Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: If the 2013 draftees step up?

Default If the 2013 draftees step up?

I find myself reading this board and it seems to be in such a panic. Rightfully so maybe, we got destroyed in the first off-season phase of free agency. We do have some holes primarily in depth some with more immediate needs. However if fisher, Kelce, commings, Cooper, Catapano if these guys can step up and some contribute some start and do well. How much stress does that relieve surrounding this team?

Personally I think this team is not in bad shape and you have to love the freedom and flexibility we have with our first round pick. Ya we are limited with our number of picks but the potential to land any number of players at 23 or lower if we can trade back who can immediately contribute is crazy and at the end of the day that's all you can ask for.

Bottum line we have to trust what Dorsey and Reid are doing and assume they have a plan until they prove otherwise. I'm excited for draft day because I have absolutely zero idea what te chiefs will do. However all the people that could be available I dot see very many that the chiefs could take and I would be upset because they could all contribute. It's gumna be exciting and I can't wait to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Well Thank you at least for that. But I would like to remind you of a fact. There was a time when it was "highly unlikely" that a "Wildcard" (using the verbiage that was in use at the time) team would ever win the Super Bowl. I well remember the first time a "Wildcard" team ever won the Super Bowl. Now it has become almost common. But I would like to ask you again.......What coach that Clark Hunt could have ACTUALLY GOTTEN would have had a substantially better chance of winning a Super Bowl for the Chiefs?

You really shouldn't tell us Reid was a bad choice and has little or no "Historical/Odds" chance
    without telling us what coach that we could have ACTUALLY GOTTEN was the Odds-on guy to coach us to a Super Bowl win.

Until you answer that question you really aren't much more than a Reid-hater and complainer.

If you want to tell us Reid ain't the guy, then you should have the courtesy of telling us who "the guy" was.

I'm waiting.
    Chill out and keep waiting. I can't tell you that any more than the Mara's knew that Bill Parcell was a future legend. I can tell you guys I would have considered first, and you'd shoot them down, of course, because really neither of us know who are the hot coordinators and college coaches.

I didn't want Chip Kelley. I wanted Ray Horton. I wanted something fresh and new. Not stale and "proven" retread.

Most Chiefs fans have been so beaten down by past failures they wanted someone "proven" to make it all better. We'll see what happens.

PS: There might be a time when farts without scent is possible. I'm not going to keep sniffing until then.
    ...in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Coughlin, Belichick, Vermeil, and the others were no legends of any kind. None of the guys that I listed were, except Don Shula and I forgot to add Weeb Ewbank to that list. Landry, Noll and Gibbs never coached a 2nd team.

Andy Reid has not totally neglected the running game, but he does prefer to pass first.
    I stated that poorly and forgot Ewbank, thanks .

Ewbank, Landry, Noll and Gibbs (yr 11), Belichick and Coughlin are the only coaches to win a Super Bowl after their tenth year, regardless of how many teams they coached. All are legends except Coughlin.
    ...in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
    This has been covered before.
    So? A lot of what we've talked about has been discussed before, it's not stopping anyone else. Just stand up for the guys you wanted signed/traded.

What does “support” have to do with anything? I’m not calling for Reid’s head or calling him a flop. He’s already gotten the Chiefs back to respectability, just like Philly. I just expect a repeat of the Marty years. Close, but no cigar.

Last year was the most fun I had as a Chiefs fan in years. I was skeptical of Reid and remain so, that doesn’t mean I don’t “support” him. I would much rather enjoy a SB and be wrong.

Of course odds against any coach, but there is a profile of the winners. Reid doesn’t fit it. Nobody knew who Bill Parcells was. No one knew what Jimmy Johnson could do in the NFL. No one knew if past failures were misleading for Mike Shanahan, Bill Belichek and recently Pete Carroll. Who was Bill Cowher? Or Bill Walsh? Or Joe Gibbs?

None of them were “proven”. Andy Reid is. That’s what KC wanted and that’s what they got. Let’s hope he bucks a trend starting since Super Bowl I.
    OK. I can deal with that. To me at least you've been coming across very negative about Reid but I'm willing to write that off as my interpretation of your words rather than your actual intent.

I still have a bone to pick with you though.....

I just expect a repeat of the Marty years. Close, but no cigar.
    That may well be. But I'll tell you what....If Reid's record here were to closely resemble his record in Philly it would be quite a few years before I was willing to say maybe it was time for Reid to go. As you said, this past year was a BLAST! And it was the closest we have gotten to a playoff win in 20 years. I want a Super Bowl win as badly as most any Chiefs fan, but right now I'd be very happy with some "baby steps"....making the playoffs more than 50% of the time......a couple of playoff wins....consistently being a realistic contender for the playoffs well into the last 4 games of the season.

Yeah I want a Super Bowl win but you have to make the playoffs before you can think about the Superbowl.

Is Reid another Marty? Maybe so. Maybe not. But I really don't think you are the "all knowing Oz" who can tell us for sure one way or the other. He did get Philthy to the Super Bowl. And the truth is that once you get to the Playoffs ANYTHING can happen. The best team in the playoffs does not always make or win the Super Bowl. The best coached team in the playoffs does not always make or win the Super Bowl. An injury, a tipped pass, a single blown coverage, a safety slipping, a normally reliable kicker missing a bunch of Field Goals or a host of other things.....all of these things can be the difference between 2 closely matched teams making the Super Bowl or not and even winning the Super Bowl or not. Remember Lin Elliot? Remember Jan Stenerud against those damned fish on Christmas day all those years ago? You can't win the Super Bowl unless you make the playoffs. And once you make the Playoffs anything can happen.

And you ain't ever going to win the Super Bowl if you don't make the Playoffs. And IMO Reid was the very best possible Head Coach available who gave a us a real chance of being in contention for the playoffs on December 1st every year.

I understand your 44 years of frustration. I've been a Chiefs fan since the late '60s. So I too know the frustration. But I expect progress, not instant perfection. Reid and Dorsey earned the right to some time last year.

2014 may well be a bump in the road. It appears to be a tougher schedule than 2013 turned out to be. And we did lose some Free Agents that have been important to the team. But I don't see that either Reid or Dorsey could have avoided that. I mean, it's not like last years draft was all that deep.

Now is not the time to be saying "Reid isn't good enough". Unless of course you want to say who we could have gotten that was better. But I have asked you that twice before and you have ignored it both times. So I suspect you don't have an answer.

Reid has done GREAT so far. And I honestly believe he will do even better over the next 3-4 years. If he does, we will have some fun seasons and a very realistic chance of playing in the Super Bowl. I don't know how much more anyone can ask than that.

Chill out and keep waiting.
    I am chilled. I like where this Chiefs team is headed.

I can't tell you that any more than the Mara's knew that Bill Parcell was a future legend. I can tell you guys I would have considered first, and you'd shoot them down, of course, because really neither of us know who are the hot coordinators and college coaches.
    That's right. None of us knows who IF ANYBODY would have been a better selection than Reid. So it's all OPINION and we all know about opinions. Like ashholes, mine stinks as bad as yours.

Most Chiefs fans have been so beaten down by past failures they wanted someone "proven" to make it all better. We'll see what happens.
    My opinion was that Reid was the most likely to return us to long term respectability. Better a proven commodity than a wild stab in the dark. But then I've already addressed "opinions" and yours is no more valid than mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    So? A lot of what we've talked about has been discussed before, it's not stopping anyone else. Just stand up for the guys you wanted signed/traded.
    I've posted specifically who I wanted and didn't and how it could have been done. It's out there. Go find it. I'm not your lackey.

Besides, what difference does it make? Even if I went to the trouble of re-posting it you'd try to poke holes through it. Even if it were the most brilliant, well designed GM strategy ever, you'd say, "Duh! As if Dorsey didn't think of that."

So far the Chiefs' offseason sucks. They could have done a lot of things and did nothing but pick from the scrap heap. The talent level on this team has stepped backwards. Not one player who left was upgraded, and that includes Vance Walker.
    ...in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    I am chilled. I like where this Chiefs team is headed.

That's right. None of us knows who IF ANYBODY would have been a better selection than Reid. So it's all OPINION and we all know about opinions. Like ashholes, mine stinks as bad as yours.

My opinion was that Reid was the most likely to return us to long term respectability. Better a proven commodity than a wild stab in the dark. But then I've already addressed "opinions" and yours is no more valid than mine.
    None of that changes that in general, with few exceptional exceptions, retread coaches don't win SB. 11+ year coaches don't win SB. Teams with the talent & vision to find the next big thing do.

Its remarkable how similar Reid and Alex Smith are in that, KC fans are so downtrodden they are willing to accept B grade answers as saviors. You’ve been beaten down by so many Matt Cassels, Elvis Grbacs, Herm Edwards, Romeo Crennels and the like that you’ve given up on searching for the elusive next big thing.
    There is nothing guaranteed with anything in life -- QB, HC, wife, etc. But as Wayne Gretsky said, “You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.”
    ...in my opinion

I've posted specifically who I wanted and didn't and how it could have been done. It's out there. Go find it. I'm not your lackey.

Lame. Just gave you a chance to state your case. Was (and still) willing to listen. If it'll make you feel better, I won't even post a response. Again, since you've played critic, just wondered exactly what KC should have done, and should have signed, given the cap space & draft position.

Besides, what difference does it make? Even if I went to the trouble of re-posting it you'd try to poke holes through it. Even if it were the most brilliant, well designed GM strategy ever, you'd say, "Duh! As if Dorsey didn't think of that."

If you post it yes it's going to get criticized. To be specific it's other posters that have ripped your posts to shreds. And yes it's easy to sit back and play critic, little bit different when you get asked to present your solution. So far you've played critic. What few solutions or ideas you've brought up, guess what...everyone else criticized, too.

So far the Chiefs' offseason sucks. They could have done a lot of things and did nothing but pick from the scrap heap. The talent level on this team has stepped backwards. Not one player who left was upgraded, and that includes Vance Walker.
    Again, more criticism, more negativity. Ok, so you've come to the conclusion this offseason has sucked, the talent level on this team has stepped backwards, and Vance Walker is no upgrade. Again, so what was your solution? Go back as far you wish, you've stated you'd rather have Ray Horton as a head coach instead of Andy Reid.

Again the talk of the upgrade of what we lost I will ask again
    WHAT DID WE LOST THAT WAS SO GREAT? Is this thing working this has yet to be answered
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

What did KC gain that makes this team better than last year?

and yes, i know, the draft is coming.

The only thing that can be said is "other teams over paid" "KC didn't have the money"

There is reason to be worried and there is reasons to feel okay about everything.
    Last edited by doobs_05; 04-11-2014 at 06:24 PM.

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast