Thread: Heart Attack Kids.....

Default Heart Attack Kids.....

For my own purposes I am renaming our Defense "The Heart Attack Kids". HAK for short.

I mean GEEZ!!! These guys are CRAZY! They let the enemy go up and down the field like a hot knife through butter, but come the Red Zone the HAK turns into Stonewall Jackson!!!!!

OH....and let's not forget.....4th down with the game on the line? The HAK just ain't going to let it happen!!!! NO WAY! NO HOW!!!!

F'ing incredible!!!!!! If the HAK had been defending Berlin in WWII we would all be speaking German.

Couple of questions? Hopefully some of you guys that are better at following stats than me can answer....

1) How many 4th down stops do we have this year?

2) How many 4th down stops do we have with 4th and goal to go?

3) What is our percentage of holding the enemy to 3 points once they get in to the Red Zone with a 1st down?

I bet the HAK is first in all three categories.

Last year our defense was flashy. They gave up a lot of yards but they always came up with a turnover or a pick-6. FLASHY. Not happening this year. This year the HAK just stiffens their spines and stuffs it right down the enemy's throat when it matters most!!!!!!

It's REALLY GOOD to be a Chiefs fan again!!!!!

Thank you Reid, Dorsey and all the coaches Reid brought in!!!!!

I can only answer the first and last questions. Since that one is very easily looked up. Our defense has allowed 4 conversions on 11 attempts. We are ranked 9th in the league by percentage. The patriots are 2/11. We are 3rd in 3rd down %, only allowing first downs 34.5% of the time.

Our red zone TD pct is 42%, which is 2nd in the league. That means we give up TDs 42% of the time in the red zone.

BTW, I'm not sure if either of those were updated after today or before today.

To figure out the other stats, you would probably have to look up the game logs and figure it out.

I am very impressed. This defense has become the epitome of bend but don't break (which is what Crennel tried to do). They don't give up too many big plays. You may drive down on them, but you may not punch it in. They now have an attitude of winning. Just because the offense stumbles (like the fumbles), they don't give up and let the other team score. They have been stepping up when needed the most.

Thank you for taking the time to look those stats up! I wouldn't have known where to look otherwise I'd have done the legwork. I'm kind of surprised at the stats, but as you say, perhaps they were not yet updated to include this week.

EXACTLY RIGHT about the "bend but don't break". The big thing being that under Sutton they have developed the confidence that allows them to not break.

Updated stats.

Opponents are now 4-14 on 4th down conversion attempts (28.6%) against the Chiefs which is tied for 6th.

Only twice have teams not kicked a field goal on 4th and goal against the Chiefs. Both attempts failed.

-The Jets threw an incomplete pass on 4th and goal at the Chiefs 3 yd line.
    -The Seahawks threw an incomplete pass on 4th and goal at the Chiefs 2 yd line.

In 31 trips into the red zone the Chiefs have given up 13 FGs (42%), 13 TDs (42%), and made 3 stops on 4th down (10%). This includes the the two stops on 4th and goal above and the Bills threw an incomplete pass on 4th and 10 at the Chiefs 15 yd line. There was also 1 fumble through the endzone (touchback) (3%) and 1 missed FG (3%) from the Chiefs 20 yd line.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

You know the annoucers hit it on the head yesterday. This defense is a read and react defense which is why it is very hard to throw a screen on us. We are not going up field with our ears pinned back getting burned for screens. That is why teams are able to run on us successfully until we get down on the short field or in short yard situations. Then the defense buckles up and attacks. Consequently every time we did give up a 3rd down or something, it was from the QB scrambling or hitting a TE after he released from his block. They will not give up the long pass and will give the small stuff up to prevent the big play, but when it comes down to it, they can stop. It is no wonder our defense suffered after Houston and Hali got hurt last year. We are able to provide pressure with just the front guys. When we lost that last year we had to make pressure which opened up holes in the secondary.

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    Updated stats.

Opponents are now 4-14 on 4th down conversion attempts (28.6%) against the Chiefs which is tied for 6th.

Only twice have teams not kicked a field goal on 4th and goal against the Chiefs. Both attempts failed.

-The Jets threw an incomplete pass on 4th and goal at the Chiefs 3 yd line.
    -The Seahawks threw an incomplete pass on 4th and goal at the Chiefs 2 yd line.

In 31 trips into the red zone the Chiefs have given up 13 FGs (42%), 13 TDs (42%), and made 3 stops on 4th down (10%). This includes the the two stops on 4th and goal above and the Bills threw an incomplete pass on 4th and 10 at the Chiefs 15 yd line. There was also 1 fumble through the endzone (touchback) (3%) and 1 missed FG (3%) from the Chiefs 20 yd line.
    Thanks for the update Topeka! I truly appreciate the effort. I'm not afraid to do the work myself, just wouldn't know where to go to get the info.

So if I understand the above numbers correctly, we are only giving up 4.19 points every time a team makes it into the red zone. That seems exceptional to me. In addition, this indicates that when an opposing team gets in the red zone their is a 16% chance they will come away with ZERO points. ESPECIALLY if the game is on the line. Also very good. And a lot of this success has come against 2 pretty darned good teams in the last 2 weeks--the Buffs and Seachickens. Our defense seems to be getting tougher every week. It's not like we've padded our numbers in this area against poor teams. This is turning into a VERY IMPRESSIVE bunch of Heart Attack Kids!

IMHO this is a statistic that could be CRUCIAL in a playoff run. The ability to hold or limit points when the PRESSURE is at it's peak is the kind of thing that wins playoff games.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    You know the annoucers hit it on the head yesterday. This defense is a read and react defense which is why it is very hard to throw a screen on us. We are not going up field with our ears pinned back getting burned for screens. That is why teams are able to run on us successfully until we get down on the short field or in short yard situations. Then the defense buckles up and attacks. Consequently every time we did give up a 3rd down or something, it was from the QB scrambling or hitting a TE after he released from his block. They will not give up the long pass and will give the small stuff up to prevent the big play, but when it comes down to it, they can stop. It is no wonder our defense suffered after Houston and Hali got hurt last year. We are able to provide pressure with just the front guys. When we lost that last year we had to make pressure which opened up holes in the secondary.
    This is a real interesting point. What you say here seems to indicate that Sutton has made some substantial changes in his defensive philosophy from last year. Last year it seems to me that we were running a much more aggressive defensive scheme. A scheme that was mostly about QB pressures, sacks and passes broken up or intercepted. It worked well because they did it fairly well. Seems like this year we are running a more conservative defense that is willing to give up the short gains for most of the field but feels that when it's crunch time and the field is short they can make the stops. Though as you say, that may have more to do with Houston and Hali getting hurt last year. But it still seems like before they got hurt we were running more of a gambler's defense than we are this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    I think the biggest thing that goes along with that is we have been able to put pressure on the QB with just rushing four people. In our base defense that is 3 down linemen and one OLB. In Nickel, it is Hali, Poe, Bailey, and Houston all going after the QB. I think I read that we are blitzing a lot less this year, but are still putting pressure on the QB. That leaves our LBs to drop back into coverage and be able to read the screen plays. This has also helped our pass coverage because the LBs are there to help in coverage of short/middle passes, allowing the CBs to focus on the deep routes.

I think this also has a little bit to do why we are (sometimes) poor in rush defense. The LBs first step is to drop back in coverage, unless it is obvious short yardage (i.e. 4th and goal on the 1). That gives the offense that one extra step which results usually in an extra yard or two.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    This is a real interesting point. What you say here seems to indicate that Sutton has made some substantial changes in his defensive philosophy from last year. Last year it seems to me that we were running a much more aggressive defensive scheme. A scheme that was mostly about QB pressures, sacks and passes broken up or intercepted. It worked well because they did it fairly well. Seems like this year we are running a more conservative defense that is willing to give up the short gains for most of the field but feels that when it's crunch time and the field is short they can make the stops. Though as you say, that may have more to do with Houston and Hali getting hurt last year. But it still seems like before they got hurt we were running more of a gambler's defense than we are this year.
    I wonder if that philosophy change was planned in the offseason, or if the injuries to DJ, DeVito, Mays and Berry (earlier in the year) made them hesitate to trust their replacements with an aggressive defense.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    I wonder if that philosophy change was planned in the offseason, or if the injuries to DJ, DeVito, Mays and Berry (earlier in the year) made them hesitate to trust their replacements with an aggressive defense.
    I dunno. I do have to ask though.....How much better could this defense be if we hadn't had those injuries? I have to wonder if we wouldn't be looking at one of the best defenses the NFL has ever seen? Or have our "depth players" really stepped up that much?