Nov. has been a marathon month with family & friends events, keeping me busy & grateful for all. I want to share a story of friendship, reminding us to be grateful for our many blessings in life, most important...life and those we love.

This will be a long read, but I feel worthy. I will break the story up in subsequent posts, to ease patience with reading, and I hope those who take time to read, will enjoy my story of "Best Friends". I will include priceless photos at the end of each related post, to help tell the story visually.

Please remember to give thanks, not just at during the holiday season , but each and every day...for family and those dear friends whom we love and consider family, and of whom make a positive difference in our lives. Enjoy every moment possible with those you love...family and friends. :)

"Best Friends"...part one

Early 2004 I became familiar with a young man, Dillon, 11 yrs old, at Kid Rock's former fan club website, of which we were both members & fans. As well, on occasion I was asked to write for the websites homepage, & for fellow fans.

As fate would have it, Dillon and I don't live far apart, he & his family reside in Liberty of the KC metro area. In August of 2004, I met Dillon and his mom for the first time at the Iowa State Fair, of which Kid Rock was performing. Prior to the concert we began conversing, & they told me of Dillon's battle with Cancer. He was diagnosed at age 5 with an inoperable malignant Brain Tumor. Dr's at St. Judes said Dillon would not survive past his 6th birthday, but they were unfamiliar with his strong will to live & love for life.

By the Grace of God with the help of St. Judes in Memphis, Dillon turned 17 this year, and is considered a miracle by his Dr's. Dillon continues to battle Cancer, as it goes in & out of remission. The original brain tumor has spread into four over the years.

He is currently undergoing yet another round of Chemo protocol treatments, as his last MRI showed tumor growth. He visits St. Judes periodically, and is treated at KU Med Center in KC in coordination with St. Judes.

My friendship with Dillon was born that day in Iowa back in August of 2004, and our living within an hour & a half of each other has allowed us to spend time together on occasion creating priceless memories of friendship over the years. Dillon considers me a best friend, as I him, but with our ages being 17 & 53, our friendship is similar to that of a 'young at heart Kid Rockin grandma' & grandson, hahaha.

Dillon's love of music is in his bones, and he began taking guitar lessons at age 5, not long after being diagnosed with Cancer. His dream is to become a guitar legend such as Eric Clapton, Hendrix, and that of his personal guitar idol Kenny Olson. Kenny was the former lead guitarist with Kid Rock's band, Twisted Brown Trucker (TBT), for 11 yrs prior to leaving to do his own thing musically in late 2005.

Dillon relates to the music, but also to the lyrics in Kid Rocks songs, many of which he connects to his personal battle with Cancer..."Lonely Road of Faith", "Only God Knows Why", etc.. His love of music, his dream of being a guitar legend, and his connection in particular to Kid Rocks songs, have helped him emotionally survive his battle with Cancer. Dillon had a dream of someday being able to meet Kid Rock, shake his hand, and thank him personally for the music felt in his heart.

In my post following, I will continue with sharing one of two intended priceless memories of friendship between Dillon and I. :)