Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Knile Davis the next Devin Hester?

Default Is Knile Davis the next Devin Hester?

I know it's only preseason, but look at these stats:

In game one Davis returned a kick for 79 yds.

In game 3 he returned 2 kicks for 129 yds. One of those went 109 yds which is as far as you can go. One more yd would have put the kick through the end zone and made it unreturnable.

That's 208 yds in 3 attempts (69.67 yds per return). It's hard to do much better than that.

If he's not Devin Hester, He's at least Dante Hall, isn't he?

Discuss ...
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    How much of it is Davis or just our special teams in general. David Toub appears to be the best signing so far this year.
    Another reason I am hesitating to declare him a great return man.

My biggest fear long term is that our special teams are going to look ridiculously awesome this year, and Toub is going to get pulled away to become a head coach somewhere. There were talks that he wouldn't want to work in KC as ST coach because he was a candidate for HC elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post

My biggest fear long term is that our special teams are going to look ridiculously awesome this year, and Toub is going to get pulled away to become a head coach somewhere. There were talks that he wouldn't want to work in KC as ST coach because he was a candidate for HC elsewhere.
    I don't know about that. Toub was with the Bears for 9 years ('04-'12) and would have been there a 10th year if they hadn't fired Lovie Smith. I think the only reason we got him is because he worked with Reid in college.

Toub was interviewed by Miami for the HC position but didn't get the job. It seems like GMs always want an "offensive guy" of a "defensive guy" (or a former head coach). I think he could be with the Chiefs for a long time, but it's gonna cost them.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post

If that is the case, why is he just a ST coach and not an assistant HC or something in addition.

Not sure. But he did interview for the Bears job last year before signing with us, and for the Miami job in 2011. Maybe he is just satisfied with being the best at what he is good at. I hope that is the case and we keep him here a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    I don't know about that. Toub was with the Bears for 9 years ('04-'12) and would have been there a 10th year if they hadn't fired Lovie Smith. I think the only reason we got him is because he worked with Reid in college.

Toub was interviewed by Miami for the HC position but didn't get the job. It seems like GMs always want an "offensive guy" of a "defensive guy" (or a former head coach). I think he could be with the Chiefs for a long time, but it's gonna cost them.
    He was one of the guys that the Bears interviewed for HC. I dont think he is likely to become a HC, but I can see a scenario where he becomes one.

He has not coached anything but ST. If he is going to be a HC, he needs more experience coaching than just Special Teams. I could see Andy giving him more responsibilities and allow for mentorship making the KC job attractive.

The only thing that will go against him is that Reid wanted EVERY kick returned in the preseason to see what he had. I don't think he is going to get the chance to return many in the regular season

After watching last night's game I'm still not that impressed with Knile Davis. Aside from the one big return what has there been to get excited about? He seems to constantly hit small holes and get stopped. I think his fumbles could be coached out of him (ala Jamaal) but his vision or shortage thereof concerns me a bit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12