Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Branden Albert to skip all voluntary workouts

Default Branden Albert to skip all voluntary workouts

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ntary-workouts

My take on this? GET RID OF THAT LT WANNABE AND DRAFT JOECKEL OR FISHER AND LET'S MOVE ON !!

And if anyone's feelings are hurt by that -- good, then let's continue !!

http://www.nfl.com/videos/kansas-city-chiefs/0ap2000000156572/Branden-Albert-wants-clarity-from-Kansas-City

I understand Branden, I wouldn't show either until I get that certainty. Why train for a team you don't even know will be your team?
    It's a business decision, just as the Chiefs made regarding Cassel and Studebaker.
    The best Chilean fan.
    Follow me on twitter @ChileanChief

OK, I stand corrected about the contract being in effect if he's cut. In reality, they never should have given him the franchise tag, except outside of the possibility of trading him for picks, BECAUSE......

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    Oh...

Hey guys, that wannabe LT Albert gave up 1 sack in 12 games last year! What a bum LT!!!

So much fail in this thread, lol.
    First off, it wasn't 1 sack, it was TWO. One against John Abraham in the Atlanta game, and one against Will Smith in the NO game. And let's not forget the hits on the QB. BTW, since you like to reference PFF so much, please do tell us why PFF ran an article just about why he should be moved to Guard. I haven't seen the article, but I've recently seen reference being made to it.

Secondly, he hasn't gone against a steady dose of top-tier pass-rushers over past 2 seasons & his run-blocking sucked last year. He couldn't even roadgrade a Steeler's DB that he out-weighed by 100 lbs & instead grabbed the DB & twisted him around like he was trying to do the 2-step waltz with him and rightfully got flagged for it, negating a TD and costing them the game. I watched him get overpowered repeatedly by bigger DE's and I saw that, up close and personal, against SD, when Corey Liuget went right through him and knocked the ball out of Charles hand & recovered it -- they score a TD afterwards, go up 17-0 and seize total control of the game. Stephenson played against the better opponents in his starts.

He's not a clutch performer, nor an anchor, nor a road-grader, was a Guard in college & high school, and PROJECT at LT in the NFL with the Chiefs and the project hasn't worked. The failure is on your side because you keep propping him up to be the equivalent of Willie Roaf or John Tait when he's not, and he's not a top-10 LT in this league.

When did I ever say they shouldn't move on? I said nothing about what the Chiefs should do. I have no idea what you are trying to prove here...
    Who was it that said that drafting Joeckel or Fisher was a lateral move and keeps crybabying about wanting Geno Smith taken at #1? And has started the "love for Branden Albert" threads? It was you.

It would be absolutely stupid for him to risk getting injured in voluntary workouts and risk a potential contract like Bushrod got (5/$35.96M w/ $17.715M guaranteed).
    The Bears overpaid Bushrod. He's not worth that & neither is Albert. Albert want's top 5 LT money and he's not a top 10 LT. And now he's bellyaching about a possible position change. He could learn something from John Tait, whom nobody heard any complaints from when he was moved to RT when Willie Roaf was brought in 2002. Tait was a far better LT than Albert.

And Albert could have at least showed up on the 1st day to get his playbook & voluntary workouts DON'T consist of heavy contact. Just basic exercise and walkthroughs. If he's worried about getting hurt in those, maybe the reports about his back being OK aren't correct.

If you can't understand that, well get off your soapbox. Bowe did the exact same thing last year. Smart of him too.
    HA HA !! Who's really on the soapbox & wearing the cheerleader skirt and carrying the pom-poms to boot, as evidenced by the PM that you sent me once about liking Albert at LT? And now wants to use Albert as a crutch to not take either Joeckel or Fisher because they want Geno Smith ( same crutch as in 2010 regarding drafting Berry over Okung )?

And Bowe was trying to get a long-term deal done was why he showed up late. BTW, did you notice that Dorsey gave Bowe the long-term deal and DIDN'T give Albert one, even though they had the cap space before they started signing FA's

Kudos to Dorsey for not giving Albert what he wants because he knows Albert isn't a top 10 LT and that he's easily replaceable & certainly can be upgraded at the LT position. I hope Dorsey does trade him.

Quote Originally Posted by pojote View Post
    I understand Branden, I wouldn't show either until I get that certainty. Why train for a team you don't even know will be your team?
    It's a business decision, just as the Chiefs made regarding Cassel and Studebaker.
    It's called PROFESSIONALISM. As a GM, would you be willing to give any clarity to a guy that's wanting to be overpaid & has stated that he won't make a position switch to help out the team, if needed? Like I said Albert could learn something from John Tait. Tait still managed to get a lucrative contract.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 04-02-2013 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    OK, I stand corrected about the contract being in effect if he's cut. In reality, they never should have given him the franchise tag, except outside of the possibility of trading him for picks, BECAUSE......

First off, it wasn't 1 sack, it was TWO. One against John Abraham in the Atlanta game, and one against Will Smith in the NO game. And let's not forget the hits on the QB. BTW, since you like to reference PFF so much, please do tell us why PFF ran an article just about why he should be moved to Guard. I haven't seen the article, but I've recently seen reference being made to it.

Secondly, he hasn't gone against a steady dose of top-tier pass-rushers over past 2 seasons & his run-blocking sucked last year. He couldn't even roadgrade a Steeler's DB that he out-weighed by 100 lbs & instead grabbed the DB & twisted him around like he was trying to do the 2-step waltz with him and rightfully got flagged for it, negating a TD and costing them the game. I watched him get overpowered repeatedly by bigger DE's and I saw that, up close and personal, against SD, when Corey Liuget went right through him and knocked the ball out of Charles hand & recovered it -- they score a TD afterwards, go up 17-0 and seize total control of the game. Stephenson played against the better opponents in his starts.

He's not a clutch performer, nor an anchor, nor a road-grader, was a Guard in college & high school, and PROJECT at LT in the NFL with the Chiefs and the project hasn't worked. The failure is on your side because you keep propping him up to be the equivalent of Willie Roaf or John Tait when he's not, and he's not a top-10 LT in this league.

Who was it that said that drafting Joeckel or Fisher was a lateral move and keeps crybabying about wanting Geno Smith taken at #1? And has started the "love for Branden Albert" threads? It was you.

The Bears overpaid Bushrod. He's not worth that & neither is Albert. Albert want's top 5 LT money and he's not a top 10 LT. And now he's bellyaching about a possible position change. He could learn something from John Tait, whom nobody heard any complaints from when he was moved to RT when Willie Roaf was brought in 2002. Tait was a far better LT than Albert.

And Albert could have at least showed up on the 1st day to get his playbook & voluntary workouts DON'T consist of heavy contact. Just basic exercise and walkthroughs. If he's worried about getting hurt in those, maybe the reports about his back being OK aren't correct.

HA HA !! Who's really on the soapbox & wearing the cheerleader skirt and carrying the pom-poms to boot, as evidenced by the PM that you sent me once about liking Albert at LT? And now wants to use Albert as a crutch to not take either Joeckel or Fisher because they want Geno Smith ( same crutch as in 2010 regarding drafting Berry over Okung )?

And Bowe was trying to get a long-term deal done was why he showed up late. BTW, did you notice that Dorsey gave Bowe the long-term deal and DIDN'T give Albert one, even though they had the cap space before they started signing FA's

Kudos to Dorsey for not giving Albert what he wants because he knows Albert isn't a top 10 LT and that he's easily replaceable & certainly can be upgraded at the LT position. I hope Dorsey does trade him.

It's called PROFESSIONALISM. As a GM, would you be willing to give any clarity to a guy that's wanting to be overpaid & has stated that he won't make a position switch to help out the team, if needed? Like I said Albert could learn something from John Tait. Tait still managed to get a lucrative contract.
    First let me say I am not a fan of Albert. You can probably go back and check but I was much more in favor of Drafting Russel Okung instead of Berry in hopes of replacing Albert or moving him to RT.

Fact of the matter, he is the best lineman we have on this team. D. Stephenson showed a lot of promise and could very well be a very solid RT for us but after that. The line is not consistent at all. Giving Albert the TAG was a must just for safety reasons. What if after the Chiefs start looking at the top tackles in the draft they find something wrong with them bouncing them out of consideration. What if those guys need a year to develop. Why not tag him? Who else did the Chiefs lose that you would have wanted to TAG. Okay the Chiefs have to spend 9 million dollars on possibly the second most important position on the team to protect you most important player on the team who did have a concussion last year.

Now I will argue that every person saying look at the Sacks he didn't give up. I say look at the holding penalties he got instead. The only real issue with Albert is what he values himself as. He has been very upset that he was passed on for pro-bowl selections.

Now as far as this week. I may be wrong but almost every player gets a bonus if they show up to thes work outs as an incentive in their contracts. The Franchise tag does not have this. Also, there is assumptions the Chiefs told him to not come. Speculation is that they don't want him getting hurt while he is on the trading block. They may also have no intentions of him being here and just told him to stay away so that he can use what they are working on as a competitive advantage against he Chiefs should they trading team be on their schedule.

So before people blast into him for not showing up, it may not be his call. It may be his call. Just don't jump to conclussions without any fact to it.

Seek, you make some good points, but would it not have looked better for him to at least come in and get his playbook, even if the team did tell him stay away. Even if they did tell him to stay out, I don't see why he couldn't at least make the request to get his playbook the 1st day and show that he's serious about wanting to stay in KC. I'm not going to go along with the argument about "why show a player that you may be trading the playbook" -- because that happens all the time.

If he'd have kept silent and and once the Franchise tag was given to him and then said something to the effect of "my preference is LT, but I'll play anywhere they want me to and hopefully we can work out a long-term solution", then that would have been one thing & he'd have everybody's support in that regard -- FO, coaching staff, teammates, fans, etc. That's not the case, as he's gone completely the opposite route & is on the path to screwing himself royally & for what? Highly doubtful that any of the other 31 teams view him as a top-10 LT and he's wanting a commitment from the new regime that they would be foolish to give him, as he hasn't proven to be worthy of top 5 LT money.

I will keep pointing to John Tait as an example that Albert would have been wise to follow. I also suspect that Dorsey already made a fair offer to him and Albert snubbed it because he's dead set on getting top 5 LT money that no team in the NFL is going to pay him.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post

This article doesn't exist (why you haven't seen it). The only article referencing "Branden Albert" and "Guard" is this one, written in February: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...owe-or-albert/. It says:

Drafted out of Virginia with the 15th overall selection in the 2008 draft, not many people expected left tackle to be Albert’s position long-term with a move to the right, or inside to guard predicted. However, through four seasons at the position he has continued to grow, leading to a very consistent past two seasons where he has graded out at +14.7 and+13.8, respectively.
    And this is essentially why people don't like Albert. 3-4 years ago Albert "needed to be moved to guard" and had "peaked as a LT." I defended the guy, saying he was continuing to grow. And grow he did, as evidenced above. Now people can't admit they were wrong and instead feel they need to attack the guy. For what? Proving you wrong? The amount of butthurt in this thread is hilarious.

What holding penalties? According to this (http://www.footballdb.com/penalties-player.html?tm=16) Albert had ONE holding penalty this year. This site also lines up with PFF which had Albert down for 5 total penalties (4 false start, 1 hold). Side note: Okung had the 3rd most penalties among LTs (7 false start, 3 holds).

I'm done defending Albert. You guys can bash away at him because you feel like you have to take him down a notch after he's shown that he's one of the better LTs in the league. Have fun. I'm out.

It won't let me edit the above post, but this paragraph was also write below the one I quoted from that article:

The Chiefs may not have their franchise signal-caller yet, but when they do they’ll want to keep him upright. In that respect there are few players at his position out there better than Albert. Allowing just 17 total pressures from 378 pass blocking snaps in 2012, he finished the year with a Pass Blocking Efficiency (PBE) rating of 96.6, a mark which was tied for seventh among offensive tackles. Through the past two seasons he has allowed Chiefs quarterbacks to be hit or sacked just 16 times from 926 pass blocking snaps — working out to be quarterback knockdown allowed just once every 57.8 pass blocking attempts.

Just garbage, I tell ya.

These voluntary workouts aren't practices there's alot of meetings and just working out with weights so nobody should be getting hurt at this stage. They didn't tell him to stay home he's waiting to see if he will be traded or not! He's being a crybaby. ALBERT get your lazy *** up and show some work ethic! Self determination goes a long way in life

I wonder if any would go to work on Sundays for free in a profitable business. I know I wouldn't.
    It's about the same, he won't get paid more, it won't make him better, not even knows for sure if he will be on this team at week 1, so he can't build chemistry with teammates.
    It's just a business decision.
    The best Chilean fan.
    Follow me on twitter @ChileanChief

It won't let me edit the above post, but this paragraph was also write below the one I quoted from that article:

Just garbage, I tell ya.
    That's because they've constricted their passing game severely during that time to mostly short and quick passes, they had a left-handed QB starting multiple times & the caliber of opponents he's gone against overall hasn't been anywhere near the caliber that Okung has gone against in that same time span, except for rare occasions.

This article doesn't exist (why you haven't seen it). The only article referencing "Branden Albert" and "Guard" is this one, written in February: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...owe-or-albert/. It says:
    So what? All it's really telling anybody is that he's gone from mediocre to perhaps average at LT and that the whole project has amounted to nothing but wasted time. The problem is the whole overall picture is not being looked at with what's being said in that article you are pointing to & DOESN'T justify passing on Okung in 2010 or justify you wanting Geno Smith taken with the Chiefs draft pick in 2013.

And this is essentially why people don't like Albert. 3-4 years ago Albert "needed to be moved to guard" and had "peaked as a LT."
    It was also stated that he had All-Pro potential at Guard & the that the Pioli regime was doing a huge disservice to him by keeping him at LT. He could have had multiple Pro Bowls under his belt playing at Guard, but of course, we'll never know now. What we don't like about Albert is the way people like you persist in making him up to be something that he isn't & keep using him as a crutch to not try and get better at LT position by drafting a top-tier LT prospect. Now, he thinks he's a top 5 LT and wanting to be paid as such & John Dorsey rightfully doesn't see it that way. Now, Albert is threatening to hold out completely unless the Chiefs give him a long-term deal, giving further reason for the dislike that he is heaping upon himself:

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/04/02...wont-show.html

I defended the guy, saying he was continuing to grow. And grow he did, as evidenced above. Now people can't admit they were wrong and instead feel they need to attack the guy. For what? Proving you wrong? The amount of butthurt in this thread is hilarious.
    Sure, and he probably improved at making a loud beer fart in a whirlwind during that time, too. So what? He has NOT grown into a clutch performer, an anchor, nor a road-grader at the LT position. Like it or not, the overhead camera doesn't lie regarding that matter & nobody has been wrong about a better player than Albert at LT is needed and if that weren't the case, then Joeckel or Fisher would not be in consideration for the Chiefs 1st pick in 2013.

The butthurt is all on your side, as your crutch for forsaking the LT position in round 1 of the draft is probably about to be eliminated & rightfully so.

What holding penalties? According to this (http://www.footballdb.com/penalties-player.html?tm=16) Albert had ONE holding penalty this year. This site also lines up with PFF which had Albert down for 5 total penalties (4 false start, 1 hold). Side note: Okung had the 3rd most penalties among LTs (7 false start, 3 holds).
    Is that the best you can do as far as comparing Albert to Okung? Most of those penalties against Okung came in the 1st half of the season. Tell us, which player scored pancake blocks against guys like Vince Woolfork, Justin Smith, Glenn Dorsey and others? Which player has the longer arms, better strength ( Okung did 38 bench press reps in his 2010 combine workout compared to Albert's 23 in 2008 ), better footwork, better blocking skills & in the last 3 years, faced the better series of opponents, overall?

I'm done defending Albert. You guys can bash away at him because you feel like you have to take him down a notch after he's shown that he's one of the better LTs in the league. Have fun. I'm out.
    Quite the contrary. It's you who are taking him UP notches by calling him one o the better LT's in the league, when in reality, he isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by pojote View Post
    I wonder if any would go to work on Sundays for free in a profitable business. I know I wouldn't.
    It's about the same, he won't get paid more, it won't make him better, not even knows for sure if he will be on this team at week 1, so he can't build chemistry with teammates.
    It's just a business decision.
    That works BOTH ways. Given what happened with Albert last year with the back problems and such, there's no way this new regime should make a long-term commitment to Albert without another year to evaluate him first to see if he's really worth that long-term commitment.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast