Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you trade for Crabtree?

Default Would you trade for Crabtree?

Going into week 1, it looks like Crabtree is prepared to sit out the season if his terms are not met. With the success Pioli had in New England with the great receivers out there and the success Haley had with Fitz and Boldin, could the Chiefs pull the trigger to create their own 2 headed monster?

They bring in a QB who they think is the future for the Chiefs, but haven't provided him targets to throw to (in fact, have subtracted... see T. Gonzalez) and haven't given him any protection.

So, since the Chiefs are lacking at WR right now, would you trade your 2010 first round pick for Crabtree if you could get him RIGHT NOW?

The problem I see with this, is that with this being such a young team, you just don't know what your biggest needs will be in April. So, do you spend the pick to address one of your biggest needs RIGHT NOW or hold the first and hope the guy you get next April is a comparable player?

Personally, I think I'd pull the trigger. Crabtree was considered a top 5 prospect before his ankle surgery. He has shown it's healthy. He's a legit #1 WR. He won't be the fastest guy in the league and is a similar WR to Bowe, but I don't see us picking in the top 5 again in April and getting a player of this caliber with a pick that could be anywhere from 8-23 is worth it in my opinion.

If the defense makes the strides people are starting to think it will, it could keep the Chiefs in as many games as the offense kept us in, last season. Then, with the addition of Crabtree to an offense that boasts Larry Johnson, Dwayne Bowe and the same Matt Cassel from last year, and with a 3rd down screen back like Charles, this offense could be at least average. A slightly above average defense and an average offense could give this team an average finishing record, which is roughly 8-8. An 8-8 record puts you roughly at the 15-17 draft position.

If you can look at this team and see an average team with the addition of Crabtree, in my opinion, you'd have to pull the trigger. The player fills a need and would ABSOLUTELY be the best player available if he were sitting there for you at #15 next April. If you look at this team and the addition of Crabtree wouldn't matter because there's no way you can get above a #5-8 draft position, then you shouldn't make the trade.

I think the addition of Crabtree would lift us higher than a #15 draft position. But I'm more inclined to make the trade because I already think this team won't be drafting in the top ten to start with, so as long as we're drafting lower than 8, I'm making the trade.

But, maybe I'm just seeing more in this team than what's really there. I think this defense is going to be a top 10-15 defense and that our offense will start clicking about mid-season.

Bottom line, if you believe you're trading a #10 pick or lower (11-32), you should strongly consider trading for him. You would think the 49ers would believe they'd be getting a top 10 pick, so they'd probably agree to the trade as well.

I agree with you Tex. I think this would be a good move. Crabtree is a tremendous talent and maybe the most talented player in the entiore draft last year.

Unfortunatly, this is not possible anymore. NFL rules have a deadline for this kind of trade and that time passed about 3 weeks ago. Crabtree's options are as follows: Sign now or re-enter next year. The funny thing about that is the 49ers own the rights to Crabtree until 2 weeks leading up to the draft. In other words, he would not be allowed to do ANY public workouts, combine, physicals, anything, until then. It would obviously be too late. From what I read last week, the 49ers are actually gonna start taking money off the board as time goes by for Crabtree. This guy just costed himself alot of money!

CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy Tek View Post
    I agree with you Tex. I think this would be a good move. Crabtree is a tremendous talent and maybe the most talented player in the entiore draft last year.

Unfortunatly, this is not possible anymore. NFL rules have a deadline for this kind of trade and that time passed about 3 weeks ago. Crabtree's options are as follows: Sign now or re-enter next year. The funny thing about that is the 49ers own the rights to Crabtree until 2 weeks leading up to the draft. In other words, he would not be allowed to do ANY public workouts, combine, physicals, anything, until then. It would obviously be too late. From what I read last week, the 49ers are actually gonna start taking money off the board as time goes by for Crabtree. This guy just costed himself alot of money!
    So the 49ers have sole rights to him up until the draft, but arent allowed to trade him? That sounds like a stupid rule.

Anyways, I am not too sold on Crabtree. He has to have a major prima donna attitude if he is willing to threaten sitting out a whole season. From what I heard, he doesn't want to accept money equal to his draft pick number. He thinks he is better than Heyward-Bey and so should be paid more. I also am not sure he is the BEST WR. I think he will be good, but am not sure his experience in the Texas Tech offense translates well into the NFL.

I got the idea from this, posted on ESPN's rumors page:

While NFL Insider Adam Schefter continues to paint a picture of doubt regarding the Michael Crabtree negotiations, Matt Maiocco of the Santa Rosa Press Democrat may have identified the new end game: a trade next spring for future draft picks.

Maiocco notes that there is a precedent in the NFL for a high draft pick holding out the entire season, then being traded. In 1987, the Cardinals used the sixth overall pick on Kelly Stouffer, who then sat out the entire season. In April, just prior to the 1988 draft, the Cards traded Stouffer's rights in exchange for a fifth-rounder that season and a first- and fifth-rounder in the 1989 draft.

We might've thought the Raiders would be the best bet for such a deal in April 2010, but they just traded their 2011 first-rounder away.

But, if we can't get him for this season, I wouldn't do it. Maybe at the end of this season, a big-time WR WILL be our biggest need and at our spot in the draft, it could work out that trading for Crabtree would be advantageous. Right now, you have to think WR, OLB, or OL would be our biggest concerns going into the draft. I'd wait till the second round to address the OL because the positions we need to fill are on the right side and wasting a first round pick on the right side of the OL is a complete waste in my opinion. A second rounder would fill the hole just as nicely with a little less risk.

So, sitting there in the first round, a WR COULD be our best option... just depends i guess.

I am sick of rookies pulling this crap.
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    So the 49ers have sole rights to him up until the draft, but arent allowed to trade him? That sounds like a stupid rule.

Anyways, I am not too sold on Crabtree. He has to have a major prima donna attitude if he is willing to threaten sitting out a whole season. From what I heard, he doesn't want to accept money equal to his draft pick number. He thinks he is better than Heyward-Bey and so should be paid more. I also am not sure he is the BEST WR. I think he will be good, but am not sure his experience in the Texas Tech offense translates well into the NFL.
    I've seen the guy play in person. His game will translate at ANY level. He's the real deal and MUCH better than the no-name the Raiders took. Crabtree is a REAL play-maker. Almost all WRs are divas... Dwayne Bowe is no exception and Haley has that corrected apparently.

The spread offense doesn't affect WRs like it affects QBs. Wes Welker is pretty good and he came from the EXACT same system and doesn't even come close to having the skill-set Crabtree has. This shouldn't be a concern. He can run precise routes and catches anything that comes close. That's what you want in a WR.

Heres the rule: " As per the CBA, now that we are within 30 days of the start of the regular season, San Francisco can't trade the rights to Crabtree, or the signed player himself, until the start of the 2010 league year at the earliest (March 1)."

Heres a link explaining this and other options:
    The lengthy holdout of 49ers top pick Crabtree defies all logic

CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

Illinois... No longer .. Finally back home Blue Springs MO

Wouldnt it be great to see this idiot hold out and not play this year then next year ahead of schedule the league institute a new rookie cap rule and cost him even more, or better yet him be the next Maurice Clarett and never play a game in the NFL. I am sick of these rookies who have proved NOTHING coming in thinking they own the league.

Cant wait for the rookie pay scale that the league mandates to get this under control.

For the record, I hate Ely for the way he did the Chargers, and I hope Craptree rots. The NFL isnt a right it is a priviledge. I wouldnt want this fungus on our team. If the Chiefs wanted a cancer they could have went after T.O. at least he is proven.

I like Crabtree's talent, not his attitude, Next years draft will have quite a few talented WR's.

Quote Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
    Wouldnt it be great to see this idiot hold out and not play this year then next year ahead of schedule the league institute a new rookie cap rule and cost him even more, or better yet him be the next Maurice Clarett and never play a game in the NFL. I am sick of these rookies who have proved NOTHING coming in thinking they own the league.

Cant wait for the rookie pay scale that the league mandates to get this under control.

For the record, I hate Ely for the way he did the Chargers, and I hope Craptree rots. The NFL isnt a right it is a priviledge. I wouldnt want this fungus on our team. If the Chiefs wanted a cancer they could have went after T.O. at least he is proven.
    do not forget that Elway pretty much did the same thing to the Colts.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast