Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Detriot figured out who they want..maybe

Default Detriot figured out who they want..maybe

Rumor from another website form a source, says they are looking toward Jason Smith OT from Baylor.

Any thoughts?

I think this would be good if its true. Cause pretty much we can guarentee Curry will be there.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

I've heard they've talked to several canidates to begin preliminary negotiations on contract details. JAson Smith, Aaron Curry, Eugene Monroe, Stafford, Raji etc... They still have private work outs to wade through so any news up to this point that isn't solid is just another product of the rumor mill.

That being said I fully expect them to go with Stafford at number one.

Quote Originally Posted by DT14PRIEST View Post
    I've heard they've talked to several canidates to begin preliminary negotiations on contract details. JAson Smith, Aaron Curry, Eugene Monroe, Stafford, Raji etc... They still have private work outs to wade through so any news up to this point that isn't solid is just another product of the rumor mill.
    That being said I fully
    expect them to go with Stafford at number one
    that would be good for them-they've picked enough WR's. Stafford scored a 38 on his wonderlic, smart dude. Now they should just go ahead and sign him so we can figure on Monroe, Smith, Curry

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    The obvious answer is trade down, but we all know that's a long shot.

I think Raji at NT or Smith/Monroe at LT (should they drop) are better picks.

I just don't see the fuss about Curry. He's a versatile LB that can play the 3-4 or 4-3. He's great against the run. He's going to be a very good to great LB in the league. He's a safe pick in that respect.

But he's a LB. Like safeties, CBs, WRs, RBs, and TEs, I think LBs are very bad players to draft high. A LB is usually replaceable (not under Herm/CP, sure, but they were idiots). It's usually a bad idea to sink too much money in that position.

Am I missing someone, or has there been a good LB taken in the top-5 since DT? And DT was a pass-rushing LB that could rack up sacks. Curry isn't, which isn't a knock against him, but he isn't that guy.

Where I could see us getting a very good LB in the 3rd round - someone who could start at OLB from day 1 - I don't see us getting a LT or NT there.

And I just think a NT is a bigger need for us than LB, should Smith/Monroe go 1 and 2. Right now, we have no one on the DL who I trust in the 4-3, much less the 3-4. Dorsey isn't a NT (he's barely big enough to be a 4-3 DT), and I'll never understand why Tank has defenders on this board. I just don't see us having a lot of choices here.

Even in its cobbled state, a 3-4 LB corps of DJ/Vrabel/Beisel/Williams would be adequate (not good, but adequate) to get us through 2009. A 3-4 DL of Dorsey/Tank/Hali isn't. A 4-3 DL of Dorsey/Tank/Hali/Draft pick isn't, if we decide we can't move to the 3-4 this season. Teams will just run on us, wearing our LBs out and controlling the clock unless we get a big DT in the middle of that line.

Our DL in 2008 was the worst of all time. This isn't exaggeration. We couldn't rush the passer or stop the run. As good as Curry is (and don't get me wrong, he is good), he isn't going to be able to fix that problem. A big NT like Raji could go a long way to helping our DL look respectable in 2009.

I dont like Raji I do not think it is that great watched film on him and yeah he looks okay but have not seen anything special. Dorsey is going to be a beast im telling you he has a year under his belt and he did not have a horrible season especially when he had no help and could be double teamed. I think Curry can be a beast but honestly I am hoping smith or monroe falls to three because we could move Albert back to being a G and he would dominate at that position or if worse comes to worse move to the right side I just think with a new QB we got to protect him and thats most important. I am really tore though because I personally like Orapko better than Curry. I dont know I will be a fan whoever we sign draft day

Quote Originally Posted by honda522 View Post
    Rumor from another website form a source, says they are looking toward Jason Smith OT from Baylor.

Any thoughts?

I think this would be good if its true. Cause pretty much we can guarentee Curry will be there.
    Yeah I think this is great! We really need Curry and id we DO get him it'll be just another piece to the puzzle of getting The CHIEFS back to the top!

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppachief View Post
    I dont like Raji I do not think it is that great watched film on him and yeah he looks okay but have not seen anything special. Dorsey is going to be a beast im telling you he has a year under his belt and he did not have a horrible season especially when he had no help and could be double teamed. I think Curry can be a beast but honestly I am hoping smith or monroe falls to three because we could move Albert back to being a G and he would dominate at that position or if worse comes to worse move to the right side I just think with a new QB we got to protect him and thats most important. I am really tore though because I personally like Orapko better than Curry. I dont know I will be a fan whoever we sign draft day
    This urban legend that Dorsey was double teamed needs to stop. He was knocked on his a$$ by single defenders all year. He might get better in 2009, but he was miserable, especially against the run, in 2008. We need a big, space eating DT. It doesn't have to be Raji, but it needs to come from somewhere in the draft (or less likely, FA).

If you haven't seen anything special about Raji in gametape, watch him at the Senior Bowl.

We aren't drafting Orakpo. We're moving to a 3-4, and he's too small to play DE there. And we're not drafting an OLB/DE hybrid at 3.

When it comes to Curry, I think we all need to quit comparing him to DT. DT will always hold a special place in most of our hearts even if, statistically, Curry out performs him. Let's be honest, when DT was drafted who really believed he was going to be as special as he was?
    "If you need braggin' on, let someone else do it"-my dad

Quote Originally Posted by prough91 View Post
    When it comes to Curry, I think we all need to quit comparing him to DT. DT will always hold a special place in most of our hearts even if, statistically, Curry out performs him. Let's be honest, when DT was drafted who really believed he was going to be as special as he was?
    I wasn't old enough to talk when he was drafted, but every Chief draft choice is special until proven otherwise!

This urban legend that Dorsey was double teamed needs to stop. He was knocked on his a$$ by single defenders all year. He might get better in 2009, but he was miserable, especially against the run, in 2008. We need a big, space eating DT. It doesn't have to be Raji, but it needs to come from somewhere in the draft (or less likely, FA).

If you haven't seen anything special about Raji in gametape, watch him at the Senior Bowl.

We aren't drafting Orakpo. We're moving to a 3-4, and he's too small to play DE there. And we're not drafting an OLB/DE hybrid at 3.

Honestly the more I watch film on Everette Brown the more I like that kid. He is a pass rushing machine. I just wish the draft would get here though tired of waiting lol

When throwing as much money at a guy as you have to in the top 5, there are also other qualities to look at.
    How is that guy as a person? Will he provide stability in the locker room? Or will he be someone you have to trade / release in 3 years because of greed / off-field problems? Or will he spend half his career in jail or suspended?
    Thats the main reason I like Curry over the other excellent athletes who will be there when its our turn, he is a PRO!

I don't think there is enough evidence on Curry to say that he can't pass rush, so that might be something worth investigating more closely.

It would be awesome to have a big-mean NT to crush the pocket on every play too, but I just don't know if Raji is worth that kind of money either.
    Last edited by brish; 03-24-2009 at 04:06 PM.

People need to stop the Curry love. When was the last time a top-5 LB turned out to be worth the pick? DT. And Curry's no DT.

Smart move by the Lions. Smith will anchor their line for the next decade. They can go QB either with the 20th pick (if Josh Freeman is there), they can go with more OL (Duke Robinson or Alex Mack), or they can go LB/DL.

They have enough holes on the team that any they can pick the best player on the board.
    completely agree I would not waste a high pick on a LB they are a dime a dozen

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast