Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moves that can (and should) be made immediately

Default Moves that can (and should) be made immediately

We talk too much about what we should or shouldn't have done in the past. That doesn't help us now. Here's two moves that I think can make us a better football team immediately.

The offensive line needs to be completely blown up. Now.

For whatever reason, Pioli didn't land us a single impact offensive lineman in free agency. No point in harping on it at this point. Let's talk about what he can do now.

I'm pretty convinced that Brandon Albert is not an NFL left tackle. There's a reason that throughout 2008 draft preparation the experts were saying that he could be a pro bowl Guard, and can also play tackle. So let's just move him to Shields old spot and let him go to pro bowls, instead of be a liability at the most important position in football.

Start Alleman over Niswanger at C. Why not? Niswanger hasn't done anything positive.

Sign Jon Runyan and start him at RT within 2 weeks.

Sign Langston Walker to play LT. Hell, the Bills suck but they obviously saw something in him that made them think he'd be a pretty good starter at LT since they traded theirs to the Eagles.

Walker / Waters / Alleman / Albert / Runyan

Alternately, I wouldn't kill myself if we didn't sign Walker and went this route:

Albert / Waters / Alleman / Ndukwe / Runyan

Boom, new offensive line. Can't be any worse than our current one. Do it.

2. Jamaal Charles should be starting over LJ.

I don't care what anyone says. Charles has been a better running back than LJ from the moment he was drafted.

- He had 5.3 yards per carry last season to LJ's 4.5.
    - He has 4.4 yards per carry this year to LJ's 2.5.
    - He's a better pass blocker than LJ.
    - He's a better pass catcher than LJ.
    - He's faster and is a threat to break free.
    - He's younger and will actually be on this team 2 years from now, unlike LJ who will definitely be cut at some point because of his contract versus his production.

Everyone says he has this major fumbling problem. Guess what? LJ had a fumble for every 20 attempts last season. Charles had 1 for every 35.

The other thing I hear is that he's a change of pace back and not a starter. Guess what? In his only significant action last season he had 18 carries for 106 yards (5.9 YPC).

Charles should be our Chris Johnson and LJ should be our LenDale White. Do it.
    Last edited by yashi; 09-28-2009 at 09:48 AM.

I agree LJ has lost some as he has gotten older. But realy I do not see any back doing the job until the line is fixed. Better to beat on LJ and not waste our other backs on futile plays that could get them hurt. Make the guy earn his pay check and save our young talent for next year.

i agree on the line, but no running back is going to do us anygood untill the line is fixed.

I do like your suggestions Yashi. While I am not convinced they are going to bring someone in, I think there is very solid reasoning in moving Albert back to his strong position. That also leaves the flexibility of moving him back to LT or even better RT in emergencies. Who we fill the left tackle position with, I am not sure.

Its funny, but right when LJ fumbled on Sunday, I could not help but think: "that should be the guy you cut to make an example of". Do I think it will happen? NO. However, Haley should at least give Charles the chance.

betwwen lost and nowhere,southcentral ks.

What makes me mad is they knew the oline was bad when both were hired but didnt do anything to fix it. To me this is as much our cheap owners fault as the other two`s.
    i can remember what a chief super bowl team looks like! ......

the pressure on cassel came off both ends not up the middle, nisewanger has done allright. the problem is at both tackles

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    We talk too much about what we should or shouldn't have done in the past. That doesn't help us now. Here's two moves that I think can make us a better football team immediately.

The offensive line needs to be completely blown up. Now.

For whatever reason, Pioli didn't land us a single impact offensive lineman in free agency. No point in harping on it at this point. Let's talk about what he can do now.

I'm pretty convinced that Brandon Albert is not an NFL left tackle. There's a reason that throughout 2008 draft preparation the experts were saying that he could be a pro bowl Guard, and can also play tackle. So let's just move him to Shields old spot and let him go to pro bowls, instead of be a liability at the most important position in football.

Start Alleman over Niswanger at C. Why not? Niswanger hasn't done anything positive.

Sign Jon Runyan and start him at RT within 2 weeks.

Sign Langston Walker to play LT. Hell, the Bills suck but they obviously saw something in him that made them think he'd be a pretty good starter at LT since they traded theirs to the Eagles.

Walker / Waters / Alleman / Albert / Runyan

Alternately, I wouldn't kill myself if we didn't sign Walker and went this route:

Albert / Waters / Alleman / Ndukwe / Runyan

Boom, new offensive line. Can't be any worse than our current one. Do it.

2. Jamaal Charles should be starting over LJ.

I don't care what anyone says. Charles has been a better running back than LJ from the moment he was drafted.

- He had 5.3 yards per carry last season to LJ's 4.5.
    - He has 4.4 yards per carry this year to LJ's 2.5.
    - He's a better pass blocker than LJ.
    - He's a better pass catcher than LJ.
    - He's faster and is a threat to break free.
    - He's younger and will actually be on this team 2 years from now, unlike LJ who will definitely be cut at some point because of his contract versus his production.

Everyone says he has this major fumbling problem. Guess what? LJ had a fumble for every 20 attempts last season. Charles had 1 for every 35.

The other thing I hear is that he's a change of pace back and not a starter. Guess what? In his only significant action last season he had 18 carries for 106 yards (5.9 YPC).

Charles should be our Chris Johnson and LJ should be our LenDale White. Do it.
    Amen to this post and btw....I was a caller for Charles to be the starter a long time ago. These guys get more beat up taking 5 balls a game than 20. They need reps to get a rhythm. Look at Sproles for SD...LMAO..He is the smallest guy in the league!

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnut View Post
    the pressure on cassel came off both ends not up the middle, nisewanger has done allright. the problem is at both tackles
    Oh the plowed through the middle too.. On numerous occasions!
    I can't remember who missed those blocks, but it wasn't all off the edges.

if we sign walker or runyan, they have to learn a whole new playbook, and earn chemistry with the rest of the line....the only reason we traded for alleman and ndukwe is bc they ran a similar system in MIA, and are serviceable on the line (thats why we only gave up a 5th rounder...)...

we are stuck with the current line guys. runyan is totally washed up and injury prone, and Walker is just another band-aid....he is not going to be any better than what we currently have as hard as it is to believe...

and as far as LJ, a runningback is only as good as the offensive line...its really that simple. Charles cannot be an every down back, and LJ has made some good runs in my opinion...he may be a little slower than some of the others, but alot of it has to do with the O-line, quarterback, coaching, and defenses we have faced thus far...LJ will only improve from here on out, especially after NYG and the bye week...

Runyan is just Turley part two. No thanks. Give O'Callahan his shot.

This post rocks.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast