Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alex Smith

Default Alex Smith

He catches a lot of heat on this board and on 810. People say he sucks he is worthless not a good QB doesn't throw the deep ball all these things. My take is that Smith is a very serviceable QB. He is by no means a Brady, Brees, Rodgers type of QB. But he is also by no means a Geno Smith, Jake Locker, Rams QB (whoever it might be that week), Hoyer.

We did not win the lottery with the Smith trade, but It wasn't a bad trade. Smith needs help around him. We knew that when we traded for him. We have just done a poor job of adding talent aroun him. If Smith was on the Seahawks right now and we had taken Wilson instead of Stephenson they would be a similar team and our opinion of Wilson would be very different.

Without giving Smith time and options we cant expect much fromhim. We have a solid D and a good run game . Get playmakers on offense and oline and our perception of Smith will change

But besides wilson your right hes not better than any of them. I think he can be better than some of them in the right situation but then again same could be said about the players on your list. I think newton had a good year but i heard he has issjes with accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by jason1981 View Post
    Is that in any order? I know wilson has has been back to back superbowls but its not cuz of him. I benefits greatly from his defense and lynch. Not saying hes bad but i think he will struggle when he has no running game and has to carry the team. I think smith could do just as well in wilsons situation. Wilson to me is in the 12 to 18th range. Its funny cuz they saod hes going to be the highest qb deal and i dont think hes worth that. He benefits feom his team than more than any other player in the league. Just my opinion

Wilson has shown he can make the deep throws and lead the team back from behind. He does however have the bad record going against him when teams score over 24, like 2-5 or something higher (alex smith was like 3-42-1)

Quote Originally Posted by 70 chiefsfan70 View Post
    Like I said, I don't think Alex lost us any games. Of course he is a upgrade from Cassel!

I didn't take anything you said in that post, out of contact! You clearly gave Smith ALL the credit for those wins. This team is waaay better Then the team Cassel was on. The qb position isn't the biggest upgrade, it would be the coaching staff.

Now who is saying "stupid and sarcastic things"
    You are, because I did not give Smith all the credit for those wins. You took what I said and ripped it out of context. I said "the Chiefs have won 20 games since he came on board" <---that's NOT giving him ALL the credit for those wins, that's you ripping what I'm saying out of context . What Smith did was give the Chiefs a sturdy commander at QB that they haven't has since Trent Green, but nobody said he alone was responsible for the Chiefs wins.

So, yes it you that are saying the "stupid and sarcastic things". And like I said before, most of the Alex Smith bashing is born out of sour grapes about not taking a QB with the #1 overall pick in 2013.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 02-24-2015 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    You are, because I did not give Smith all the credit for those wins. You took what I said and ripped it out of context. I said "the Chiefs have won 20 games since he came on board" <---that's NOT giving him ALL the credit for those wins, that's you ripping what I'm saying out of context . What Smith did was give the Chiefs a sturdy commander at QB that they haven't has since Trent Green, but nobody said he alone was responsible for the Chiefs wins.

So, yes it you that are saying the "stupid and sarcastic things". And like I said before, most of the Alex Smith bashing is born out of sour grapes about not taking a QB with the #1 overall pick in 2013.
    Eh i would say because he's not a top tier QB, has noticeable flaws, let 2 2nd draft picks go. There are good reasons to be worried about Smith which is not bashing. Also KC fans were just coming off the years of Cassel.

Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post
    Eh i would say because he's not a top tier QB, has noticeable flaws, let 2 2nd draft picks go. There are good reasons to be worried about Smith which is not bashing. Also KC fans were just coming off the years of Cassel.
    I'm not saying Smith couldn't be better. He could be. But who are they going to find that is better?

Also, for those that are thinking the Chiefs could draft better are forgetting that the Chiefs have not made so much as one successful draft selection at the QB position since 1970, regardless of what regime has been in place. ZERO for 17 and now we have Murray being attempt #18.

I think that's a big part of it.

I think a lot of it comes from to much being put on the QB position in general.
    Football is a team game. When an offense is struggling they are not struggling because so and so is the QB 90% of the time. They are struggling because the players on offense just are not getting the job done across the board. That is including the QB spot. But people sometimes don't want to admit that and they focus on who the QB is. A QB needs the talent around him to do their job just like the guys around him needs the QB to do his. When one of those things isn't happening your going to have issues. The Chiefs have had issues because of that. The offense just hasn't got the job done that includes Alex Smith (last I checked he was part of the offense)
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I think that's a big part of it.

I think a lot of it comes from to much being put on the QB position in general.
    Football is a team game. When an offense is struggling they are not struggling because so and so is the QB 90% of the time. They are struggling because the players on offense just are not getting the job done across the board. That is including the QB spot. But people sometimes don't want to admit that and they focus on who the QB is. A QB needs the talent around him to do their job just like the guys around him needs the QB to do his. When one of those things isn't happening your going to have issues. The Chiefs have had issues because of that. The offense just hasn't got the job done that includes Alex Smith (last I checked he was part of the offense)
    And such a QB that falls into exactly what you are saying are guys like Len Dawson, Trent Green, Alex Smith. Those guys are NOT Joe Montana, they are/were good QB's, but not one-of-a-kind elite like Montana and even Montana couldn't do it without the support of his teammates.

DAMN!!! ANOTHER agreement about Alex Smith has broken out!

And such a QB that falls into exactly what you are saying are guys like Len Dawson, Trent Green, Alex Smith. Those guys are NOT Joe Montana, they are/were good QB's, but not one-of-a-kind elite like Montana and even Montana couldn't do it without the support of his teammates.
    I've given the Trent Green example many times before.

Trent Green was not on the same level of QBs as Peyton Manning. Despite my utter dislike for Manning I can admit that.However when they put a very strong supporting cast around him it was Green's offense that was number 1 in the NFL instead of Mannings. Build talent on offense and even a non elite QB can lead a very good offense right up there with the elites
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I've given the Trent Green example many times before.

Trent Green was not on the same level of QBs as Peyton Manning. Despite my utter dislike for Manning I can admit that.However when they put a very strong supporting cast around him it was Green's offense that was number 1 in the NFL instead of Mannings. Build talent on offense and even a non elite QB can lead a very good offense right up there with the elites
    Which, of course, falls back to what you were saying earlier about "build the supporting cast around the QB". And one more thing. Even after Montana had helped the 49ers win two SB's, they still traded up to take Jerry Rice right after winning the SB in 1984.

People are talking as though if the Chiefs build the Offensive talent around Alex Smith, that it won't make any difference, but how will anybody know for certain if they don't try?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast