Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tony Gonzalez

Default Tony Gonzalez

Gonzalez: A 'disgrace' if Thigpen isn't QB in 2009
    December 7, 2008 11:12 PM

Tony is making it clear.

CP Gone. Just another reason Gonzo will be here next season. He even endorsed Edwards. The guy is staying.

Quote Originally Posted by tornadospotter View Post
    Gonzalez: A 'disgrace' if Thigpen isn't QB in 2009
    December 7, 2008 11:12 PM

Tony is making it clear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Good to see. I agree with Tony, but I think we still need to get a backup QB through thee draft. Even if the Chiefs used their 1st pick on a QB, Thigpen would/should be the starter. I would prefer the Chiefs not use their 1st pick on a QB now that Thigpen is playing well.
    We NEED a QB back-up that is great; if we can get a full game QB put Thiggie in back-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Nel Toille View Post
    I agree that QB shouldn't be as high of a priority now that Thig is playing well enough to be the guy, however, if Bradford is available when the Chiefs are on the clock, you'd be an idiot to pass him up. I don't I can say that about McCoy, Stafford or Harrell
    But we do need another QB.
    Hey! I though that Chiefster and me were the only ones old enough here to use the, smiley.
    How are old you two?
    Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    CP Gone. Just another reason Gonzo will be here next season. He even endorsed Edwards. The guy is staying.
    Do you got that straight from Tony's mouth?
    <a href=http://i48.tinypic.com/2ihmnft.gif target=_blank>http://i48.tinypic.com/2ihmnft.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by hardcorechiefsfan View Post
    We NEED a QB back-up that is great; if we can get a full game QB put Thiggie in back-up.

How are old you two?

How old are the hills and the plains of the Chief Nation.

How old are the hills and the plains of the Chief Nation.
    Wow, that is old! (Respectfully-speaking of course.)
    <a href=http://i48.tinypic.com/2ihmnft.gif target=_blank>http://i48.tinypic.com/2ihmnft.gif</a>

How are old you two?

From ESPN:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3771725
    excerpt from the article:
    "I would expect there to be other changes as well," the nine-time Pro Bowler told the AP. "When things go this badly, changes are usually made. I think most players would be supportive of Herm."

Wow, that is old! (Respectfully-speaking of course.)
    I was just asking!

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    From ESPN:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3771725
    excerpt from the article:
    "I would expect there to be other changes as well," the nine-time Pro Bowler told the AP. "When things go this badly, changes are usually made. I think most players would be supportive of Herm."
    Thank you. That saved some time. Although, now that i'm looking at the quote, he doesn't necessarily endorse Herm like I said he did. He said he expects "most players" to be "supportive." He didn't necessarily include himself, although, I don't know why he'd say that unless he was one of them.

Of course TG would endorse Herm. He's a players coach, so players are going to love the guy.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post
    Of course TG would endorse Herm. He's a players coach, so players are going to love the guy.
    So, you don't think players can see things objectively? You say he's a player's coach as if that makes him a bad coach. Personally, if the coach has the support of people who are IN the organization AND the players, then I don't think he shouldn't just be thrown away. Is this team complete and exactly where we all want it to be? No. But something has to be said for a guy who has lost as much as he has and STILL has the support of almost EVERYONE inside the organization.

This team was gawd awful before Gailey and Thigpen figured the offense out. They could've just quit the rest of the way like they did last season. But that hasn't happened. Yeah, they haven't won a bunch of games, but they haven't quit. Nobody on this team has quit yet.

Y'all talk about how bad of a coach Edwards is, but this team is young and is going to make mistakes. One of the biggest stats you can look at to get an indication about coaching is penalty yardage. The Chiefs rank 26th in the league as far as penalties accrued. They currently have 67 penalties for 526 yards. That's only 100 yards less than the best team in the league (Patriots). Being a league leader in this category indicates a disciplined and well coached team. Look at the most penalized teams in the league (Cowboys and Raiders) and you'll see there isn't much coaching or disciplining going on there. The Titans are the third more penalized team, the Giants and Ravens are 6th. I have to think that is because each of those defenses are extremely aggressive and probably account for more penalties than their offenses do.

The Chiefs are also tied for 3rd in Turnover Differential at +8. Only the Chiefs and Browns are teams in the top 15 in that department who ARE NOT in the playoff hunt.

I'm not saying this team is complete. It still has plenty of work that needs to be done to it, but when you're in the top 10 in Turnover Ratio, you always have a good chance to win ball games. As I've posted in another thread, if you look at what this team did with 40+ 1st, 2nd and 3rd year players along with the unbelievable rash of injuries and having to play half the season without a direction at QB and still be in contention to win possibly 8, 9 or 10 games this year was incredible!!!

Did Herm make bad coaching decisions? Hell yes he did!! I'm absolutely positive he did. EVERY coach does. Is this team's record entirely HIS fault? Absolutely not and it's ridiculous to even try and say it is. Rookie play and bad luck is responsible for some of it as well. This season is going to prove to be a valuable season for the young guys and is going to go a long way to solidifying the foundation for this team.

Even with Herm as the head coach, an honest fan HAS TO agree that if the Chiefs signed a few key free agents this season to go along with another good draft class, a more developed offensive system, a complete LB corp, a pass rushing DE, healthy CBs, and a favorable schedule, this team has a great chance at competing for the division crown next season.

If this team isn't over .500 with Herm as the head coach next year, I'd be ok with letting him leave before the 2010 off season. Even though the Chiefs will still be a young team in 2009, they should be better than a .500 team. I just think this team is a lot better than most of you think it is and is only a few players away from being legit playoff contenders.

There are three things that I grade a head-coach on as to whether he can get the job done or not. You can have your opinion of Herm, but I have mine, just like the rest of the members on this forum. With that said, here's the first thing.

The ability to find and teach talent by Draft or Free Agency. Actually, I find Herm to be pretty good in this aspect. It is clear that there is some talent on this field, even if some of it was unexpected. (Thigpen)

The second thing is formulating a game-plan and motivating the players to execute it to perfection, as well as come to the game with energy and emotion. I feel that he's done this as well. We're close in the games, for the most part, and we always seem to get off to a good start.

The third thing is the ability to manage the game. It's one thing to make a game-plan and get players to execute it, but it's another to make adjustments when needed. He has clearly NOT been proven to do that AT ALL! He has lost us a lot of games in the 2nd half this season, and I fully blame Herm for not preparing these guys in that locker room at half-time. He makes absolutely NO adjustments, and it is a complete joke seeing this team in the 2nd half. Not to mention, he's still a horrible clock manager.

Some might say 2/3 is pretty good, but not when you're a head-coach of an NFL Franchise. If you can't do all three flawlessly then you aren't good enough to be a head-coach in the NFL, and it's that simple. Of course, this is all my opinion, too.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123