Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: LJ might have to sit

Default LJ might have to sit

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) _ Larry Johnson spent Monday undergoing treatment and tests on his injured right foot amid fears Kansas City's Pro Bowl running back could be sidelined for an extended period.

Larry Johnson

Running Back
    Kansas City Chiefs

The Chiefs said Johnson sustained a mid-foot sprain when he was tackled from behind after a short gain in the fourth quarter of Sunday's 33-22 loss to Green Bay. He was helped off the field by two trainers and was unable to put any weight on the foot.
    The fifth-year back, who set an NFL record last season with 416 carries, has been off to a slow start after missing camp before signing a six-year, $45 million contract.

His absence could be a blow to what is already one of the league's feeblest offenses. It would also elevate Priest Holmes, the former Pro Bowler who has resurrected his career after missing almost two full seasons with a spinal injury.
    "They're running some more tests," coach Herm Edwards said late Monday afternoon. "[Johnson] came in to get treatment, but they took an MRI and they're still studying it. We won't know for sure until probably [Tuesday] sometime exactly what the severity is and if he's going to be out, and if so, how long."

Holmes had four touches on Sunday for 16 yards as the Chiefs (4-4) remained tied with San Diego in the AFC West. The 34-year-old former Pro Bowler has had only seven carries for 17 yards since he returned three weeks ago, capping a remarkable and entirely unexpected comeback from a career-threatening spinal injury in October 2005.

Holmes would probably split duty with rookie Kolby Smith, who was taken in the fifth round out of Louisville, but has barely gotten on the field.

"I don't see Priest carrying the ball more than 15 times," Edwards said. "Kolby's going to have to carry it some. He's played more football this year, counting the preseason, than Priest has. You don't want to wear Priest out."
    The Chiefs would prefer to have one featured back.

"We've got to do it by committee a little bit," Edwards said. "If we've got to do it that way, we've got to do it that way. You'd like to have a mainstay who you know can carry it 20 times and give the other guy the extras. I don't know if Kolby can carry it 20 times. Who knows?"

Consistency is what's often missing when runners share the load, Edwards said.

"It's the consistency of the runner. He's real familiar with how the line is going to block things and the line is familiar with how he's going to run. It all works together. Certain runners run certain ways. The linemen know where he's going to be on certain runs. And the runner gets a good feel for the blocking in front of him."
    Kolby was drafted to be Johnson's backup.

"Before Priest came back, Kolby was kind of being groomed to be that second guy," Edwards said. "Priest comes, and that kind of puts a different spin on it. If Larry does miss some time, then we're going to find out about Kolby, which is good. He could be that second guy."

Holmes, who scored on a 2-point conversion after Johnson went out, has worked hard to get in shape. But no one is sure if he's regained the feel and timing that made him a three-time Pro Bowler.

"The only thing I've been doing for the last 10 or 12 weeks is working my tail off," he said. "I'll continue to do that, and if the opportunity presents itself, I'll be ready."

Sunday was the first time he'd appeared at Arrowhead Stadium since he was injured.
    "It was something that has been a long time in the works," Holmes said. "To make it to the first home game since the 22-month layoff, I'm excited. I couldn't ask for anything more. It was a nice welcome back."

Smith said Monday he had spoken with Johnson to wish him well.
    "I talked to him, asked him how he was doing," Smith said. "He said he was home just relaxing. That's pretty much all we said."
    Smith said he did not discuss Johnson's status for this week's game against Denver.

"We didn't talk about that. I didn't even want to bring it up," he said. "I was just checking on him to see if he was OK or not."
    Smith said he would be ready to assume part of the load.
    "That's why I'm here. They drafted me for a reason and I have to take advantage of that opportunity," he said.
    <a href=http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg target=_blank>http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg</a>

Official thread killer I have heard.

It's going to be interesting to see whether or not Priest is ready to carry the load.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    It's going to be interesting to see whether or not Priest is ready to carry the load.
    IMO I think that he is. He never forgot how to play, he just wasn't able to. A player with his talent gets back on horse pretty quick. He just needed his oppurtunity to shine again. It bites that LJ had to get hurt for him to have that chance but I am glad he has it.
    <a href=http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg target=_blank>http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg</a>

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    I think Priest will do fine. He's as rested as you can get. For him the season has just started.

Jamaal Charles. University of Texas.

Priest is patient unlike LJ im sad to say. Priest can wait and then excelerate like no other. i see him doing real good in place of LJ if he does get sit out the next game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by anaeelbackwards View Post
    Priest is patient unlike LJ im sad to say. Priest can wait and then excelerate like no other. i see him doing real good in place of LJ if he does get sit out the next game.
    Not to mention Priest can leap over a pile like no one I've ever seen. I'm excited to see him in action again.

Quote Originally Posted by anaeelbackwards View Post
    Also I would like to add that when Priest is out on the field he actually points and directs people. That shows leadership and the willingness to help the team. He is an assest to have on the field.

I don't think it takes a doctor to tell that LJ will be sitting for at least one week, probably two.

That roll was nasty!
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Well I certainly like his attitude better on and off the field.

Quote Originally Posted by sling58 View Post
    Also I would like to add that when Priest is out on the field he actually points and directs people. That shows leadership and the willingness to help the team. He is an assest to have on the field.
    Agreed! No matter what Fatboy Whitlock says, Priest is a definite asset and we're lucky to have him. I'm glad he came back. Otherwise our running game would be as bad as the O line.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast