This is my revised checklist of how to fix the Chiefs, given everything we've seen over the first half of the season. I've incorporated the (regrettable) fact that Herm Edwards and Carl Peterson will probably not be fired.

1. Draft offense, not defense.

Chan Gailey has the offense vastly overachieving. However, they are tiring out, especially on the o-line, in the second half. Our defense is underachieving, and is miserably coached. We need to draft young talent for an improving offense and sign in free agency established talent on a crumbling defense.

Draft, assuming no trades:

RT
QB
RG
C
RB
LG
WR

We need to draft a QB high. We need to sit him behind Thigpen for a year or two. If Thigpen turns out to be a great QB, then we have a wonderful problem of QB competition in 2009-2010. If Thigpen turns out not to be the guy, then we don't have to start from scratch in 2009-2010.

As for the LG, Waters won't play much longer, so draft his replacement now. The RT, RG, and C we draft should start immediately. We'll need a big RB in the later rounds as Charles isn't an every down back, Kolby's an injury risk, and LJ is as good as gone. Whatever WR we get in the last round will probably be better than Darling, Webb, Franklin, or the other WRs we've tried to start.

Let's fix what's fixable (the offense) through the draft. Don't waste those picks on defense.

2. Be very active in FA on defense.

With the exception of Brandon Flowers, there is not a single starting player on the defense that shouldn't be replaced. Carr is probably better served as a slot CB. I'll agree to wait and see on Pollard (SS) and DJ (LOLB). Dorsey is too high priced to do anything by wait and see. The rest need to go or be placed squarely in the backup positions.

Sign the following under-30 free agents:

LDE - Terrell Suggs
1DT - Albert Haynesworth
RDE - Julius Peppers
MLB - Jonathan Vilma
ROLB - Karlos Dansby
1CB - Nnamdi Asomugha
FS - Dawan Landry

We could make all of these the highest paid at their positions, and we'd still be under the cap next year, especially after step 3.

3. Cut people who need to be cut.

Boone, Surtain, Donnie Edwards, Page (who's a FA), MacIntosh, Albai Jones, Darling, Webb, Croyle, Huard (who will probably retire) and others who just haven't worked out need to be let go and chalked up to bad picks.

Which leads me to one guy seemingly left out for step 4.

4. Cut or trade LJ

I've come full circle on this. He's doing us no good either on or off the field. I don't think anyone will trade for his contract, so we'll probably have to cut him.

Blame Herm for running him into the ground.

5. Sign Thigpen and Bradley to extensions

Thigpen's better to tutor our draft pick QB than any free agency QB this year (it's a thin crop).

If he's a good enough QB to start (his second half malaises worry me), then we have a open competition between he and our draft pick in 2009 or 2010. If Thigpen's just a good backup, then we keep him as a backup and use him for gadget plays.

Either way, make sure everyone knows he's going to be a Chief long term.

As for Bradley, he's been a catalyst for this offense. Sign him long term and hope he and Bowe can remain a formidable tandem.

6. Convince Gonzalez and Waters not to retire.

Same as at the beginning of the season.

7. Fire Gunther

He was a good DC once upon a time. He's a liability now, and he and Herm don't mesh at all.

8. Abandon the Cover 2

We don't have the personnel or coaches for it.

I think if we follow these steps, we finally will be rebuilding, and not just deconstructing.