Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: TE John Carlson

Cool TE John Carlson

TE John Carlson has a visit set with the Chiefs - tweeted by NFL Insider Jason La Confora.

Had great numbers his first two seasons before numbers dropped off in 2010 and then missed all of 2011 due to shoulder surgery

'08: 55 REC, 627 YDS, 5 TD
    '09: 51 REC, 574 YDS, 7 TD
    '10: 31 REC, 318 YDS, 1 TD

Would be great 2nd option at TE to run two TE sets and team wouldn't miss a beat in case of another Moeaki injury.

Just read this on KCChiefs.com: Carlson also played for Chiefs tight ends coach Bernie Parmalee at Notre Dame

So much for Carlson... "Seattle tight end John Carlson decided to cut his trip to Kansas City short and head to Minnesota. He will likely sign with the Vikings on the trip."

John Carlson leaves K.C. for Minnesota - AFC West Blog - ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by My Man Orton View Post
    IF you had read my post above I stated there is certain risk involved in signing peyton manning. BUT THE REWARD FAR OUTWEIGHS THE RISK. Carlson is no manning so dont even try to compare the two. His production did decrease.

in 08 55 rec 621 yards

09 51 rec 574 yards

10 31 rec 318 yards

Do you see? So you want to bring in a guy who is questionable to be healthy and missed the entire 2011 season to add depth to moaeki who also missed all of the 2011 season.

Yes, your logic makes tons of sense
    There is no point in continuing this discussion, because he is going to the Vikings, but he has been more productive with each catch every year. He has just been getting thrown to less. But I'm repeating myself. I already made that point and you couldn't grasp it.

Regarding his risk factor:

Quote Originally Posted by Jrudi View Post
    He's a low risk, because if you read my previous post, he will more than likely come at a discounted price because he missed last season.

The idea of a "low risk, high reward" signing is not referring to his injury, it is a business phrase that goes along with the idea that we won't have to pay him a large contract to bring him in (We're not out a lot of money if it doesn't work out) but He has the potential and has shown that he could be a reliable starter in the league (so high reward, meaning he could easily outplay the contract we will give him)

Low risk (not a lot of money)- High Reward (potential to give you more than you paid for him)

Do I need to spell it out any more for ya?
    Again, already addressed ... Not sinking in.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Moot point now, Schefter just tweeted this... "Vikings reached agreement with former Seahawks tight end John Carslon on a five-year, $25 million deal."

Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post
    Moot point now, Schefter just tweeted this... "Vikings reached agreement with former Seahawks tight end John Carslon on a five-year, $25 million deal."
    Well, at that price, I think the risk would have been a bit too high to justify the potential reward.

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    Well, at that price, I think the risk would have been a bit too high to justify the potential reward.
    My guess is his agent heard the amount and told him to get his butt up to Minnesota before they realized what they were doing. Hence the shortened visit to KC.

My guess is his agent heard the amount and told him to get his butt up to Minnesota before they realized what they were doing. Hence the shortened visit to KC.
    No wonder he cut his visit with us short!

"They want to pay me HOW MUCH?!"

The guy is from Minnesota and he was offered more than we would have offered him. He never made it to the meeting.

John Carlson Made It To KC, But Never Visited Chiefs - Arrowhead Pride

Quote Originally Posted by My Man Orton View Post
    So he wasn't low risk after all, right? If you had your way we would of paid him some serious cash for a player that didnt play at all last year. Where is your low risk high reward opinion now? And you call me irrational. Some analysts I have heard on this guy over the past couple of days doubt he can ever live up to his potential since his serious injury. If he was our answer at the tight end position and got hurt again we are screwed, we are back to square one. You bring in a guy that missed all of last year you technically dont know what you are getting. All I was saying is that why dont we just get someone in there that is reliable, there are options this year
    Wow! As Jrudi pointed out (and I repeated) he would have been worth signing if we signed him for what he was worth. That sounds like I'm being redundant because it is so painfully obvious! The Vikings ridiculously overpaid for him. And he knows it. That's why he never even made it to his meeting with the Chiefs. He knew there was no way any other team would be that stupid! And WalterFootball.com says it's one of the worst FA signings so far this season.

Vikings sign TE John Carlson (5 years, $25M; $11M guaranteed): F Grade
    The Vikings are apparently trying to recreate New England's two-tight end offense. The problem is that one of their tight ends suck. And it's the guy they just gave $25 million to.

Talk about overpaying. Carlson is both mediocre (at best) and injury-prone. In what bizarro universe is he worth $25 million, with $11 million of it guaranteed? An even more important question: Did Matt Millen and his LSD-laced kielbasas have a hand in this transaction as well? (source)
    There was no way Pioli was going to pay anything close to that because he's smart. But we obviously had interest in the guy if we could get him cheap, because we invited him in to meet with us.

You really don't understand cost vs. value and risk/reward? Really!?

I said I was no longer going to respond to your posts because it doesn't do any good. But when you post stuff like this I just can't help myself and I keep holding out a faint glimmer of hope that maybe you will understand.

It's just in my nature to try to help people.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234