Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Chiefs wave Stanford Routt

Default Chiefs wave Stanford Routt

He sucked this year, but shocked they cut him:

From Sam Mellinger:

"#Chiefs waived Stanford Routt to make room for Shaun Smith, Romeo references "relationship" w/ Routt not progressing. Interesting."

Source: https://twitter.com/mellinger/status/265537308680409088

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    To Seek and MyManHali,

I offer another alternative that may be worthy of consideration & admittedly this is a copy and paste job from a post I made in another thread, but here it is nonetheless:

"The only other alternative that I can think of is maybe working a reasonable trade with Washington for Kirk Cousins. You may be possibly getting a Trent Green type of player in Cousins. It's no bigger of a risk than drafting a QB. They could keep their 1st round choice & perhaps trade down a few slots and take Te'o the LB from ND, who can play in a 3-4 or 4-3. Perhaps this is the route that they should go."

What are thoughts on this?
    I was a little upset that Cousins went to the Redskins with the fourth round and the Chiefs passed on him taking two positions that I would rather have gone with our first instead of POE DUNK...

That being said, he has played this year and his stats are something I would not bank on as being a franchise player. Granted he is just a rookie but did throw a TD and two picks but it looks like he will have to be a Trent Green type of guy who works his butt off in a system with talent around him to perform. Not something I am currently seeing with the Chiefs coaching staff.

I wouldn't mind trading for him, but we will still need to draft someone else too. I am not sold on Barkley or Geno at this time given what they have done in adversity, and I am sure there are others who will jump up after the combine, but no one is currently projected to be a franchise stud and that bothers me since there are so many demanding we have to Draft QB with the First. I think it would be foolish to draft QB just because we have to. If that QB is a truly a franchise player which I am not a professional to say he is or is not then okay.

I do think that Washington will request more than a 4th for Cousins, which is what they gave up for him. Maybe they will take Cassel as a back up.

Quote Originally Posted by nigeriannightmare View Post
    I think he's saying, like most say, none of the qbs coming out this year are sure fire franchise qbs. We missed the boat last year and the year before. I think there are higher rated prospects in 2014.

Barkley can be a good qb in this league, I have watched every USC game this year, I also think Geno can be as well. When you have a top pick in the draft, its time to pull the f'ing trigger.

To Seek and MyManHali,

I offer another alternative that may be worthy of consideration & admittedly this is a copy and paste job from a post I made in another thread, but here it is nonetheless:

"The only other alternative that I can think of is maybe working a reasonable trade with Washington for Kirk Cousins. You may be possibly getting a Trent Green type of player in Cousins. It's no bigger of a risk than drafting a QB. They could keep their 1st round choice & perhaps trade down a few slots and take Te'o the LB from ND, who can play in a 3-4 or 4-3. Perhaps this is the route that they should go."

What are thoughts on this?

I want the best QB available and if we are in right position to take Barkley, then we take him. If we are in the 5-6th position, then maybe. I have never seen Cousins play, if he is worth it then fine, but from what I have seen I would probably rather trade for someone like TJ Yates.
    Last edited by MyManHali; 11-07-2012 at 03:10 PM.

Good points, Seek.

Yes, it was a mistake to pass on DeCastro and take a project like Poe who did not produce at Division I AA. I'll never understand all this sentiment towards Lilja whose been a stop-gap measure right from the get-go and has been mediocre at best.

Taking DeCastro would have allowed to explore other areas with their 2 - 7 round choices. The Chiefs brass knew that DeCastro was the fan favorite & knew he filled a HUGE need that still exists as the middle of the Chiefs O-Line has been continually getting ran over all year long here in 2012 & Jeff Allen has struggled making the transition from Tackle in college to Guard in the NFL -- which leads one to ask, why don't the Chiefs brass employ some conventional wisdom and draft a Tackle to PLAY Tackle and a Guard to PLAY Guard instead of what they've done with Albert and Allen. Common sense, I would think.

The bottom line is Pioli's stupid draft day decisions & other player personnel blunders have put the Chiefs into major hole & some Chiefs fans want them to retain this loser of a GM?

Whatever happens, a quality QB must come from somewhere, and with the points you've made, it leads to the question: where's he going to come from going into 2013? It's a pretty big rut, as it stands right now.

Quote Originally Posted by MyManHali View Post
    I want the best QB available and if we are in right position to take Barkley, then we take him. If we are in the 5-6th position, then maybe. I have never seen Cousins play, if he is worth it then fine, but from what I have seen I would probably rather trade for someone like TJ Yates.
    You are correct, if they are in a position to take Barkley, he is the most NFL-ready and I don't see much alternative but to give him a chance. Barkley could very well also fit the Trent Green type of QB and that's not such a bad thing.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 11-07-2012 at 03:16 PM.

2) Horrible pass protection. Don't let any stat sheets fool you. Opposing defenders are getting too much pressure on Chiefs QB's on a continued basis.
    I'm going to disagree slightly as far as the line. I personally think the line has held up well, aside from Jeff Allen. A big part of the problem is that once Cassel's first read is gone, he's a sitting duck because he sucks at progressing through his reads.

Aside from the fact that every single one of the Chiefs linemen (except Jeff Allen) has an above average pass block rating per ProFootballFocus when compared w/ the rest of the league, here's some other interesting facts I found in their advanced stats section that can also point to the problem of "protection":

Matt Cassel takes on average 2.65 seconds before he attempts a pass. This is 7th worst among quarterbacks. Furthermore, it takes around 3.81 seconds on average until Cassel is sacked. This is 7th best in the league, meaning the line holds up pretty well.

Good quarterbacks quickly progress through their reads and get the ball out. Guys like Brady and Manning are among the top 5 in the league take only 2.4 seconds on average to get the ball out. Manning's sacks take on average only 2.5 seconds to occur...Brady's 3.26.

Compared to the rest of the league, the line has held up well and is often exposed b/c of Cassel's inability to progress through reads and get the ball out quickly. Another hint at Cassel's inability to get through his 2nd and 3rd reads is how often he just tucks and runs. This happens a lot.
    Last edited by Ryfo18; 11-07-2012 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    I'm going to disagree slightly as far as the line. I personally think the line has held up well, aside from Jeff Allen. A big part of the problem is that once Cassel's first read is gone, he's a sitting duck because he sucks at progressing through his reads.

Aside from the fact that every single one of the Chiefs linemen (except Jeff Allen) has an above average pass block rating per ProFootballFocus when compared w/ the rest of the league, here's some other interesting facts I found in their advanced stats section that can also point to the problem of "protection":

Matt Cassel takes on average 2.65 seconds before he attempts a pass. This is 7th worst among quarterbacks. Furthermore, it takes around 3.81 seconds on average until Cassel is sacked. This is 7th best in the league, meaning the line holds up pretty well.

Good quarterbacks quickly progress through their reads and get the ball out. Guys like Brady and Manning are among the top 5 in the league take only 2.4 seconds on average to get the ball out. Manning's sacks take on average only 2.5 seconds to occur...Brady's 3.26.

Compared to the rest of the league, the line has held up well and is often exposed b/c of Cassel's inability to progress through reads and get the ball out quickly.
    Who's kidding who? The same thing happened with Quinn in TB and would happen with any other QB. Don't feed me stat sheet numbers. I could scratch out numbers in the dirt with a stick that are as meaningful as those. The overhead camera doesn't lie -- throughout most of this season, opposing defenders have spent more time in the Chiefs backfield than the Chiefs backs have.

If you want to blame Cassel and use him as a scapegoat & be content with mediocre O-Line play, then you go right ahead, but you know better by now than to even consider counting me in on that.

Go watch that video again of Trent Green that I posted in one of your threads & try telling me that you can't see a major difference in the pass-protection that Green received as compared to what Chiefs QB's are getting in 2012 -- it's not even remotely close. Seldom has Cassel or Quinn had time to throw the ball down the field.

Who's kidding who? The same thing happened with Quinn in TB and would happen with any other QB. Don't feed me stat sheet numbers. I could scratch out numbers in the dirt with a stick that are as meaningful as those. The overhead camera doesn't lie -- throughout most of this season, opposing defenders have spent more time in the Chiefs backfield than the Chiefs backs have.

If you want to blame Cassel and use him as a scapegoat & be content with mediocre O-Line play, then you go right ahead, but you know better by now than to even consider counting me in on that.

Go watch that video again of Trent Green that I posted in one of your threads & try telling me that you can't see a major difference in the pass-protection that Green received as compared to what Chiefs QB's are getting in 2012 -- it's not even remotely close. Seldom has Cassel or Quinn had time to throw the ball down the field.
    I just watched the TB film again on Game Rewind and I'm not sure we're talking about the same game. For the most part Quinn had a very clean pocket to throw from all game. I don't even recall a play where he took a hit.

Can you point me to a specific play that game where the pass protection really broke down (Quarter and time on the clock)? Aside from a couple of well designed blitzes where they brought 6 or 7 guys, there wasn't a lot of heat on Quinn. The Bucs didn't have a sack that game. Not saying you're wrong, I could have missed something.

I just don't get the "stats are for losers" attitude. I mean, it's not that hard to draw a conclusion from the fact that when Cassel is sacked, it takes a long time (3.81 seconds on average). That tells me the protection holds up pretty well compared to the rest of the league. It's not that I don't trust your eye either, but the guys compiling these stats are doing it for every team in the league, not just the Chiefs.

I debated (I think with you) a couple of years back that Albert was developing into a very good left tackle. Now he's one of the best in the league. These linemen need time together as a unit to continue to develop. We can't just keep drafting linemen in the 2nd/3rd round and hope we can just plug them in there and have a brick wall.
    Last edited by Ryfo18; 11-07-2012 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    I just watched the TB film again on Game Rewind and I'm not sure we're talking about the same game. For the most part Quinn had a very clean pocket to throw from all game. I don't even recall a play where he took a hit.

Can you point me to a specific play that game where the pass protection really broke down (Quarter and time on the clock)? Aside from a couple of well designed blitzes where they brought 6 or 7 guys, there wasn't a lot of heat on Quinn. The Bucs didn't have a sack that game.
    He was throwing mainly short passes throughout the game and seldom held the ball long enough for downfield plays to develop. They would have sacked him multiple times if he had. Don't try and tell me that constitutes good O-Line play. Often times he had to get rid of the ball quickly & was under constant pressure. He simply did not take sacks. And what about the running game in the TB game? It was non-existent.

Go watch the game TB played the next week against NO and try telling me that there wasn't a distinct difference between the protection that Drew Brees received versus what Quinn had received the week before. It's not even close.

Worthlessburger takes about the longest time in the league to throw a pass, but he has receivers that keep playing instead of running the route and then stopping and putting their hands on their hips while watching Cassel get creamed. Our O line is pretty good. I honestly no longer am sure what the biggest problem on offense is, but I know what it isn't: our O line. I think it is still a case of horrible coaching and play-calling. But, even though I think Cassel can be a solid QB, he clearly isn't a good leader. If he had a good rapport with his receivers, he could direct his receivers better and get plays done. I think we missed a huge opportunity not picking up Kellen Moore for the league minimum when he wasn't drafted. He is only the winningest QB in NCAA history, including 12 victories over top 10 teams over his 4 years. Instead, he went to Detroit where he'll never be able to show how good he can be in the NFL. BTW, if Barkley is the best QB in the draft, we better hope Pioli/Hunt pony up for a proven starter at QB. Because Barkley wouldn't have even been drafted last year. This is going to be a backup QB draft.

He was throwing mainly short passes throughout the game and seldom held the ball long enough for downfield plays to develop. They would have sacked him multiple times if he had. Don't try and tell me that constitutes good O-Line play. Often times he had to get rid of the ball quickly & was under constant pressure. He simply did not take sacks. And what about the running game in the TB game? It was non-existent.

Go watch the game TB played the next week against NO and try telling me that there wasn't a distinct difference between the protection that Drew Brees received versus what Quinn had received the week before. It's not even close.
    Few things:

1.) Watched the first quarter of the TB vs NO game (don't have time to review it all). The Bucs routinely just rushed 4. Yes, NO's pass rush held up well against a 4-man rush. Just twice on his 10 first quarter throws did they bring extra pressure, and that was in the form of one extra rusher. So a 5-man rush. Not that tough to defend.

In the KC vs TB game, they routinely brought 5, and a lot of times they brought 6 or 7. Defenses respect Brees in that they know they have to drop 7 into coverage. The same cannot be said for Brady Quinn.

2.) The playcalling by the Chiefs should not lead to irrational blame being placed on the line. They still held up well, and times when the Bucs brought 4 or more, I was able to count to 3 before the ball came out (and still no rusher near). The 18-yard completion to Moeaki w/ 12:20 in the 3rd is a good example, as well as the the 19-yard completion to Maneri at 11:10 (same drive).

3.) The Bucs are the league's best when it comes to stopping the run. They allow a 85 per game (6th best) and a league low 3.5 ypc. Add in the fact that you have noodle armed Brady Quinn under center, they stacked the box routinely. They're obviously tough to beat on the ground.

Overall, I think you're exaggerating the O-line being an issue.
    Last edited by Ryfo18; 11-07-2012 at 05:25 PM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast