Thread: NFL plays and their routes

Default NFL plays and their routes

When I turn 16 (in 3 years) I am thinking of playing NFL for my dad's university! The great thing is that you DONT need to be a student there to play NFL for them!

I was just wandering how much I should know about all the plays and their routes, to be able to play properly?
    Another thing I was wanderin was, how do the peewee coaches tell the team the plays? Like are there simpler names for them or does he get out a little chalkbaord and draw up a picture of the route of the play that way etc?

Routes and players are everything for every player..very important.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

Quote Originally Posted by honda522 View Post
    Routes and players are everything for every player..very important.
    no, i mean, like do the coaches name the plays like they are called in madden?

Quote Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan View Post
    no, i mean, like do the coaches name the plays like they are called in madden?
    No, well kinda. Basic stuff is like 34 blast, power, or ISO. that means its the 3rd back runs through the forth gap.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

Basic terminology remains the same throughout football but no 2 coaches call the same play the same thing so it wouldn't do you any good to try and memorize the madden play book.

Just learn the basics in term of terminology to hold an edge. Learn your position of choices' terms. For example if you want to be a WR you should know some of the more basic routes (out route, fade, post, deep post, in route, curl etc...) but nothing about naming them something else. If anything your coach will have a different name for them but in regards to a play so just learn the basics if you want to get an edge.

Plays are meant to tell multiple people different things so you'll just have to wait till then to get them before you can do anything. You don't need to know what everyone else is doing unless you plan on playing QB then you have a lot more studying to do.

Quote Originally Posted by DT14PRIEST View Post
    Basic terminology remains the same throughout football but no 2 coaches call the same play the same thing so it wouldn't do you any good to try and memorize the madden play book.

Just learn the basics in term of terminology to hold an edge. Learn your position of choices' terms. For example if you want to be a WR you should know some of the more basic routes (out route, fade, post, deep post, in route, curl etc...) but nothing about naming them something else. If anything your coach will have a different name for them but in regards to a play so just learn the basics if you want to get an edge.

Plays are meant to tell multiple people different things so you'll just have to wait till then to get them before you can do anything. You don't need to know what everyone else is doing unless you plan on playing QB then you have a lot more studying to do.
    thanks for that!

Quote Originally Posted by DT14PRIEST View Post

Trying to show me up?

I think more important than knowing the routes is knowing the formations. Because the formations set you up with the routes you can run. Also the routes depend on what type of defense your open against. 3-4, 4-3, Cover 2...blah blah blah.

Yo dizzle, ya need ta know da formations routes and defenses learn dat yo and you be da shizzle dizzle!