Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: QBs and Super Bowl Contenders

Default QBs and Super Bowl Contenders

Coming into the season, there was little doubt as to who the Super Bowl contenders were. The stalwarts like:

Patriots-Brady
    Steelers-Roethlesberger
    Ravens-Flacco
    Falcons-Ryan
    Texans-Shaub
    Packers-Rogers
    Giants-Manning

As horrible as the Chiefs offense has been this season, they still have a defense ranked #15 in the league. Pair that defense with an offense that can control the clock and keep them fresh, and Chiefs would have a top 10 or even top 5 defense. The offensive line ranks in the top 5. The Chiefs have the 4th best rushing attack. They have 2 first round picks at WR along with Breaston, McCluster, and a great pass catching TE in Moeaki. This team as an above average special teams unit as well.

The Chiefs, as a full unit, have fewer holes on their team than the perennial Super Bowl contenders. So, what are we missing? We can sit here and blame coaching until we're blue in the face, but the point of the matter is that this team won't be able to do anything until they address the most important position on the team. No coaching staff will have a chance at success as long as Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn are under center.

If you don't believe me, go watch the Steelers being led by Charlie Batch. They're AWFUL. They look a lot like Chiefs, in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    It's especially important to talk about how bad of a QB these two are, on days like today. You seem to get too high on the highs. Today, just like the 2010 season, is the exception, not the rule. Getting excited about how your team performed on an exceptionally emotional day, against a horrible team, playing at home, is nothing more than getting excited about pyrite... and, (just like 2010 when the Chiefs had to finally play a good team) if you think Quinn/Cassel is the answer at the QB position, you're going to get a quick reality check.

Can teams win with poor QBs? Absolutely. Again, reference Denver last season. Will teams consistently contend for Super Bowls with poor QBs? Absolutely not.
    Silly me I guess even when the QB plays pretty darn good like today we are supose to bash him. It's not "getting to high" to say that a boy keep it up. That's All I'm doing. If Quinn does play like he did the rest of the season then I think we should let him fight for the job next year. Not give him the job let him fight for it. That's a big IF. That's all I have said. You chose to start yet anther thread talking about how bad our QBs are instead of saying keep it up on a day where he threw for over 200 yards and 2 tds. What's there to hate on today? Just enjoy the win. Instead you makes excuses for why we win just to hate the QB.

But hey lets go with your outlook and reach for something to hate on. BOWE SHOULD BE CUT. There was a play where he just didn't run on the rout as the commentator pointed out during the game. SO he sucks we need to get rid of him right? We can't get "to high off the win" right we have to find something to hate on. See how stupid that sounds.

But don't let me get in the way of your hateing carry on
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Silly me I guess even when the QB plays pretty darn good like today we are supose to bash him. It's not "getting to high" to say that a boy keep it up. That's All I'm doing. If Quinn does play like he did the rest of the season then I think we should let him fight for the job next year. Not give him the job let him fight for it. That's a big IF. That's all I have said. You chose to start yet anther thread talking about how bad our QBs are instead of saying keep it up on a day where he threw for over 200 yards and 2 tds. What's there to hate on today? Just enjoy the win. Instead you makes excuses for why we win just to hate the QB.

But hey lets go with your outlook and reach for something to hate on. BOWE SHOULD BE CUT. There was a play where he just didn't run on the rout as the commentator pointed out during the game. SO he sucks we need to get rid of him right? We can't get "to high off the win" right we have to find something to hate on. See how stupid that sounds.

But don't let me get in the way of your hateing carry on
    No. You need to stay grounded instead of pretending that Quinn is something he isn't. Matt Cassel's last year in New England was a good year. Pioli got caught chasing pyrite with Cassel. Now, you want to do the same thing with Quinn. It's absurd! Ryan Leaf even had a game with 2 TDs, no INTs and almost 300 yds passing... again, exception or the rule?

If we could cherry-pick performances for our QBs to have, they'd all be Pro Bowlers, but unfortunately, we can't do that. We have to look at these guys' track records, past performances, and then try to project what they will be in the future. What about Brady Quinn's past makes you think he could be the QB for this franchise to build around for the foreseeable future? Your argument would lead us to believe that we should disregard everything he has done previous to his performance today against a 3-win team and judge him strictly on this performance alone.

The only way Quinn deserves ANOTHER shot at being the starting QB for this team is if we did exactly that and ignore his entire history before today. Let's not forget that Quinn had an opportunity to win the job this season and failed to beat out a QB who would only muster a 66 QBR.

Really? THAT'S the guy you want to go to bat for?

No. You need to stay grounded instead of pretending that Quinn is something he isn't. Matt Cassel's last year in New England was a good year. Pioli got caught chasing pyrite with Cassel. Now, you want to do the same thing with Quinn. It's absurd! Ryan Leaf even had a game with 2 TDs, no INTs and almost 300 yds passing... again, exception or the rule?

If we could cherry-pick performances for our QBs to have, they'd all be Pro Bowlers, but unfortunately, we can't do that. We have to look at these guys' track records, past performances, and then try to project what they will be in the future. What about Brady Quinn's past makes you think he could be the QB for this franchise to build around for the foreseeable future? Your argument would lead us to believe that we should disregard everything he has done previous to his performance today against a 3-win team and judge him strictly on this performance alone.

The only way Quinn deserves ANOTHER shot at being the starting QB for this team is if we did exactly that and ignore his entire history before today. Let's not forget that Quinn had an opportunity to win the job this season and failed to beat out a QB who would only muster a 66 QBR.

Good post. This is a great example of 2010, when KC played easy team after easy team and Cassel fooled us all. It's the Panthers, ya'all.

I said IF he plays like he did today the rest of the season he should get a shot at the job along with someone else how is that not being grounded? IF is the big word there. I have my doubts that it will happen but I don't say that it's not possible because it is no matter how unlikely it is theres a 1% chance he could do it there's still a chance.

Brady Quinn doesn't even have 1 full year of starts in his career he has never got a full chance to become a real starter in his career. Today was his 15th start. It was a darn good one. If he keeps doing that and beats out a draft pick or free agent whatever that also is brought in then I'm fine with him at QB. That's all IF he finishes the season like he did today. You speak like he has years of failing he hasn't even had a full season of starts. Your hate for him blinds you to that fact.

Brady Quinn today passed for 200 yards and threw for 2tds didn't turn the ball over once. All I said was that a boy keep it up. Sorry I don't hate on our qbs just to hate on our QBs. You keep hating I will enjoy the victory and for 1 day tip my cap to Brady on a job well done. Brady did nothing to get hated on today all he did was lead the Chiefs to a win in a pretty bad spot. But keep hating its all you and others can do when it comes to our qbs. Make your excuses for the win I will keep telling you that all you're doing is hating that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. Unless you can tell me why today I should hate on Quinn what 4 incomplete passes all day? I guess he really stunk up arrowhead today. I don't see what the problem is with just saying good job keep it up after a win. I guess silly old me will just get to pumped up by doing that.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    Good post. This is a great example of 2010, when KC played easy team after easy team and Cassel fooled us all. It's the Panthers, ya'all.
    The panthers seemed to be able to beat RGIII you no one of the Qbs that we were so stupid for not drafting but keep making up excuse for the wins to hate the QBS.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

I said IF he plays like he did today the rest of the season he should get a shot at the job along with someone else how is that not being grounded? IF is the big word there. I have my doubts that it will happen but I don't say that it's not possible because it is no matter how unlikely it is theres a 1% chance he could do it there's still a chance.

Brady Quinn doesn't even have 1 full year of starts in his career he has never got a full chance to become a real starter in his career. Today was his 15th start. It was a darn good one. If he keeps doing that and beats out a draft pick or free agent whatever that also is brought in then I'm fine with him at QB. That's all IF he finishes the season like he did today. You speak like he has years of failing he hasn't even had a full season of starts. Your hate for him blinds you to that fact.

Brady Quinn today passed for 200 yards and threw for 2tds didn't turn the ball over once. All I said was that a boy keep it up. Sorry I don't hate on our qbs just to hate on our QBs. You keep hating I will enjoy the victory and for 1 day tip my cap to Brady on a job well done. Brady did nothing to get hated on today all he did was lead the Chiefs to a win in a pretty bad spot. But keep hating its all you and others can do when it comes to our qbs. Make your excuses for the win I will keep telling you that all you're doing is hating that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. Unless you can tell me why today I should hate on Quinn what 4 incomplete passes all day? I guess he really stunk up arrowhead today. I don't see what the problem is with just saying good job keep it up after a win. I guess silly old me will just get to pumped up by doing that.
    That is what I was saying in my earlier post and using Rich Gannon as an example. The key words are UNKNOWN COMMODITY ( and any QB they draft is going to also be an unknown commodity ). And Quinn wasn't brought in to beat out Cassel or even challenge him for the starting QB position, he was brought in as a BACKUP to Cassel.

Quinn hadn't seen the field since 2009 & two years on the sidelines doesn't make any QB sharp. Like you touched on, the question remains, can he make progress and improve? We'll see.

So, let's give Quinn the absolute BEST possible outcome over the next 4 weeks, he ends up with stats no worse than what he did today, and finishes the season with 5 straight wins...

You guys are good with Quinn going forward knowing that he put up those numbers in games that don't matter, against teams with losing records, and a final game against a Broncos team who will probably be playing their 2nd and 3rd string players?

Your entire offseason approach at the QB position will be determined by these last 5 games under those conditions and you think that's a good sample... is that right?

Just making sure I have your argument correct.

So, let's give Quinn the absolute BEST possible outcome over the next 4 weeks, he ends up with stats no worse than what he did today, and finishes the season with 5 straight wins...

You guys are good with Quinn going forward knowing that he put up those numbers in games that don't matter, against teams with losing records, and a final game against a Broncos team who will probably be playing their 2nd and 3rd string players?

Your entire offseason approach at the QB position will be determined by these last 5 games under those conditions and you think that's a good sample... is that right?

Just making sure I have your argument correct.
    IF he does that I'm willing to give him a shot at the job in camp next year. I have said he would have to beat out a draft pick free agent or a traded for guy. Just a shot IF he does what he does today the rest of the year. If he does I don't see why you wouldn't give him a shot
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

I know one thing about quinn... This is what his 16th start. That's hardly enough to judge. He hasn't played much he has shown improvement. Wasn't Troy aikman 1 and 15 his rookie year. 16 starts is not enough to judge. He has been given crappy situation after crappy situation. No one has shown any confidence in him whatsoever. Is he the answer? I doubt it. But I'd rather draft te'o then reach for a qb that no one has higher than 15 on their boards. And save our qb draft for 2014.

16 starts folks that's all he has. In Denver he had no chance. He has barely played comin into this year of course he wasn't gonna beat cassel. 19 for 23 and 210 is pretty damn good. Lets see how he finishes before we judge.

The panthers seemed to be able to beat RGIII you no one of the Qbs that we were so stupid for not drafting but keep making up excuse for the wins to hate the QBS.
    The reason I'm not going to argue with you is because you have a tendency to simplify everything to one random game that supports your view. Cam Newton is a pretty damn good QB too. My view is more looking back on the 2010 season and saying, "Wow, they were able to beat some bad teams, but did nothing against good ones." And yes, Quinn played well, but I'm not going to foolishly say this is the magic bullet solution after 1 good game just because he plays for my favorite team.

I'm fine with Quinn staying to compete. I think it would be a great idea for all the reasons brdempsey69 said. I would really like to see him perform like that against a team like the Broncos though. Doesn't change my opinion that this team should use its draft position to draft the best QB.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast