Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Possibility of KC hosting a Superbowl?

Default Possibility of KC hosting a Superbowl?

Currently, I'm in Dallas for a few weeks and this city will host Superbowl 45 in Feb 2011 and will be the first time that DFW hosts a Superbowl. (ofc talk of the town/ESPN is how the Cowboys are choking big time, unlikely to make it to become first team in NFL history to play superbowl in its home stadium, but thats another issue)

So was looking at future Superbowl hosting cities 46 is IND, 47 is in NOLA, 48 is in some stadium in NJ, which is a completely open stadium.

I remember KC voters turning down some tax increase to put a retractable roof on Arrowhead, which according to Wikipedia, NFL was going to award Superbowl 49 in 2015 to KC provided it had a roof!

So is there still plans to try to put up a roof on Arrowhead? Or how likely is NFL willing to host a Superbowl in a fully open stadium?

Would be totally awesome to see Superbowl come to KC...and by 2015 hopefully our team will have matured and be considered as much of a Superbowl contender as Steelers/Colts/Pats/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by #58ChiefsFan View Post
    I hope I never live to see the day they put a roof on Arrowhead. All the stadiums selling the naming rights makes me sick as well. Hopefully the tradition of our stadium isn't for sale just to host a superbowl.
    I would be soooooo upset & mad if they changed the name of Arrowhead, and Lamar (RIP) would be too! I could be wrong, but I don't think the Hunt family will ever sell the rights & sell out Arrowheads historic name. We're blessed as fans, in that the owners of our Chiefs are a family of sentiment, honor & principle, not always about the money, or money only. The Hunt family loves our Chiefs and Arrowhead as much as we do. It is obvious without doubt, when one visits the new Arrowhead and see's to what extreme effort the Hunt family went to incorporating the history of their Chiefs, & the NFL into Arrowheads renovation.

Quote Originally Posted by SIC J View Post
    Can you imagine how loud it would be if they put a roof over Arrowhead? LOL

My ears are aching just imagining the noise, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    Fans that go to the superbowl, or not the normal NFL fan. The superbowl, is a celebrity shoot, and those are the fans who are custom to the box suites with heaters.
    Ditto! Very few average NFL fans are in attendance at the Super Bowl. Hell, between the worldwide media, corporate advertising sponsors of the NFL, NFL execs, staff, franchise owners, coaches, players...all the family & connections of those above receiving tickets...there aren't many left for the average fan!

IMO...the Super Bowl will be hosted any place the NFL believes is profitable or of benefit to the NFL in some aspect. As well, many cities don't have an interest in hosting a Super Bowl. Some research indicates the cities lose money related to hosting a Super Bowl, more than profit from any tourist benefit.

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

I wouldn't mind if there's not a Super Bowl in Kansas City. I wouldn't mind if they do have one there, I think that would be awesome. But one thing I want more than anything is to see a Lombardi Trophy in the halls of Arrowhead Stadium because we WON a Super Bowl.

Resident Celebrity

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post
    I would be soooooo upset & mad if they changed the name of Arrowhead, and Lamar (RIP) would be too! I could be wrong, but I don't think the Hunt family will ever sell the rights & sell out Arrowheads historic name. We're blessed as fans, in that the owners of our Chiefs are a family of sentiment, honor & principle, not always about the money, or money only. The Hunt family loves our Chiefs and Arrowhead as much as we do. It is obvious without doubt, when one visits the new Arrowhead and see's to what extreme effort the Hunt family went to incorporating the history of their Chiefs, & the NFL into Arrowheads renovation.
    I remember reading something a while back that the naming rights to Arrowhead were up for sale around 30 million or so I think it was. Clark Hunt did say though that "Arrowhead" would still remain in the name if sold.

Resident Celebrity

Quote Originally Posted by stricken721 View Post
    I remember reading something a while back that the naming rights to Arrowhead were up for sale around 30 million or so I think it was. Clark Hunt did say though that "Arrowhead" would still remain in the name if sold.
    Yeah, I think that was related to generating income for the renovation, or to recover if fans support continued to drop as it did last season. Still, as assumed...the Hunt family would retain "Arrowhead" in the name, regardless, which is what I want!! It's all about what 'I' want!! hahahaha

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123