Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Latest 1st round mock

Default Latest 1st round mock

24. Kansas City Chiefs: Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State
    The upside Benjamin possesses is unequal in next year's draft. He's a massive wide receiver at 6'5 and more than 230 pounds and can make spectacular catches look routine.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2013/12/30/ 5255782/2014-nfl-mock-draft-jadeveon-clowney-johnn y-manziel-bridgewater

I guess I'm gonna have to watch the NCAA championship game now.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    Tex, I don't disagree with most of our ideas, but I am a little concernd that you would trade Bowe and not want to draft someone at the top of the draft. With or without Bowe we need another WR. I can see Hemingway replacing Bowes production (both as a blocker and WR) but as you say we need that speedy route runner on the other side.
    The draft is the last opportunity the team has to add talent to the roster. If you're cutting $22m in payroll, you should have plenty of resources to get comparable production. As I was saying on my show last month, Bowe is getting very sloppy in his route running. I think that is the primary cause for his decline in production. The offense has been getting pretty good this last quarter of the season even without Bowe contributing. The whole point of trading Bowe is to at least get a comparable contribution at a fraction of the price. This is the same concept being applied as the whole Geno Smith debate last year... except, instead of the #1 overall pick, we're talking about a $12.5m cap hit. There are better ways to utilize those resources. You can get more production for that money considering Bowe has produced in the bottom third of players at his position. The reason people still like him is why he's still a good trade candidate. He still has value and teams will offer good value for him banking on a fluke down year instead of a post-contract downward trend.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaChief View Post
    I don't agree. If we get someone to compliment Dwayne Bowe he will be a tough match up. Right now he is getting everyone's best and as others have said, he is not complaining. You put Bowe Opposite Welker and Thomas in Denver and he is a big play threat. He is not the blazer, but could make big plays with a true blazer keeping the safeties honest and a good possession/slot reciever as mentioned benefits Decker. Kelce may be a good fit, as Moeaki was, if he can also stay healthy, would also help create the "seperation" everyone desires.
    Good route running gets separation. Donnie Avery is plenty fast and made enough plays this year for defenses to implement a "honest" game plan. McCluster demands enough attention in the slot for Bowe to benefit from the effects you think a guy like Welker would offer. The problem isn't the pieces around Bowe, it IS Bowe. I'd bet you couldn't name the guys who surround Josh Gordon, Calvin Johnson, or Andre Johnson. Doubt many people could name the #2 across from Fitzgerald or DeSean Jackson. The Bears have a great 1-2 punch on the outside in Jeffrey and Marshall, but they don't have an elite offense, even though they have a gunslinger at QB like Cutler. Bowe has had productive years with miserable QBs and nobody else on offense with whom to help take coverage away.

The problem isn't the other players around Bowe. The problem is Bowe's lack of commitment to the team and his poor attention to detail. This offense requires things from its receivers that Bowe just doesn't think is all that important. He runs sloppy routes and doesn't do much on the back end to compete for the football. Even when it hits him dead in the hands, he still drops more than he should. Bowe is good for 1 or 2 GOOD catches per game. You could get that from some random, average, replacement level WR who produces near the league average and only makes $3 or $4mil per year instead of $12.5m.

Why pay $12 for name brand when you can pay $2 for the store brand that does the same exact thing? It's all about utilization of resources and tying up $12.5m in a WR who isn't even performing at league average in an offensive system that is all about throwing the ball is a poor way to spend money... ESPECIALLY for a team who is currently sitting right at the salary cap before we even talk about re-signing or franchising Branden Albert.

Avery can't run routes or catch the ball, he's Sammie Parker. And Dexter is not an every down player, and he's a small downfield target. You get rid of Bowe, you make another hole that needs to be fixed. You put in a sub standard replacement, it will give defenses more excuses to pay attention to Charles or our lackluster TE's since Smith likes to throw to them

Quote Originally Posted by rodu View Post
    Avery can't run routes or catch the ball, he's Sammie Parker. And Dexter is not an every down player, and he's a small downfield target. You get rid of Bowe, you make another hole that needs to be fixed. You put in a sub standard replacement, it will give defenses more excuses to pay attention to Charles or our lackluster TE's since Smith likes to throw to them
    He IS the "sub standard replacement"... that's my whole point! You can replace his production with someone who doesn't make nearly as much money! That's EXACTLY what I'm trying to say! lol

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    He IS the "sub standard replacement"... that's my whole point! You can replace his production with someone who doesn't make nearly as much money! That's EXACTLY what I'm trying to say! lol
    The man was a pro bowl player for a reason. Yes I do agree that he is not playing like last year, but we are not creating any problems for Ds who keep doubling him. Haley proved that Bowe needs a task master. Andy, the OC, or the receivers coach has to be that.

He's paid as an elite WR but he's not producing like one. Now, you're saying he needs someone to hold his hand in order to be motivated enough to produce at a high level. The guy is eating up $12.5m in cap space and producing at a below average level. Maybe he can produce at a high level again, but I just don't think he's worth the hassle. If $12.5m isn't enough motivation to keep you on track, then you're probably not worth the trouble. This offense needs more DeSean Jackson than Terrell Owens.

An elite WR makes plays when he needs to. Bowe didn't punch the TD in early in the game. He had numerous untimely drops. He didn't fight for the ball and when it mattered most, he couldn't get his feet down. This guy is NOT an elite WR. He is trade fodder. PERIOD.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    An elite WR makes plays when he needs to. Bowe didn't punch the TD in early in the game. He had numerous untimely drops. He didn't fight for the ball and when it mattered most, he couldn't get his feet down. This guy is NOT an elite WR. He is trade fodder. PERIOD.
    My only concern is giving away the best player at the weakest position on the offense. Without knowing what WRs are available in FA that we could get cheaper, I don't know how I feel about that. I thought he played great. There was only one drop that I saw, and that was with a defender on his back.

Bowe looked like a star today

Another sloppy route by Bowe allowed the defender to take him to the sideline and prevent him from making the play. If he fought up field harder instead of letting the defender ride him so far, we're talking about a Chiefs win. It's been like that all season! It doesn't take much at this level for the tipping point of any one particular play. Precise routes are the difference between making a catch and not... there could not be a better example of this than the Chiefs last play of their season. Bowe just put an exclamation point on what I've been saying since the bye week.

Quote Originally Posted by rodu View Post
    Bowe looked like a star today
    Really? Hilton looked like a star today. Bowe looked like a #2... which is what he is.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast