Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jon Baldwin

Default Jon Baldwin

I'm pumped about having someone on ye other side of Bowe. But reading this article, I hope it's a homerun and not a bust. What's your thoughts?

http://www.bigblueview.com/2011/2/1/...-wr-pittsburgh

Love him. Watched him play for Pitt. Hope it's nice come game time.................

Well, I am disapointed that we seem to have made a major reach with our first round pick, and again opted to leave the undewhelming OTs as-is (pending the FA period).

But there really is no questioning that it addresses a major need, and, in my opinion, our single biggest positional need at WR.

And I REALLY liked the rest of our draft to this point.

Not sure what the plan is for the DE. But the LB was a fabulous bargain in the third round. Just hope the character concerns are all under control, and/or over-rated.

And I really like that we seem to have taken a serious stab at manning the C spot along the O-line. (At least I HOPE he plays C. We are already pretty heavy on OGs.)

I would have preferred a guy to compete at both OT spots in the first.

But this draft is the easiest to swallow since Vermiel and Roaf left us.

I don't think there is anything that could go so wrong in the remaining couple of rounds to make me not like this draft.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Well, I am disapointed that we seem to have made a major reach with our first round pick, and again opted to leave the undewhelming OTs as-is (pending the FA period).

But there really is no questioning that it addresses a major need, and, in my opinion, our single biggest positional need at WR.

And I REALLY liked the rest of our draft to this point.

Not sure what the plan is for the DE. But the LB was a fabulous bargain in the third round. Just hope the character concerns are all under control, and/or over-rated.

And I really like that we seem to have taken a serious stab at manning the C spot along the O-line. (At least I HOPE he plays C. We are already pretty heavy on OGs.)

I would have preferred a guy to compete at both OT spots in the first.

But this draft is the easiest to swallow since Vermiel and Roaf left us.

I don't think there is anything that could go so wrong in the remaining couple of rounds to make me not like this draft.
    I Completely agree

I agree that Baldwin was a reach at the spot we took him. But reaching to fill our biggest area of need is somewhat acceptable. He wouldn't have been there when we picked again in the 2nd rd. Rumors are that the chiefs wanted to trade down but couldn't find any willing partners. I also think the frenzy of the ravens missing their pick impacted our ability to trade out of the spot.

Not sure about the reach comments. Rumor has it the Bears tried to trade up with Baltimore and had the deal done, in efforts pick Baldwin before the Chiefs did. The trade deal was a done deal but not given to the NFL in time so the 26th pick expired before a selections. The Chiefs supposedly turned their pick in immediately once this happened, to make sure they got Baldwin before that 26th confusion didn't get cleared up.

He was projected to go 29th to the Bears, but the Chiefs trading back, complicated that for the Bears.

While is a rumor and no one will ever confirm it to save face, but I believe he was going 26th either to the Bears or the Chiefs, so it wasn't a reach.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    Not sure about the reach comments. Rumor has it the Bears tried to trade up with Baltimore and had the deal done, in efforts pick Baldwin before the Chiefs did. The trade deal was a done deal but not given to the NFL in time so the 26th pick expired before a selections. The Chiefs supposedly turned their pick in immediately once this happened, to make sure they got Baldwin before that 26th confusion didn't get cleared up.

He was projected to go 29th to the Bears, but the Chiefs trading back, complicated that for the Bears.

While is a rumor and no one will ever confirm it to save face, but I believe he was going 26th either to the Bears or the Chiefs, so it wasn't a reach.
    There's an insider story on ESPN about this that I'd be really curious to see. Does anyone have insider access? The headline is "Ravens-Bears trade snafu fallout" and the blurb says "Will league force second-round trade?". So I'd be really curious if that was what you were referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post

Pretty sure this is right. Read a quote from Pioli saying that they acutally did have suitors calling to trade up, but when the whole Bears-Ravens fiasco went down, it made Pioli pull the trigger ASAP on him to ensure that we got him.

You gotta realize too, he was projected as an early 2nd round pick 33-40, pick 26 was only 7 picks away from the 2nd round.... not much of a reach. Now if he was projected to be there for us in round 2 (which I never saw a mock that had him available a 55) then I would be more upset, but I think he's got alot of upside and it will be nasty if Haley gets the production out of him and Bowe that Haley has been known for.

Baldwin was pretty much the consensus 3rd best WR in the draft, so I don't think it's a huge reach. IMO he probably wouldn't have made it past Cleveland in round 2, if not sooner. I imagine the Packers might have thought about him too w/ Driver being a dinosaur and Jones an impending FA.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    Baldwin was pretty much the consensus 3rd best WR in the draft, so I don't think it's a huge reach. IMO he probably wouldn't have made it past Cleveland in round 2, if not sooner. I imagine the Packers might have thought about him too w/ Driver being a dinosaur and Jones an impending FA.
    They actually did take Randall Cobb in round 2 I believe, so this was actually a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post
    There's an insider story on ESPN about this that I'd be really curious to see. Does anyone have insider access? The headline is "Ravens-Bears trade snafu fallout" and the blurb says "Will league force second-round trade?". So I'd be really curious if that was what you were referring to.
    I went to the draft this year. Teams like Baltimore that took the entire 10 minutes and then didn't even make a trade were annoying as hell. Cowboys did the same thing, no surprise there. They need to shorten the clock in the 1st round. It was pretty funny to see Baltimore/KC scurrying to get the pick in. I really had no idea who they were going to take. Evryone they were targeting was still on the board at 21. By pick 26, 2-3 players on the Chiefs board were gone.

All that said, this was the best draft on paper I have seen the Chiefs have in a long time. Better than last year's draft class on paper. Last year, I remember several people on this forum screaming about how bad the draft went. Last year's class turned out to be great, but it wasn't great on paper. It didn't fill many of our positions of need. This year's draft class seems to be better, let's hope they live up to the billing. If the 2011 class is as good as the '10 class, then there will be a new powerhouse in the AFC West.
    Last edited by Coach; 05-07-2011 at 08:24 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast