Page 1 of 42 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Draft Day Thread

Default 2017 Draft Day Thread

Well here we are my friends the big day is here, let's hope we get some good players

What say you??

Here is my take on this draft....

#1) Without a doubt we have to get serious in either this year or next about drafting a guy with a good chance of being at least as good as Alex--preferably better. Whatever anyone thinks of Alex, he is certainly close to being in the top 10. Maybe 11 or 12.

#2) My minimal research suggests that there will be more and better QB talent available next year than this. So I don't see a point in burning up a bunch of our picks to move up in the 1st round to get a QB this year.

#3) So...my feeling is that we should grab a QB at #27 IF one of the better ones falls that far. If not then we should use our first 3 picks and perhaps more on DEFENSE. On paper, our Defense SUCKED last year. Something like #24 overall. (Broncos #4; Chargers #16 and Raiders #26). They made up for that by being VERY OPPORTUNISTIC. They were #1 in collecting turnovers (33) and tied for #1 (with the Raiders) in turnover ratio. THAT'S GREAT!!! But at the day-to-day grind of forcing 3-and-outs WE SUCKED. Sutton's Defense is VERY AGGRESSIVE about generating turnovers but we need to get MUCH BETTER at forcing the
    3-and-outs. This years draft is the place to do it. With a top 10 Defense plus our existing Offense we are a "serious as a heart attack" SB contender.

#4) We have 3 compensatory picks this year and almost no cap space. So we should be looking to trade some picks away...either for picks next year or maybe a second or third round pick this year. There are a lot of Defensive players and good running backs this year so I'd be happy to see us trade away a bunch of picks to get an extra 2cond or 3rd round pick to use on Defense, a running back or maybe an offensive lineman and I wouldn't mind throwing in Charcandrick West and maybe another "deep depth" player to do so.

#5) Unless one of the better QBs in this draft fall to #27 then forget about QB this year trade up NEXT year to get a QB.

Anyway....that is just how I view this draft.
    Last edited by ctchiefsfan; 04-27-2017 at 02:11 PM.

^^Excellent assessment, CTC. The Defensive talent is there, if the QB isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    ^^Excellent assessment, CTC. The Defensive talent is there, if the QB isn't.
    Thank you Demps. We've got Alex for 2 more years (if we want him) and realistically a couple more after if we are forced to but we have to fix this Defense. Their aggressive ball-hawking style is GREAT, but if we can make them substantially better at the 3 or 6 and outs we'll give up fewer points and get our Offense another possession or two every game. Less points for the enemy and more points for us is a winning combination. Plus the high ratio of "draft-busts" at QB in the 1st round convinces me that we need to build a team that can win with even a mediocre QB. After all, it's not as if a GREAT Defense would cause any harm if we drafted the "next Joe Montana"...right? So damned many 1st round draft picks turn into DUDS that it is IMPERATIVE that we try to build a team that can win with an "Alex Smith-type QB" and then hope that whoever we pick turns out to be much better than that. Maybe the next Dak Prescott is lurking somewhere in this draft but I just don't see him so I see no reason to trade away a ton of picks to get anyone in this draft. But as I said, if one of the "Big Name QBs" in this draft that Dorsey and Reid like falls to #27 then I say Dorsey should grab him on the theory that he perhaps turns into "Alex Smith 2.0" or perhaps lightning strikes and he turns out to be much more.

I guess I just don't like the popular notion that unless you have a SUPERHERO at QB you can never win the big one.

I know you DESPISE the Broncos, but being honest they won the SB in 2015 with a Peyton Manning that was old, crippled and borderline PATHETIC with a GREAT defense and perhaps a little help from Goodell. A great Defense is critical. After all Manning got BLOWN OUT in the SB by the Seahawks during what was his best year ever. DEFENSE DEFENSE DEFENSE!
    Last edited by ctchiefsfan; 04-27-2017 at 03:40 PM.

Mahomes is like Dak to me

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    Mahomes is like Dak to me
    Perhaps. IIRC correctly you said last year that Tyreek Hill was going to be a MONSTER so I certainly won't doubt your judgement, but the Cowboys got Dak in the 4th round. I'll be happy to see the Chiefs take a "flyer" on almost any QB in this draft. After all, we have plenty enough picks to take a few gambles but I just don't see any QB in this draft worth trading off a whole slew of picks for in the 1st round. The "known" QBs often seem to get waaay over-drafted and with so many teams this year DESPERATE for a QB I suspect that will happen again. Better prospects available next year IMO. If we want to gamble a boatload of picks on a QB I think next year is the year to do it. This year's draft class has no clear star IMO so I just don't see the purpose in trading off a ton of picks to move into the top 10. And again spending heavily in the draft on Defense will not hurt any QB we eventually put on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Thank you Demps. We've got Alex for 2 more years (if we want him) and realistically a couple more after if we are forced to but we have to fix this Defense. Their aggressive ball-hawking style is GREAT, but if we can make them substantially better at the 3 or 6 and outs we'll give up fewer points and get our Offense another possession or two every game. Less points for the enemy and more points for us is a winning combination. Plus the high ratio of "draft-busts" at QB in the 1st round convinces me that we need to build a team that can win with even a mediocre QB. After all, it's not as if a GREAT Defense would cause any harm if we drafted the "next Joe Montana"...right? So damned many 1st round draft picks turn into DUDS that it is IMPERATIVE that we try to build a team that can win with an "Alex Smith-type QB" and then hope that whoever we pick turns out to be much better than that. Maybe the next Dak Prescott is lurking somewhere in this draft but I just don't see him so I see no reason to trade away a ton of picks to get anyone in this draft. But as I said, if one of the "Big Name QBs" in this draft that Dorsey and Reid like falls to #27 then I say Dorsey should grab him on the theory that he perhaps turns into "Alex Smith 2.0" or perhaps lightning strikes and he turns out to be much more.

I guess I just don't like the popular notion that unless you have a SUPERHERO at QB you can never win the big one.

I know you DESPISE the Broncos, but being honest they won the SB in 2015 with a Peyton Manning that was old, crippled and borderline PATHETIC with a GREAT defense and perhaps a little help from Goodell. A great Defense is critical. After all Manning got BLOWN OUT in the SB by the Seahawks during what was his best year ever. DEFENSE DEFENSE DEFENSE!
    Truth be told, they had more than just a 'little' help from Goodell and the zebras. Their 2015 SB trophy is quite tainted, just like the other two.

But, yes, there are legit concerns with the current Chiefs Defense & the resigning of Berry helps, but doesn't completely feed the bulldog. The Defensive front 7 needs help. Mike Mayock projects the Chiefs to take a RB, but I just don't see Dorsey/Reid going that route if there is a good Defensive front 7 player on the board.

Just saw this over at NFL.com:

dumbdonkey.jpg

I sincerely hope that Elway and the Donkeys keep thinking that way, while the Chiefs seriously set about to bolster their Defensive Front 7.

I'm not going to try to guess who they will take

But It's exciting to see if Dorsey can hit on anther 1st rounder LETS GO
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

I can't find a live feed anywhere over at NFL.com. Am I missing something?

EDIT: Just found it. http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/live
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 04-27-2017 at 06:17 PM.

Page 1 of 42 1234511 ... LastLast