Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Miami won't agree to contract that Albert is asking

Default Miami won't agree to contract that Albert is asking

Sorry to make a new thread, but I feel like my other post would have been buried by some of the bickering in the other Albert threads.

Apparently Albert is demanding more money than the Dolphins are willing to pay (8-9 million, which is what Miami DIDN'T pay Jake Long). This is the scenario that I thought would happen. Unfortunately, we will probably keep Albert for another year.

So, what are our options?

The ideal would be to trade out of the #1 pick. Ideally, the Jets really want G. smith and would give us their 2 #1s to get him. Not really likely, but it would be ideal. If that happened, I would take Star and either Fluker (to play RT), Eifert, Vaccaro, ogletree or one of the WRs. Any of those I would be fine with, or even trading down further with one of the picks to get a couple seconds this year and next.

Thats not really likely, so hopefully maybe someoneelse in the top 10 really likes Joeckel, Smith or Jordan and wants to trade with us. Then we take the BPA. Hopefully one of the tackles is still there, if not, maybe trade down further and stock up on mid round picks and picks next year.

If that doesn't work out, my last option would be to pick up one of the tackles and put him on the R side for a year. I dont see anyone worth the number one pick at a position of need for us. I don't think G. smith is going to be good in this league. We don't need an OLB like Dion Jordan, and I think DT is a need, but more for depth need than starters.

I kinda hope if we draft Joeckel and keep Albert, we tell him he is going to play RT. If he is serious about sitting out, prove it. If he does, we don't have to pay him and we have more cap space next year.

At least we will probably get a 4th round compensatory pick if he walks in free agency.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ers-his-price/

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    You wouldn't walk away from that -- it's too good an offer. But, you'd better hope that Stephenson and Allen become stellar pass-protectors at the Tackle spots real freaking quick ( not sure they have quite the skills in that area that Joeckel and Fisher have ) or Alex Smith could be in trouble.
    But that's assuming we don't take any good OT's in this upcoming draft. Trading Albert for a 2nd round pick, then the #1 pick for 2 1sts and another 2nd should put you in position to add some depth on the OL. There are definitely scenarios where Lane Johnson falls to #9. Hell, Fischer could even fall.

Just off the top of my head:

1. NYJ-G. Smith (LT: Furgeson)
    2. Jax-D. Jordan (LT: Monroe)
    3. Oak-D. Milliner (LT: Veldeer)
    4. Phi-S. Lotulelei (#1 LT Peters returns from achilles tear)
    5. Det-E. Ansah (2012 first round pick Reiff)
    6. Cle-J. Jones (#2 LT Thomas)
    7. Arz-Joekel/Fischer (LT Levi Brown)
    8. Buf-R. Nassib (LT: Demetrius Bell) If they think they can get Nassib in the 2nd, they could go LT here.

9.Chiefs- At the worst, Lane Johnson is still here. If Arizona is content with Levi Brown at LT and want impact somewhere else and then Buffalo goes with Nassib, the Chiefs could still have the pick of the litter at #9. One of the benefits of being perennially bad is that you probably have had a shot at a pretty good LT in previous drafts. The teams picking in the top ten are usually picking in the top 10 where the likes of Furgeson, Monroe, Peters, and Thomas were drafted. There isn't much need for LT's by the teams in the top 10. If the Chiefs aren't picking in the top 6, I just don't see an OT taken before then.

Bottom line, I think there would be at least 1 of the top 3 OT's available at #9 if the Chiefs were to pick there. Warmack or Cooper at #13 would be pretty cool too. Kenny Vaccaro would look really nice next to Eric Berry, but with all the DB help we've already signed, that might be overkill. I would guess Sheldon Richardson would be the pick in that scenario, however. Allen and Asamoah can lock down the OG spots, plus there's more picks in the 2nd round to help there. Taking an OG in the first half of the draft is just silly IMO. The value simply isn't there. Mingo could be available here as well.

Of course, if the Chiefs get the player they want at #9, there's always the possibility of the Chiefs trading back with that #13 pick. Perhaps targeting one of the good TE's, ILB's, or WR's in the mid-20's while maybe picking up a 3rd 2nd round pick. I know that if I got at LT at #9, that's what I would want to do.

Joekel also said he woukd play rt if asked to as well.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    But that's assuming we don't take any good OT's in this upcoming draft. Trading Albert for a 2nd round pick, then the #1 pick for 2 1sts and another 2nd should put you in position to add some depth on the OL. There are definitely scenarios where Lane Johnson falls to #9. Hell, Fischer could even fall.

Just off the top of my head:

1. NYJ-G. Smith (LT: Furgeson)
    2. Jax-D. Jordan (LT: Monroe)
    3. Oak-D. Milliner (LT: Veldeer)
    4. Phi-S. Lotulelei (#1 LT Peters returns from achilles tear)
    5. Det-E. Ansah (2012 first round pick Reiff)
    6. Cle-J. Jones (#2 LT Thomas)
    7. Arz-Joekel/Fischer (LT Levi Brown)
    8. Buf-R. Nassib (LT: Demetrius Bell) If they think they can get Nassib in the 2nd, they could go LT here.

9.Chiefs- At the worst, Lane Johnson is still here. If Arizona is content with Levi Brown at LT and want impact somewhere else and then Buffalo goes with Nassib, the Chiefs could still have the pick of the litter at #9. One of the benefits of being perennially bad is that you probably have had a shot at a pretty good LT in previous drafts. The teams picking in the top ten are usually picking in the top 10 where the likes of Furgeson, Monroe, Peters, and Thomas were drafted. There isn't much need for LT's by the teams in the top 10. If the Chiefs aren't picking in the top 6, I just don't see an OT taken before then.

Bottom line, I think there would be at least 1 of the top 3 OT's available at #9 if the Chiefs were to pick there. Warmack or Cooper at #13 would be pretty cool too. Kenny Vaccaro would look really nice next to Eric Berry, but with all the DB help we've already signed, that might be overkill. I would guess Sheldon Richardson would be the pick in that scenario, however. Allen and Asamoah can lock down the OG spots, plus there's more picks in the 2nd round to help there. Taking an OG in the first half of the draft is just silly IMO. The value simply isn't there. Mingo could be available here as well.

Of course, if the Chiefs get the player they want at #9, there's always the possibility of the Chiefs trading back with that #13 pick. Perhaps targeting one of the good TE's, ILB's, or WR's in the mid-20's while maybe picking up a 3rd 2nd round pick. I know that if I got at LT at #9, that's what I would want to do.

Good points. Can't rule out any of those possibilities. But, I also can't rule out SD jumping above #9 if Fisher and Joeckel are off the board. NO at #15 may be a candidate to jump up, as well.

Forgot something, Texaschief. If the Chiefs had two first 1st rounders and two 2nd rounders, they could also jump back up to #6 with Cleveland, as the Browns have no 2nd rounder -- that's assuming a guy like Fisher is still on the board at #6 and the Chiefs brass doesn't mind giving up one of the 2nd rounders to go get him. I'm pretty sure Cleveland would bite on that.

T-4 days. The Albert deal and our 1st overall pick will become very clear over the next few days. My dream scenario would be Albert coming back to the Chiefs on a new 4yr/28mm deal. Then trading back to pick up at least a 2nd rd pick and just draftin best player available.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    T-4 days. The Albert deal and our 1st overall pick will become very clear over the next few days. My dream scenario would be Albert coming back to the Chiefs on a new 4yr/28mm deal. Then trading back to pick up at least a 2nd rd pick and just draftin best player available.
    4yr/$24m MAYBE. I wouldn't go to $7m/yr for Albert. Neither would KC or this thing would probably be done already.

Take it for what you will... But Ian Rappaport just reported live on NFL network that the Dolphins are NOT balking on the price for Albert. Saying he wanted to get a contract similar to that of Duane Brown in the 8-9 million range and that they are OK with it. The real question is if the chiefs are willing to take the #54 pick as compensation.

a new development

Run on tackles could cause Cardinals to consider Branden Albert

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 22, 2013, 7:16 PM EDT
    APThe Arizona Cardinals could use a left tackle, and they have the No. 7 overall pick in a strong draft for left tackles. But with talk increasing that all three of the top tackle prospects will be gone within the first six picks, the Cardinals may need to look elsewhere.
    That may be why Mike Jurecki ‏of XTRA 910 in Phoenix is hearing that the Cardinals have discussed a trade with the Chiefs for left tackle Branden Albert. The Chiefs are reportedly willing to accept a second-round pick as compensation for Albert, who has been their starting left tackle for the last five years.
    The problem, however, is that Albert reportedly wants between $8 million and $9 million a year on a long-term contract. That appears to be the holdup on a trade with the Dolphins that had previously been discussed. The Cardinals would have to be willing to make a significant financial investment if they’re going to trade for Albert. And that’s why Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic is hearing that Albert is too expensive for the Cardinals’ tastes.
    But if Texas A&M left tackle Luke Joeckel, Central Michigan left tackle Eric Fisher and Oklahoma left tackle Lane Johnson are all off the board before the Cardinals make their pick, then Arizona may decide that the best option is to address another position in the first round and use their second-round pick to get Albert.

Quote Originally Posted by DMN View Post
    Take it for what you will... But Ian Rappaport just reported live on NFL network that the Dolphins are NOT balking on the price for Albert. Saying he wanted to get a contract similar to that of Duane Brown in the 8-9 million range and that they are OK with it. The real question is if the chiefs are willing to take the #54 pick as compensation.
    If this is true, then the Chiefs should just take #54. You can get good football players in that area. Look up north to GB and their selection of WR Randall Cobb at #64 in 2011. Nobody can dispute that Cobb is a good football player and a terrific value pick for the Packers.

Link for those interested in the news about Miami working out a contract with Albert.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...lberts-demands

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast