Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thigpen not happy

Thumbs up Thigpen not happy

Around The Web
    Thigpen wants to be a starting quarterback

Posted: Around The Web | NFL.com Staff | Tags: Kansas City Chiefs, Matt Cassel, Tyler Thigpen
    Chiefs QB Tyler Thigpen wants to be the starting quarterback. And you could even argue that Thigpen played well down the stretch for the Chiefs as one of the lone bright spots in a dreary season in Kansas City. But while you have to like the competitive fire from Thigpen, the Chiefs didn’t bring in Matt Cassel and his $14 million salary to back up the former seventh-round pick.
    Thigpen told the Kansas City Star that he’s “not OK” with being the backup again. He felt that he was going to come into the 2009 season as the starter. But he understands the situation — being Cassel’s backup — and will push on.
    • “It’s life,” Thigpen said Sunday. “Everything happens for a reason. You may not see the reason right now, but I know there’s a reason that they brought a guy in like Matt.
    • “I’m behind him, and all I’m doing is pushing him, making him better. Hopefully me doing that is going to make this team better.”
    Thigpen opened the 2009 season as the team’s No. 3 quarterback, but he went on to start 11 games for the Chiefs. He threw for 2,608 yards, 18 touchdowns and 12 interceptions for a passer rating of 76.0.

I for one like this, the harder Thigpen tries to win the starting job . The harder Cassel will try. It's win win if they continue to push each other week in and week out. The better both will play whichever one starts.

I liked the guy, but you have to win a couple. Without Tony, he'd be a real bum.

I like Thigpen. He's a scrappy guy who would have won a couple more games last year with a real HC.

That being said, unless Cassel gets hurt or ends up in jail, Thigpen isn't starting for the Chiefs.

He'll be our backup and will mop up games if we end up blowing someone out. We might even use him for the Wildcat or trick plays. He might even line up as WR once or twice. But he won't start.

He's under contract until after the 2010 season. His best bet is to be a good soldier in 2009, and then get traded pre-season 2010 to a team needing a young QB, like the Panthers or Titans.

He could very well get his opportunity again if Cassel busts. I like having him around, he has to be considered one of the better backups in the league now. Depth is good.

He probably wouldn't start anywhere else. And like it's already been said, Cassel will probably give 110% knowing that Thigpen is gunning for his job.

Quote Originally Posted by wichitaj View Post
    I liked the guy, but you have to win a couple. Without Tony, he'd be a real bum.
    on last years team w/out Tony cassel would be a real bum too. if Thiggy came out and said he's fine w/the backup role i would want to dump him. no member of an nfl team should be happy being a backup. to a man they all should believe they can be a starter given the chance or they shouldn't be there. so i'm happy he's not!

Quote Originally Posted by wichitaj View Post

This could be relative to another thread that was posted a while back about Cassell vs. Thiggy but again....

How well do you think Cassell would have done with the same exact roster and coaches that Thiggy had with the Chiefs? And, do you think Thigpen could have done better with the Pats offensive personnel and scheme?

Food for thought, eh?

I see a good competiton here and in all seriousness, I think the head honchos will play the better QB. That is why they did NOT sign Cassell to a long term deal. They will see and if he does not pan out, then they can move on.

This bothers me, he didnt win many games and was pretty inaccurate, I think he shined at times, but if he didnt get that chance, he wouldnt be saying anything, guys play a few games and think they are owed more, I just dont think at 3 inches shorter, with a weaker arm, that he has any advantage on cassel outside of his running ability, which Cassel is better at than people give him credit for, in fact, Cassel is tough, goes for the first down and was sacked 47 times last year, and kept going....That is the only other negative, Cassel took awhile in the pocket but got better.

Thigpen may be better than the vikings qbs right now, but I just dont see him being traded this season, not with Cassel still without a long term deal. Yes his contract is up after 2010, but he will be a restricted FA, he gets dealt next offseason after throwing a fit.

Quote Originally Posted by rustfan76 View Post
    Around The Web
    Thigpen wants to be a starting quarterback

Posted: Around The Web | NFL.com Staff | Tags: Kansas City Chiefs, Matt Cassel, Tyler Thigpen
    Chiefs QB Tyler Thigpen wants to be the starting quarterback. And you could even argue that Thigpen played well down the stretch for the Chiefs as one of the lone bright spots in a dreary season in Kansas City. But while you have to like the competitive fire from Thigpen, the Chiefs didn’t bring in Matt Cassel and his $14 million salary to back up the former seventh-round pick.
    Thigpen told the Kansas City Star that he’s “not OK” with being the backup again. He felt that he was going to come into the 2009 season as the starter. But he understands the situation — being Cassel’s backup — and will push on.
    • “It’s life,” Thigpen said Sunday. “Everything happens for a reason. You may not see the reason right now, but I know there’s a reason that they brought a guy in like Matt.
    • “I’m behind him, and all I’m doing is pushing him, making him better. Hopefully me doing that is going to make this team better.”
    Thigpen opened the 2009 season as the team’s No. 3 quarterback, but he went on to start 11 games for the Chiefs. He threw for 2,608 yards, 18 touchdowns and 12 interceptions for a passer rating of 76.0.

I for one like this, the harder Thigpen tries to win the starting job . The harder Cassel will try. It's win win if they continue to push each other week in and week out. The better both will play whichever one starts.
    I like thiggy but we are going to a more pro style system and we seen what happened in Atlanta. I think Thigpen will be good somewhere but never be a manning, Brady, type player. I really think cassell can. Sure he has been a back up his whole career but look who he has backed up. All he needed was chance and now he has it and honestly I think will go down as the greatest chiefs QB in history (hoping like hell anyways )

Quote Originally Posted by SDChief09 View Post
    Thigpen may be better than the vikings qbs right now, but I just dont see him being traded this season, not with Cassel still without a long term deal.
    If the Vikings wanted him, they shouldn't have cut him in the first place!

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    If the Vikings wanted him, they shouldn't have cut him in the first place!

Great point lol you know they hated him doing so well !

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast