Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Our Faithful GM and What he Thought About Trading For Matt Cassel

Default Our Faithful GM and What he Thought About Trading For Matt Cassel

This a great article from the KC Star about Cassel's tenure here. You can read it for yourself, but I wanted to pull out one quote (thanks to @ChrisWesseling on Twitter for pointing this out):

"Shortly after making the trade that would come to define his time as general manager of the Chiefs, Scott Pioli began telling friends he wasn’t sure how good Matt Cassel would be as a starting NFL quarterback.

“But I know he’ll work like a great one,” Pioli said.

In that way, Cassel has lived up to his side of the deal. He has been promoted and paid like good starter, and it turns out he has the ability of a good backup. The gap is not because of a lack of effort, or caring. That’s not his fault. Neither is his tie to Pioli.
    "

Read more here: Sam Mellinger | Cassel sets example despite abuse - KansasCity.com

Sam Mellinger | Cassel sets example despite abuse - KansasCity.com

Quote Originally Posted by #58ChiefsFan View Post
    Not to defend Pioli but Cassel just came off an 11-5 year where he was 10-5 as a starter. He was supposedly recreating the exact same thing. I'm not convinced Cassel was the wrong choice at the time, the major fault was the lack of coaching. You know the same damn problem we still have four years later.
    Without Wies the kid is uncoachable.

Quote Originally Posted by #58ChiefsFan View Post
    Not to defend Pioli but Cassel just came off an 11-5 year where he was 10-5 as a starter. He was supposedly recreating the exact same thing. I'm not convinced Cassel was the wrong choice at the time, the major fault was the lack of coaching. You know the same damn problem we still have four years later.

No, the problem was that he sucks. He beat one winning team with a team that went 19-1 the previous year.

Quote Originally Posted by MyManHali View Post
    No, the problem was that he sucks. He beat one winning team with a team that went 19-1 the previous year.
    I'm just sayin he was a first year starter and there was little reason to think he would never get better, well actually regress. Lucky for us Scott made that happen at our expense.

I say keep Matt and upgrade coaches. Draft teo. And pick up wr and o-line depth and a 2nd or 3rd rd qb.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord-Chiefy View Post
    I say keep Matt and upgrade coaches. Draft teo. And pick up wr and o-line depth and a 2nd or 3rd rd qb.
    "Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

Te'o doesn't magically turn this team into a competitor year in and year out. He's probably going to be a solid LBer in this league, but a lot of hype comes because he is 1.) Playing in the national championship game and 2.) was in the Heisman race. He's a great college player, but he's not going to be a difference maker for the Chiefs when their offense continues to put up 15 points a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord-Chiefy View Post
    I don't think we need to keep Matt at all. I don't think he's ever going to be the guy. And with the money we would have to pay him to be a #2 it would be insane. Brady I would be open to. And I really doin't care how else we get anther QB. But I think we have seen enough of Cassel in KC.

But for any QB to have a real shot at being great on this team we would have to upgrade the coaches. Matt Cassel isn't a great QB but he's not as bad as he has looked this year. And you can say that about a number of guys. Coaching is going to be the biggest need this offseason fallowed a close 2nd by someway getting a QB.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    "Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

Te'o doesn't magically turn this team into a competitor year in and year out. He's probably going to be a solid LBer in this league, but a lot of hype comes because he is 1.) Playing in the national championship game and 2.) was in the Heisman race. He's a great college player, but he's not going to be a difference maker for the Chiefs when their offense continues to put up 15 points a week.
    Not true. He was getting press before notre dame made their run. What he has done at the university and the person he is, is frankly amazing. I know you are sayin qb qb qb qb.

He is a rare individual, he is just special. Very similar to rgiii and luck. Athletes like manti do not come around very often. Good people make good things happen and he is a better person than he is athlete. He will change a franchise, wherever he goes. Pretty sure ray Lewis won a Super Bowl with no offense and they have been competitive year in year out with a mediocre offense.

To me, I think its stupid to reach for a QB with the 1st-3rd pick in the first round, i honestly think Geno is worth a late 1st round pick, we could easily get any player that is considered a top 3 pick and just trade back up.

But the only problem i see is that Philly, Jax, Pitt, and Arz may be looking for QBs (Philly and ARZ might go for O-line)

Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post
    To me, I think its stupid to reach for a QB with the 1st-3rd pick in the first round, i honestly think Geno is worth a late 1st round pick, we could easily get any player that is considered a top 3 pick and just trade back up.

But the only problem i see is that Philly, Jax, Pitt, and Arz may be looking for QBs (Philly and ARZ might go for O-line)
    You may want to add in the Jets and Buffalo. Then there are wild cards like Dallas (who knows what Jerry Jones wants to do), Cleveland-if they clean house may want a different QB, and Oakland may want to go after someone to replace Palmer in a year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post

I think it's stupid to "reach" for a Linebacker in the 1st-3rd pick. Only one inside linebacker ever, Aundray Bruce to the Falcons in '88, was drafted first overall. He went on to start 42 games in 11 years.

Since 1999, 3 inside linebackers have been drafted within the top 5: Aaron Curry, A.J. Hawk, and Lavarr Arrington. Curry is a HUGE bust, Hawk about as mediocre as you can get, and Arrington was probably the best of the 3. During Arrington's 7-year career w/ the Skins, they went on to finish w/ the following records:

2000: 8-8
    2001: 8-8
    2002: 7-9
    2003: 5-11
    2004: 6-10
    2005: 10-6 (playoffs)
    2006: 5-11

I mean it when I say taking Te'o in this draft would be one of the worst ideas ever given the state of this team and the offense. I'm sorry. I will be extremely disappointed if this happens. No inside linebacker is going to come in and just transform this team. You can talk about his intangibles all you want. Eric Berry had all of these same intangibles (leader, hard worker, blah blah blah). And that's what it boils down to, Te'o is the Eric Berry of this draft: the sexy, fan-favorite pick.
    Last edited by Ryfo18; 12-07-2012 at 02:57 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast