Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Elway's a fool for signing some FA's he has...

Default Elway's a fool for signing some FA's he has...

Yep, that's right. I think Elway's a fool for signing Ware and Talib in particular. I'm not alone, several pro analyst articles I've read have more or less said the same...the signings were "risky".

I don't know why some Chiefs fans are worried and think the donkey signings were so great. Below is a quote from one pro analyst:

"Ware was just released by the Dallas Cowboys Tuesday afternoon at the official start of the NFL free-agent period: the team didn't want to carry his $16 million salary cap figure for the 2014 season. Ware turns 32 before the start of the season, was hampered by quad injuries and finished with a career low six sacks in a career low 13 games."

I don't know why some think the signing of Talib was all that great, either. The quote below is from another NFL pro analyst giving thoughts on the donkey's latest signings:

"Talib is a risk, too. He's had hip injuries and also incurred some off field issues, which ran him out of Tampa Bay just a few years ago. Plus, last we saw of him he was being taken out in the playoff game by the Bronco' Wes Welker on a play Bill Belichick called one of the dirtiest he had ever seen. Clearly, Talib has forgotten, or was charmed by dollar signs, whatever."

The donkey's signed two injury prone aging players. One of which has had off field issues, too, and another coming off his worst career year ever, and they spent $87 million to sign those two "risky" players. I don't call that making "great" moves on Elway's part, rather, call it foolish.

Elway's ego has more to do with who he's signing than any other factor. He's trying to make a media splash because his ego LOVES the attention, but he's also trying to redeem himself & the franchise after their pathetic humiliating Super Bowl loss. He's really not that smart of a GM.

He's been signing aging injury prone players, including Manning, at the end of their careers chasing one Super Bowl win, that's it. He's trying to build a one year SB winning team. He's not preparing for the future, nor for a team that can compete consistently for consecutive seasons. Hey, maybe it's worth it to some, but I'd rather have a wise GM like Dorsey, who builds more through the draft, homegrown young and healthy players who can compete for years to come, and win consistently and for more than one season. I want a Dorsey & Reid dynasty, like Green Bay & the Pats built...not a one year contender.

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Additionally...Manning isn't all *that* great of a threat either. His pitiful performance in Super Bowl exposed his weaknesses when playing against a true Super Bowl worthy caliber team...Seattle. The donkey's weren't a Super Bowl caliber team, had they been, they wouldn't have lost as pathetically as they did. They had a 2013 season of which many opponents had mediocre or bad defenses. They also had refs at times appear to protect Manning by allowing his O-Line to choke hold opposing defenses without being flagged for it.

Whether those refs intentionally helped Manning or not, is questionable or debatable no doubt. He's the NFL's biggest money maker with endorsements, and he's the media's biggest money maker too, in that coverage of him draws high ratings/profits/sponsor dollars. If Manning was seriously hurt, couldn't play...money is lost on many levels of the NFL & it's partners. Most would protect their business investments, including human....IE: a billion dollar investment value NFL QB - Manning.

The officiating in the Super Bowl was fair, no protection for Manning like he'd had often in the regular season, and Manning was pressured unlike he'd been all season. As is his history, Manning chokes when under pressure, and he stayed true to that history playing in SB 2014. He's struggling with age, arthritic & troubled joints, including his knees & neck, and his throwing arm isn't what it once was. He has publicly admitted such.

The donkey's better hope Lady Luck and the refs are on their side again in 2014.

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Always good to see a Connie JO post

Ware doesn't scare me at all. I don't know if anyone paid attention but that Dallas D with him was HORRIBLE last year. And Ware was part of that. I think that pick up is overrated
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Great posts Connie Jo!!!! I hate how many players we have lost to free agency, but seeing the crazy money they are getting paid there is no doubt they had to go.

As to the donks....If I was an oddsmaker I'd have to make them the favorite to win the west. But I wouldn't make the odds TOO BIG....as you say, Elway is cobbling together a team of aging stars that is only an injury or two from becoming very mediocre very quickly! Perhaps more importantly, in the not to distant future donkeyland is going to find itself in very deep salary cap trouble....or maybe losing a few draft choices--AGAIN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post
    Elway's ego has more to do with who he's signing than any other factor. He's trying to make a media splash because his ego LOVES the attention, but he's also trying to redeem himself & the franchise after their pathetic humiliating Super Bowl loss. He's really not that smart of a GM.

He's been signing aging injury prone players, including Manning, at the end of their careers chasing one Super Bowl win, that's it. He's trying to build a one year SB winning team. He's not preparing for the future, nor for a team that can compete consistently for consecutive seasons. Hey, maybe it's worth it to some, but I'd rather have a wise GM like Dorsey, who builds more through the draft, homegrown young and healthy players who can compete for years to come, and win consistently and for more than one season. I want a Dorsey & Reid dynasty, like Green Bay & the Pats built...not a one year contender.
    That's it; Nail on the head, Connie Jo.

Know that some people have been disappointed with the lack of big name signings by KC in the past few days...But there is an additional thing I'd like to point out. Whether it works out for Denver or not, someone in Denver is going to be shilling out huge dollars over the Manning, Welker, Talib & Ware signings. And guess what...It's not John Elway. It's not even Pat Bowlen. It's the Bronco fanbase. They're going to see it in the prices of tickets, parking, concessions, merchandise, publicity events etc etc. That money comes from somewhere. Better them than us.

So given the current rules with rookie contracts, and the fact that a lot of the free agents were either a) going to re-sign with their team or b) not really game changing talent...I'm very okay with what Reid & Dorsey are doing.

OR

Elway is doing this because they have a team that made the NFL. And by saying the Broncos don't have a super caliber team, you just shot down the whole AFC (yes including the chiefs). They are in a win now mode. I get it, were chiefs fans and we're suppose to circle-jerk about how bad the donkeys are "see that super loss, hahaha so funny". At least they ****ing made the super bowl. I don't look at manning the same way a lot of you guys do, dude has 11 wins in the playoffs, how many do the chiefs have in the same span.......0, "but he sucks and he's the reason their team loses" oh okay but cassel was not the only problem when chiefs were bad

Like i said, it get it, some of you want this to be a circle-jerk about "this is the chiefs year, doresy and reid will lead us to the promise land, all the teams in the afc west are going to be terrible for years to come".

Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post
    OR

Elway is doing this because they have a team that made the NFL. And by saying the Broncos don't have a super caliber team, you just shot down the whole AFC (yes including the chiefs). They are in a win now mode. I get it, were chiefs fans and we're suppose to circle-jerk about how bad the donkeys are "see that super loss, hahaha so funny". At least they ****ing made the super bowl. I don't look at manning the same way a lot of you guys do, dude has 11 wins in the playoffs, how many do the chiefs have in the same span.......0, "but he sucks and he's the reason their team loses" oh okay but cassel was not the only problem when chiefs were bad

Like i said, it get it, some of you want this to be a circle-jerk about "this is the chiefs year, doresy and reid will lead us to the promise land, all the teams in the afc west are going to be terrible for years to come".
    In other words, you fantasize of Elway when you hump your neighbors dog.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    In other words, you fantasize of Elway when you hump your neighbors dog.

Man you got me. Glad you could counter my points.

OR

I don't think that anyone disagrees with the Denver is in win now mode. BUT that like I've said has never been a proven way to win. In fact it just leads to trouble. I go back to the uncapped year we had a few years ago. A lot of teams loaded up for that season. Who went to the superbow? Pittsburgh and Green Bay. Two teams who build there team through the draft and don't go out and spend a lot in free agency. What Denver is doing sounds great on paper but as we have seen over the years on paper doesn't mean it will be great on the field. Denver is going with the method that has a track record of failing more often then not.

As for the Manning point. I don't anyone says he sucks. Just that he's overrated. The talking heads on tv tell you he's the best ever BLAH BLAH BLAH. He's not. He has thrown way to many game costing picks late in the playoffs to be there. He's good. He's a hall of famer without question but he's not close to the best ever. Comparing Cassel and Manning deal is insane. No one is saying that Cassel is the best ever. They are about Manning. It's just not the same
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Man you got me. Glad you could counter my points.
    Nobody has said the Donkeys didn't a have a good team, as you were suggesting or was imply anything else that you were suggesting, STUPID. Your so-called "points" weren't even remotely suggested by anybody. What others are saying is this FA spending by the Donkeys could damage them over the long haul.

I don't know what you current occupation is, but you should go to the closest hospital and apply for a job as a bedpan, because with your IQ equivelant, you can't miss.

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast