Thread: Branden Albert - Getting Better with Age

Default Branden Albert - Getting Better with Age

I was encouraged when looking at ProFootballFocus's grades for left tackles at Branden Albert's progress this season.

Through 4 games:

2 Sacks allowed
    2 QB "Pressures" - Ranks him 3rd among all starting LT's. For some context, D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Jake Long have both allowed 2 pressures and 3 and 4 sacks, respectively.
    0 QB Hits

Obviously, hits don't include sacks allowed.

Nevertheless, it's tough to grade a LT unless you're watching every play to see how he's doing. I do understand that the Chiefs don't throw nearly as much as other teams, so the stats might look slightly better than they are. Still, this is encouraging. Overall, taking into account run and pass blocking, Profootballfocus has him ranked as the 6th best LT through 4 games.

Last year he finished the season as the 19th best LT, giving up 10 sacks, 7 other QB hits, and 23 pressures.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    I was encouraged when looking at ProFootballFocus's grades for left tackles at Branden Albert's progress this season.

Through 4 games:

2 Sacks allowed
    2 QB "Pressures" - Ranks him 3rd among all starting LT's. For some context, D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Jake Long have both allowed 2 pressures and 3 and 4 sacks, respectively.
    0 QB Hits

Obviously, hits don't include sacks allowed.

Nevertheless, it's tough to grade a LT unless you're watching every play to see how he's doing. I do understand that the Chiefs don't throw nearly as much as other teams, so the stats might look slightly better than they are. Still, this is encouraging. Overall, taking into account run and pass blocking, Profootballfocus has him ranked as the 6th best LT through 4 games.

Last year he finished the season as the 19th best LT, giving up 10 sacks, 7 other QB hits, and 23 pressures.
    Wait, you mean players get better once they're drafted and have a few years experience? You've got to be lying or something. Replace Albert immediately I say! ;)

With that said, props to Albert for putting in the effort and proving all the nay sayers wrong. If every other Chiefs player I've dogged and called for their head proves me I'll happily head humble pie. Disclaimer: that's only Chiefs players...no former players allowed!

I am not impressed.

8 sacks allowed, for a team that has been passing so infrequently just doesn't scream out success.

Not to mention, the vast majority of our passing attempts have been on quick-hitting short passes.

I still hope for him to become a good LOT. But he is going to have to show me that he can protect a QB when we are passing the ball downfield on a regular basis.

But I don't pinpoint him as the source for our bad pass protection. It has been coming from all over, and may still improve, everywhere, as these guys learn when each other is going to pass a defender off to one another.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    I am not impressed.

8 sacks allowed, for a team that has been passing so infrequently just doesn't scream out success.

Not to mention, the vast majority of our passing attempts have been on quick-hitting short passes.

I still hope for him to become a good LOT. But he is going to have to show me that he can protect a QB when we are passing the ball downfield on a regular basis.

But I don't pinpoint him as the source for our bad pass protection. It has been coming from all over, and may still improve, everywhere, as these guys learn when each other is going to pass a defender off to one another.
    Completely agree I'm not impressed either. I still think Branden Albert is just a decent LT but would make a great LG.

Any chance you can provide a link? Specifically I am interested in where Jared Veldheer ranks. He has not given up a sack this year and our QB has only been pressured 10 times total.
    Last edited by otf; 10-04-2011 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by otf View Post
    Any chance you can provide a link? Specifically I am interested in where Jared Veldheer ranks. He has not given up a sack this year and our QB has only been pressured 10 times total.
    I tried to go look. But the stats from that site are a paid service.

Quote Originally Posted by otf View Post
    As chief31 pointed out, it's a paid service ($30 a year), but well worth it for me.

Veldheer is the 4th best LT overall, but only the 15th best in pass pro...According to this, he's given up 2 QB hits and 9 pressures, but no sacks like you said.

Overall for the Chiefs: 4 sacks attributed to the OL, 4 sacks attributed to Cassel/WRs. 26 pressures and 5 hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    As chief31 pointed out, it's a paid service ($30 a year), but well worth it for me.

Veldheer is the 4th best LT overall, but only the 15th best in pass pro...According to this, he's given up 2 QB hits and 9 pressures, but no sacks like you said.

Overall for the Chiefs: 4 sacks attributed to the OL, 4 sacks attributed to Cassel/WRs. 26 pressures and 5 hits.
    Thanks!