Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cassel signs multi-year contract

Default Cassel signs multi-year contract

According to the KC Star, Cassel has signed a multi-year contract.

Chiefs sign Matt Cassel to multi-year contract | Red Zone

I had hoped that they would give him one year at $15 million, since we have all of the cap space in the world, and then decide what he is worth in the off season. I am sure he would have been more than happy to make $15 million vs $10 million this year. Why would they make a long term decision on him when they had a whole season to make a decision? Maybe they decided they needed to give him a long term deal to boost his confidence?

It does seem a little premature but Cassel's success last year combined with trusting Pioli's insticts has me mostly excited about this extension too.

6 year deal for $60 million, 28$ million guaranteed. It looks like we have our franchise QB fellas.

Chiefs QB Cassel signs six-year contract worth over $60 million

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    I had hoped that they would give him one year at $15 million, since we have all of the cap space in the world, and then decide what he is worth in the off season. I am sure he would have been more than happy to make $15 million vs $10 million this year. Why would they make a long term decision on him when they had a whole season to make a decision? Maybe they decided they needed to give him a long term deal to boost his confidence?
    Good teams sign good players long term. Its obvious that Pioli/Haley think MC is the future of the franchise - or why bother trading away our 2nd pick to get him?
    SHUT IT

Anyone still think that the QB position is still open for competition?

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Anyone still think that the QB position is still open for competition?
    Why no, I don't.
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    Good move. If you're willing to trade a 2nd for Cassel, you sign him long term. Halfway measures never won anybody anything.

The big question now is whether we keep Thigpen for the final year of his contract or trade him now when his value is highest. I say keep him unless someone offers too much (2nd rounder or higher) to say "no."
    You have any ideas as to interested teams? I've been playing with different scenarios since this was announced. The best one I've come up with is Thiggy and the ATL second to Arizona for Boldin. A kid can dream :) I think they've given up on Leinart, though I don't think Thigpen is the type of QB that would allow them to be successful with the long ball like they have been, plus they're going to want to make another deep playoff push, no sense in trading for a future QB now.

Thanks Aussie!

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    Why no, I don't.

Me either.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    With how the talks are going with the uncapped year next year. he would have been guaranteed 150% pay raise. Im sure that Pioli and Haley saw everything that they needed 2 at OTA's 2 give him this contract. and he is still getting that 15 million this year.
    Last edited by warcrychief; 07-14-2009 at 06:02 PM.

All this bodes well not only for Cassel (who hit the pay day while) but for the Chiefs as well. With Pioli negotiations he frontloaded the contract and gaurenteed the Chiefs have Cassel for at least 3-4 years while not overpaying him (I.E. Detroit/Stafford). With gaurentees in-I think the $28 million dollar range-he payed a NFL experiencedQB ~$13 million less and locked him up for the forseeable future, or at least the years leading up and into his prime hopefully.

After more details of the contract come out we can see how his contract also affects:

A) The Chiefs current cap surplus (somewhere estimated in the ~30 million dollar range piror to his signing).

B) Negotiations with our 09 draft picks (the negotations with Tyson Jackson mainly [as well as our other draft choices] should/will be the main focus of the front office now that the QB situation is settled.

C) The affect on the team and the trickle down from the top now that it looks like the team is shaping up (financially at least)

Just what I was hoping to hear after a couple of weeks of drought on the news front.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast