Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What we should do before the beginning of the 2009 season?

Default What we should do before the beginning of the 2009 season?

Well, it's post-draft. While we could all argue for the next few years whether the Chiefs draft was bad or good (and I thought it was great), I think everyone agree we have work still to do to present a competitive team on the field in 2009. Here are my suggestions:

1. Trade our 2nd rounder to the Cards for Anquan Boldin.

The Boldin/Haley spat last season has been massively overrported. Boldin has already said that he would play for Haley again. Trade our second rounder and immediately upgrade our WR spot. Bowe/Boldin/Bradley/Engram would be the best WR corps in the AFC West. And it would be fairly young. This seems like a no-brainer.

BTW, I said our 2nd rounder, not the 2nd rounder for TG, because that it the pick I think Arizona would want.

2. Sign Travis LaBoy to a two-year $3M contract.

A no-brainer. He would be a cheap reserve at OLB (in the 3-4) and DE (in the 4-3). He's familiar with the 3-4. He averages 13 games a season, which isn't great, but he isn't as fragile as people think either.

3. Sign Larry Foote to a two-year $8M contract.

Another no-brainer. He would be starting for us from Game 1 at ILB. Foote is a fantastic ILB who's started for two SB Pittsburgh teams. He hasn't missed a game since his rookie year.

This would give us a LB corps of DJ/Foote/Thomas/Vrabel. Beisel and Laboy would be our main reserves. Hali would be our project at the position. Our LB corps, which was so putrid in 2008, would actually be the strength of the defense.

4. Sign Mark Tauscher or Levi Jones to a one-year contract

Both are coming off injuries. Both are also better than any player we currently have at RT. A one-year contract will be insurance if they get injured again. It will also give the Chiefs time to bring Richardson and/or Brown along.

5. Entertain trade offers for Thigpen and Hali

I like Thigpen. I don't think any player in the NFL could have done much better than he did last season given our OL. He is a good backup. But as we get closer to the beginning of the season, teams like Seattle, Carolina, Tennesse, and Jacksonville with old starting QBs, no legitimate backups, and playoff aspirations might look at Thigpen as an excellent insurance policy. If we get offered a 3rd rounder or above, it might be in our best interest to take it.

As for Hali, he no longer fits our defense. He's a project to be a 3-4 OLB, and he won't even start at DE if we're in a 4-3. If we can get any value for him, let's do so.

6. Get our picks signed and in camp on time

I don't think anyone disagrees.

7. Don't trade LJ or Dorsey

Not only for the cap hit, but because their changed circumstances (LJ's no longer guarenteed and Dorsey's moving to DE) gives them more value than we'd ever get back in a trade.

8. Sign Cassel to a long term contract.

Just do it. Having your potential QBOTF spend a whole year auditioning is only going to lead to holdouts and hurt feelings. We don't need a Cutler situation here.

9. Don't sign Jason Taylor.

Not because he's too old, but because I don't see him having a great place in our defense, and because he doesn't play well in the cold.

Well, those are nine things I think could help the Chiefs in 2009 and beyond. The signings I listed (LaBoy, Foote, and a RT) would total about $9M, Boldin would be about $9M, so we would still have tons of cap room to sign our rookies, even before signing Cassel long term.

Feel free to agree/disagree, or to add your own.

The only suggestion I have is to get another soild OL in there.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

The bottom line is that there is money and we definitely have needs at multiple positions...RT, WR and DL included. What they are waiting for, I have no clue.

Quote Originally Posted by honda522 View Post
    The only suggestion I have is to get another soild OL in there.
    yes. we still need some starting OL material....and you could throw in LB while your at it...then we should be ok....Bowe + Engram will be the key...and if our TE, Brad Cottam doesnt blow it (like i always said he would...i never liked that pick..) then we will have a good offense... Bowe really needs to step it up though, and emerge as a prime time go to receiver, and take over Tony G's role as the outlet for the QB...Him and Engram will hopefully really open up the offense...

I like the Terrence Copper pick up too, he gives us a blazing fast target down the field on 4 wideout sets...

Quote Originally Posted by KottkeKU View Post
    yes. we still need some starting OL material....and you could throw in LB while your at it...then we should be ok....Bowe + Engram will be the key...and if our TE, Brad Cottam doesnt blow it (like i always said he would...i never liked that pick..) then we will have a good offense... Bowe really needs to step it up though, and emerge as a prime time go to receiver, and take over Tony G's role as the outlet for the QB...Him and Engram will hopefully really open up the offense...

I like the Terrence Copper pick up too, he gives us a blazing fast target down the field on 4 wideout sets...
    I never liked the Cottam pick either. One, we didn't need a TE in the 3rd round nearly as badly as we needed OL or LB last year. Second, he's a decent blocker and a decent receiver - but he excels at neither.

My gut says we go with Ryan as our blocker and O'Connell as our receiver. Cottam is reserve/special teams.

Yeah, Copper was a great pickup. He'll be a special teams ace and a burner on those 4WR sets.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    I never liked the Cottam pick either. One, we didn't need a TE in the 3rd round nearly as badly as we needed OL or LB last year. Second, he's a decent blocker and a decent receiver - but he excels at neither.
    (you know this how?)
    My gut says we go with Ryan as our blocker and O'Connell as our receiver. Cottam is reserve/special teams.

Yeah, Copper was a great pickup. He'll be a special teams ace and a burner on those 4WR sets.
    Cottam maybe just what we need.

I agree with most of it, but strongly disagree about locking up Cassel already. I think it's going to happen, but I'm pretty unhappy about it. He is a risk, and if we end up giving him 30+ million guaranteed we could be set back for a long time if he doesn't pan out.

Can he thrive without the best slot receiver in the league? Without an offense that was the best in NFL history the season before he came along? Why not wait and find out before we make a long time decision? I don't worry about a Cutler situation because: a.) Cassel isn't thin-skinned like Cutler, and b.) His agent isn't Bus Cook.

That said, I also don't trade Thigpen because quite frankly if Cassel turns out to be a system QB who fails outside of New England we need an insurance policy. We at least know what we have with Thigpen: a young, inconsistent QB who has shown he can move the ball down the field and be productive in the right system.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post

whoa, whoa, whoa........what?

Cottam is 6'8" 270 lbs, runs a 4.65 40 and would have been a sure 1st or 2nd round pick last season if he stayed healthy in college. O'Connell is a 7th round rookie and Ryan is a guy who has played on 6 teams in 6 years for a reason (he's not very good).

I get that you don't like Herm Edwards players lamerson, but Pioli would not have traded the best TE in NFL history if he didn't have any confidence in the guy that was drafted to be his successor. How many tight ends in the league have Cottam's size and speed, but also have good hands and blocking ability? Guy has a big ceiling, just needs to stay healthy. He was barely used last year.

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    I agree with most of it, but strongly disagree about locking up Cassel already. I think it's going to happen, but I'm pretty unhappy about it. He is a risk, and if we end up giving him 30+ million guaranteed we could be set back for a long time if he doesn't pan out.

Can he thrive without the best slot receiver in the league? Without an offense that was the best in NFL history the season before he came along? Why not wait and find out before we make a long time decision? I don't worry about a Cutler situation because: a.) Cassel isn't thin-skinned like Cutler, and b.) His agent isn't Bus Cook.

That said, I also don't trade Thigpen because quite frankly if Cassel turns out to be a system QB who fails outside of New England we need an insurance policy. We at least know what we have with Thigpen: a young, inconsistent QB who has shown he can move the ball down the field and be productive in the right system.
    I agree keep Thiggy

What we should do before the beginning of the 2009 season?
    ...Poison all visiting opponents???

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast