have a powerful offensive team. The Chiefs will face a better defensive test against quarterback Drew Brees and the Saints.

If Edwards is convinced his defense is capable of continually digging the Chiefs out of trouble caused by turnovers, that might be a factor weighing in Croyle’s favor.

“When they turn it over, you can’t let them score,” he said. “I don’t care who your quarterback is. Every once in a while, you’re going to turn the ball over. That happens in football. When it does, can you put the fire out? It’s a little brush fire now. Keep it a brush fire.
    Don’t let the thing turn into an inferno. You stop them and you hold them to three and you take your medicine, but you don’t give them seven points.

“You can survive two of those and it’s only six points.
    You’re still OK. But it’s catastrophic if you turn it over and they score seven and then turn it over again and allow them to score again. That’s how you get into trouble.”
    Hopefully that continues through the regular season also
    <a href=http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg target=_blank>http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg</a>

Official thread killer I have heard.

From what I've seen on Hard Knocks the assistant coaches are all leaning towards Croyle, but King Carl seems to favor Huard. Of course he may have just been playing to the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    From what I've seen on Hard Knocks the assistant coaches are all leaning towards Croyle, but King Carl seems to favor Huard. Of course he may have just been playing to the camera.
    I think it was for the camera. The Chiefs have the last say in rather something getd aired.

I thought it was hilarious when C.P. shot-down Dick Curl. Kind of made Curl look like a putz.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    I think it was for the camera. The Chiefs have the last say in rather something getd aired.

I thought it was hilarious when C.P. shot-down Dick Curl. Kind of made Curl look like a putz.
    If the shoe fits....

betwwen lost and nowhere,southcentral ks.

hermmie and his lap dog solari need to make up their minds and stick with it. how hard is to make up your minds with RUN,RUN,PASS,PUNT.
    i can remember what a chief super bowl team looks like! ......

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpack View Post
    hermmie and his lap dog solari need to make up their minds and stick with it. how hard is to make up your minds with RUN,RUN,PASS,PUNT.

...Or run, run, run, punt.

Or run, run, run, pass, interception!
    <a href=http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg target=_blank>http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg</a>

Official thread killer I have heard.

Quote Originally Posted by sling58 View Post
    Or run, run, run, pass, interception!

Why the possibilities are almost endless; I don't understand why we have such a problem with Germs conservative offensive schemes. :rolleyes: