Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
Here's the problem: Not that many teams have a TE as the top receiving option, so naturally they're probably not going to win the Super Bowl, since only 1 team wins the Super Bowl. Actually the only teams I can even think of that maybe fall into that category currently are the Raiders (terrible), Colts (great), Chargers (very good, generally), and 49ers (average). Small sample, but that to me suggests to me more that if your TE is your best receiver, it doesn't really mean anything at all quite frankly.

Hell, I'd argue that our top option isn't the TE either. It just happens to have worked out that way through the first two games. But I'd be willing to bet that it won't finish that way. Bowe will be our leading receiver when it's said and done, barring injury.
Dallas Clark gets most of his yardage in the slot, not the TE spot. A good way to tell if the Colts are running the ball is whether Clark is lined up at TE. He was starting at WR (Utecht was the TE) the year the Colts won the SB.

The following TEs were the main receiver for their team in the 2000s.

Jason Witten
Antonio Gates
Alge Crumpler
Todd Heap
Tony Gonzalez
Zach Miller
Chad Lewis
Vernon Davis
John Carlson
Kellen Winslow (on Bucs)
Shannon Sharpe

Only Sharpe on the 2000 Ravens (not exactly a passing team) went anywhere. Forget SB. I'm just talking about winning a playoff game.

And here's the thing. All of those are great TEs. And the teams were lucky to have them. But each team followed one of two paths: (1) they improved when they got a real WR, whether Austin on the Cowboys (won playoff game), Jackson on the Chargers (AFC Championship), and Crabtree on the 49ers; or (2) they imploded and had to rebuild; or (3) they finished at the bottom of the league in 2009 (Bucs, Seahawks, Raiders).

I don't know what you all are looking for here, but it's about as black and white as things get.