Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big name for chargers may be out for our monday night season opener

Default Big name for chargers may be out for our monday night season opener

From ESPN's AFC West blogger Bill Williamson's blog:

"David from Hollywood, Fla., wants to know if there is any word about a possible suspension for San Diego star receiver Vincent Jackson stemming from his pleading guilty to a DUI, his second guilty plea to a DUI in four years, this offseason.

Bill Williamson: I expect Jackson to get suspended. I’d expect it to be announced at any time. There is no rush, but I think both Jackson and the Chargers are expecting him to be punished. If I had to guess, I’d say he is probably going to get a four-game suspension to start the season. The Chargers will miss him. Jackson is a dynamic part of San Diego’s offense."

This could be huge for us if he's out for our season/home opener on MNF. This is why Pioli and Haley look for guys in the draft and FA with "good character". Not saying we will be guaranteed to win this game now but missing a huge weapon for off-the-field issue absolutely KILLS a team. The Chargers are still probably more talented than us even without VJ but Rivers missing his favorite target and a pumped up crowd in our newly renovated stadium on Monday night...I can see us snagging a win here.

good character people also get DUI's and speeding tickets and worse. some of the best character people I know, have made a mistake they regreted.

Being a good character guy does not prevent ignorance. Everyone will slip up at some point. However, a good character person, usually won't do it twice.

with or without VJ I cannot wait to see our new, revamped secondary against the Chargers offense.

Quote Originally Posted by cjsfw2 View Post
    From ESPN's AFC West blogger Bill Williamson's blog:

"David from Hollywood, Fla., wants to know if there is any word about a possible suspension for San Diego star receiver Vincent Jackson stemming from his pleading guilty to a DUI, his second guilty plea to a DUI in four years, this offseason.

Bill Williamson: I expect Jackson to get suspended. I’d expect it to be announced at any time. There is no rush, but I think both Jackson and the Chargers are expecting him to be punished. If I had to guess, I’d say he is probably going to get a four-game suspension to start the season. The Chargers will miss him. Jackson is a dynamic part of San Diego’s offense."

This could be huge for us if he's out for our season/home opener on MNF. This is why Pioli and Haley look for guys in the draft and FA with "good character". Not saying we will be guaranteed to win this game now but missing a huge weapon for off-the-field issue absolutely KILLS a team. The Chargers are still probably more talented than us even without VJ but Rivers missing his favorite target and a pumped up crowd in our newly renovated stadium on Monday night...I can see us snagging a win here.
    itdoesn't matter if he plays or not. he does not stand a chance against our secondary

Quote Originally Posted by slc chief View Post
    itdoesn't matter if he plays or not. he does not stand a chance against our secondary
    Our NEW secondary.
    :)

And I have to agree that a DUI doesn't constitute being a bad person. I have never had one, but there are so many cities in the country that the ONLY way to the bar is your car. The bar has a parking lot. Shouldn't that be illegal? A parking lot at a bar? What does that encourage? And though I haven't been caught, how many times have I/we driven after one too many when we shouldn't have and just not got caught? Unless you live in NYC, Boston, Chicago, D.C, etc. and there is 24 hour public transit available, you are forced to drink and drive. Its a trap!
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piVnArp9ZE0&feature=related"]YouTube- ITS A TRAP![/ame]
    Last edited by KCINNYC; 06-02-2010 at 09:06 PM.
    Resident Ambassador!

One of my best friends was killed by a drunk driver. I think too many people take drinking and driving too lightly. I have pulled many bodies out of many cars due to drunk drivers. UNfortunately its rarely the drunk who gets hurts, its the other people. So I will politely disagree with you about how I feel about drunk drivers. Im sure they mean no harm but that is no excuse.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Well, there's a difference between driving drunk and getting a DUI.

For Vincent Jackson, a 6'5 225 pound man in peak physical condition, to be over the legal limit...my guess is it took more than 2 coors lights.

I think there's been some good points here...clearly good character people can have things like DUI's happen to them. And yes, any form of drinking and driving should be considered very serious.

These players make enough to hire a cab for a ride or have friends that can be a DD for them...like every member of our society is expected to. Just like each of us, they should be smart enough to know when they've had too much. In any profession - doctor, lawyer, etc. - a DUI can devistate your reputation/career...and football shouldn't be any different. Case in point, Jared Allen...great player, good guy, but when your risking missing a whole season because you can't control your drinking and partying, you are hurting your entire team, period. More power to him that he's seemed to fix that problem in his life and is doing great for the Vikes.

If my post came across that I was pro drinking and driving...I apologize. Living in New York, your bar is walking distance from your front door. I was just saying that in most places across the US, bars encourage it, because that is the only way to their establishent. But I HATE drinking and driving and go out of my way to avoid it.
    Resident Ambassador!

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    One of my best friends was killed by a drunk driver. I think too many people take drinking and driving too lightly. I have pulled many bodies out of many cars due to drunk drivers. UNfortunately its rarely the drunk who gets hurts, its the other people. So I will politely disagree with you about how I feel about drunk drivers. Im sure they mean no harm but that is no excuse.
    ...THIS! 100%

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast